Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0r with 110,000 miles
I changed out my driver side inner tie rod and after replacing it, my turning radius from lock to lock off.
I'll turn my steering wheel all the way to the right and it's about 1 and 1/8th turn before locking.
When turning my steering wheel all the way to the left from center, it's about 1 and 3/8th turn before locking.
So I somehow lost 1/8th of a rotation when turning right.

The steering wheel points straight.
The car goes straight.
The steering rack boot was put on correctly.
Tie rod was torqued to spec.

I used Moog EV800051 for the replacement tie rod if that matters. It was the exact length of the OEM.

The only thing I can think of is that I used an impact wrench with inner tie rod removal tool to get it off. Could this have damaged the steering rack or changed the settings somehow?

any suggestions?

EDIT: Problem solved. I think Amazon sent me the wrong part and the head of the tie rod was ever so slightly too big, so the steering wheel wasn't able to fully lock when turning right. The box had the right part number, but the part was slightly off.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
18,448 Posts
Did you get an alignment done after the tie rod was put in?

It may be that the Moog rod is slightly different from OEM, no surprise since they don't make the part for Subaru.

As long as the tire is not hitting the lower control arm, with a proper alignment it should be okay.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get an alignment done after the tie rod was put in?

It may be that the Moog rod is slightly different from OEM, no surprise since they don't make the part for Subaru.

As long as the tire is not hitting the lower control arm, with a proper alignment it should be okay.
I have an alignment scheduled for next week. I just feel like the steering is way off.

·
Registered
2008 Outback Limited, 2005 Forester LL Bean Edition
2 Posts
I know this is a year old but it seems the most recent post, I just ran into the same on my 08 Outback. I lost a ton of range turning right, even though it tracks down the road nicely and the wheel is nearly straight after Moog inner tie rod replacement. I got an alignment yesterday and the steer ahead angle was off the scale they said. They had it aligned in 10 minutes but couldn’t do anything about the loss of steering range to the right. I’m going to be removing the Moog and replacing it with a new part that more resembles the OEM design, as I have 90 days to replace parts and get it re-aligned. I attached the alignment printout. I need to address rear camber next. Just wanted to voice my concern, it seems many have run into this issue. I bought the Moog cheap off Amazon and there were negative reviews of this happening to other Outback drivers. Will be returning and trying a Beck-Arnley 101-6516 and then Carquest as last resort.
Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle Advertising

·
Registered
2008 Outback Limited, 2005 Forester LL Bean Edition
2 Posts
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0r with 110,000 miles
I changed out my driver side inner tie rod and after replacing it, my turning radius from lock to lock off.
I'll turn my steering wheel all the way to the right and it's about 1 and 1/8th turn before locking.
When turning my steering wheel all the way to the left from center, it's about 1 and 3/8th turn before locking.
So I somehow lost 1/8th of a rotation when turning right.

The steering wheel points straight.
The car goes straight.
The steering rack boot was put on correctly.
Tie rod was torqued to spec.

I used Moog EV800051 for the replacement tie rod if that matters. It was the exact length of the OEM.

The only thing I can think of is that I used an impact wrench with inner tie rod removal tool to get it off. Could this have damaged the steering rack or changed the settings somehow?

any suggestions?

EDIT: Problem solved. I think Amazon sent me the wrong part and the head of the tie rod was ever so slightly too big, so the