Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback - 2.5L w/ 5 speed MT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I was on here but I recently got another 2nd gen Outback and I'm having a weird problem. After installing a new stereo deck I noticed that my turn signals and hazard lights were no longer working. I pulled the stereo back out and played around with some bundled wires and all of a sudden they started working again, only it was intermittently. As I continued to play with the wires they stopped and started and stopped and started with no rhyme or reason. Any ideas what's causing this? Loose ground? Loose wire?

I reinstalled the stereo with the turn signals on and as I buttoned everything up they were working just fine. I took it for a drive and if they stopped working I would hit the dash area and they'd start again. Another thing is... the hazards don't work at all unless I turn the signal stalk as if I were using a turn signal. Then all four lights come on as they're supposed to.

I really hope this isn't some electrical gremlin and instead just a relay or flasher problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
18,849 Posts
I would hit the dash area and they'd start again.
Where on the dash? Near the hazard switch? If so, then are you sure the 8-wire harness connector at the hazard switch is attached properly?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anywhere on the lower portion though I recently went out again to mess with it and now it's not working at all. When it was though I was hitting on the sides where the stereo is mounted or even down by the shifter. When I was messing with the wires and getting them to work it was behind he stereo where they sit on the transmission hump. I hope what I'm saying makes sense. I'll take some pictures this weekend and post them here.

·
Registered
18,849 Posts
A loose connection, or a damaged (internally) Hazard Switch could do that.

I asked about the Hazard Switch because it has to be connected and working properly. If the Hazard Switch is not connected neither the hazard lights nor the turn signals will work. If the connection to the switch is loose, or the switch is damaged inside, there could be intermittent operation, or odd operation, of both functions depending on the fault, which seems to be what you are experiencing. The Hazard Switch is just above the stereo/heater controls, and it, or the wiring to it, might have been disturbed during the radio replacement.

Does the horn work?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, you were right. I pulled everything apart and sure enough, the hazard switch slipped right off. Somehow it had been broken before so when I reinstalled everything I made sure it was on there nice and snug but I may buy a new one to avoid this from happening again in the future. Thank you so much plain OM! You saved me a LOT of headache!

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Man, you were right. I pulled everything apart and sure enough, the hazard switch slipped right off. Somehow it had been broken before so when I reinstalled everything I made sure it was on there nice and snug but I may buy a new one to avoid this from happening again in the future. Thank you so much plain OM! You saved me a LOT of headache!
Pull and pay yards are great places to get those switches at low cost

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know Mike. Thank you! Just looked on Rockauto and they have them for $16... not too bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts