Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback 2.5L Manual VDC
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, this is my first post... sorry if i do something wrong :x

So around 3 months ago i bought my Subie Outback 2002. It is the VDC version (unsure if I'm happy about that or not) without a Limited Slip Differential. Around 1 month ago, I was at a beach with my friends and i was sure i would be able to drive on the sand as it wasn't too soft and i saw another subaru EA82 doing it just fine with standard tyres. I pulled onto the sand got about 100 meters and the car just wouldn't go anymore even though i wasn't bogged or anything. Every time i lifted my foot from the clutch the car would just stall, even if i was at 3000RPM and dropping the clutch... At the time i thought it might have been the clutch not having enough pressure to grip the flywheel (I am getting a new clutch anyway as the throw-out bearing is buggered) but after reading some more i think it might have been the traction control/VDC limiting the revs on me which was making me stall.

I have read that some automatic trans OBs have the ability to put a fuse into the "FWD" slot and that would remove traction control... I've tried this on my manual trans but no light appears on the dash to indicate anything.

Now, i know this is a touchy subject for everyone (VDC traction control and all >:) ) but i'd like to know if there's a way to disable the traction control on manual 2nd GEN OBs.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
wow you got a odd ball there = a VDC 2.5 manual.

and I guess it has no factory VDC off button. (is this a old JDM car?)

________

suggestion when off roading pull the ABS fuse. this will disable the VDC system from slowing your revs when it thinks you are spinning too much.

_____

(my own H6 VDC has a "VDC off" button and that keeps it form intervening up till I get to 37mph = 60kph,....so I would have to really be spinning to get up past that).

_____

edit: and I hope you are airing down the tires= tyres, on the beach. with a pump ready to adjust and get them back up when you get back to the pavement.

Reactions: hirdse

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm in Australia not sure what versions other countries have and no there's no "VDC off" button, that would be making my life too easy xD

Pulling the ABS fuse is a good idea, it would stop the brakes from working on the wheels which also may have been my problem.

And yeah the tyres went from 35 psi to 20 psi, then i got stuck and put them down to 15 psi and needed a still needed a tow out ;(

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,163 Posts
oh and manual transmission cars will not have a FWD fuse option.

VTD ones do not either.

both make for a mechanical vs. a electronic center diff.

and the FWD fuse option works with the duty solenoid on simple old 4 speed automatics. (handy if you are running a spare or have any other AWD problem in those cars,

but off road a legacy or a legacy outback would be quite a heavy car to be spinning one front wheel at a time).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,163 Posts
Yeah, I'm in Australia not sure what versions other countries have and no there's no "VDC off" button, that would be making my life too easy xD

Pulling the ABS fuse is a good idea, it would stop the brakes from working on the wheels which also may have been my problem.

And yeah the tyres went from 35 psi to 20 psi, then i got stuck and put them down to 15 psi and needed a still needed a tow out ;(
don't feel bad, tow straps and beach cars go together. = everybody gets stuck sometime

what with the sink holes and quicksand that just appear / disappear daily. (even jeeps, land rovers, and FJs).

______

:welcome2:

plenty of good beach mods though, lots of them made by and for Aussies. ...like skid plates and lift kits.
(hope you don't ever "need" a roo guard).

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
531 Posts
you don't have a VDC but you could have some kind of traction contol we nver had in north america

the MTX car are AWD all the time with a 50-50 power ratio

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
609 Posts
wow you got a odd ball there = a VDC 2.5 manual.

and I guess it has no factory VDC off button. (is this a old JDM car.
Yes. we got them here as well in NZ ( ie MT 2.5 VDC 2nd Gen) - JDM ex Japan 2nd hand.
Not sure about them not having a VDC off buttton.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,163 Posts
Yes. we got them here as well in NZ ( ie MT 2.5 VDC 2nd Gen) - JDM ex Japan 2nd hand.
Not sure about them not having a VDC off buttton.
do those gen2 BE BH bodies have a "VDC" logo on the fender?

or just the cool little side amber light that the US /Canadian specs are sadly missing?

...and I think this is a early VDC one, without VTD. (JDM imports = weirdo limited production,...and occasionally really cool).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

or just the cool little side amber light that the US /Canadian specs are sadly missing?

...and I think this is a early VDC one, without VTD. (JDM imports = weirdo limited production,...and occasionally really cool).
It does have the VDC logo on the fender and the side indicators. I believe 1st GEN OBs didn't have VDC or VTD, 2nd GEN was the first to get VDC and Subaru was probably just using us as guinea pigs... Not sure if it has VTD, i thought VDC and VTD were implemented at the same time and that one doesn't work without the other or something (I haven't looked into this thoroughly).

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Thats really odd the 2002’s were throttle by cable to the go pedal, but they did have a rev limiter if you pinged the max revs. Im not sure how vdc is even possible on the old manual trans they were very simple mechanical viscous disk systems.
My 01 GT Limited 5spd didn’t even have wheel spin limiting via throttle reduction. You could pin it and spin all four till the rev limiter pegged or a tire let go.

I Think your clutch was simply slipping under the heavy load and the tires weren’t turning.

Oh and yes 1st is tall you dump it with the go pedal mashed to the floor and chugg out of that stuff or simply stall and get a tow.

·
Registered
609 Posts

The 2nd / 3rd gen BE/BH manual 2.5's I've seen here in NZ have VDC logo on the tail gate.(ex JDM)

Have made a point to look to see if auto or manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats really odd the 2002’s were throttle by cable to the go pedal, but they did have a rev limiter if you pinged the max revs. Im not sure how vdc is even possible on the old manual trans they were very simple mechanical viscous disk systems.
My 01 GT Limited 5spd didn’t even have wheel spin limiting via throttle reduction. You could pin it and spin all four till the rev limiter pegged or a tire let go.

I Think your clutch was simply slipping under the heavy load and the tires weren’t turning.

Oh and yes 1st is tall you dump it with the go pedal mashed to the floor and chugg out of that stuff or simply stall and get a tow.
The throttle is controlled by a cable, but i think VDC actually prevents the fuel from igniting or something of the sorts. If my clutch was spinning, surely if i was dropping the clutch at 3000 RPM the revs would continue to rise as i was flooring it. My friend did say that for a second after lifting the clutch the wheels would spin but after a second the wheels would stop spinning and the revs would drop at around 1500 revs per second so it stalled pretty quick... I like VDC for on road driving, it's a great system but for offroading it can be a pain in the arse :headshake

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,908 Posts
wow. Another rare model H4 with VDC . Amazing. So as i see it there is one simple solution to make ABS switch from ABS fuse. as i made my VDC switch from VDC fuse. it works perfectly for me. with ABS off your VDC will stop working too. and light should come up on dash that ABS and VDC off.

and if you dont have those VDC lights come up then i think you dont have VDC.

. I like VDC for on road driving, it's a great system but for offroading it can be a pain in the arse :headshake
maybe newer models works diff as they dont have fixed gears to choose too. but as i tested VDC works miracles on snow , mud or sand. just need to use 1,2 gears and not D. i made couple videos of my tests and how it works and helps. VDC off good only with momentum, if you need go slow and climb VDC off would get you stuck and go nowhere.
i wouldnt say that if not being tested that myself and its just works. with grippy tires as BFG TA KO2 it works at least. maybe with normal tires you wouldnt have enough grip , not sure , but in my tests i prove how much VDC goes forward and VDC off just dig itself.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,163 Posts
I think VTD needs the 4EAT and 5EAT transmission, (like the ones that came with the H6, and the turbo H4).

the last 2009 US spec 4EAT H4s did not have VTD, when VDC was newly standard in all subarus.

I would think this has the traditional center differential with manual AWD subarus.

and if you pop the hood the ABS system will say Bosch on it. back in the day, subaru did not need to get a japanese company to make a ABS system that would cycle with the VDC computer, when Bosch was already doing that with Audi and the rest of their german customers already. ...maybe the only german parts on a factory subaru.

= able to pull each wheels brakes independently to correct steering angle inputs.

I have been driving a VDC car since the spring of 2002, I don't remember it ever engaging without ice, ...or me purposely trying hard to break loose of the earth's surface. (I live too far away from a beach legal to drive on to try).

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Here is good info about different subaru awd systems and what cars they are used on.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...and-vtd-awd-systems-honest-attempt-48112.html
All 5mt subarus are continous AWD that just reacts to slippage as it ocours vs active awd that tries to anticipate slippage. So manuals are mostly same systems. And VDC are only 4eat / 5eat.

In any case if you have any kind of traction control no matter what year model ,turning off ABS will disengage it as well.

·
Registered
609 Posts
All 5mt subarus are continous AWD that just reacts to slippage as it ocours vs active awd that tries to anticipate slippage. So manuals are mostly same systems. And VDC are only 4eat / 5eat
There were some BE/BH 1999 -2003 JDM 2.5 MT VDC Legacy / Outbacks available here in NZ and in Australia as the Original poster has one.
The ones to NZ were from JDM market imported 2nd hand (used) from Japan.

Elsewhere outside Japan gets a limited choice compared to the Japanese domestic market where there are far more choices / variations.
Or in the case of the US market it lags 1 to 2 years behind in its timing of seeing some new models / features.
For example my 06 facelift JDM 3.0R SI Drive VDC is probably similar to a similar 08 US 3.0R.
NZDM /JDM 3rd gen Ouback / 4th gen Legacy BL/BP 2003-2008.

Also we can get 3.0R 6MT 03-08 BL/BP Legacy sedan /wagons ex JDM.
These also are imported from Japan JDM used (2nd hand)
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Ca...aspx?key=1343186423&advanced=1&rptpath=1-268-

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
yes there is always some models that are rare. same as 2001 2.5 NA with VDC without VDC button model as mine. but its so good car to drive in any conditions. i always try to push it and to see what it would do. in safe places of course. but i like always to test how it would drive act , how much is capable.
so can be some other rare models as well. guy who sold me this car had no idea what it had ... ;) lots rust yes but impresive VDC system inside too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.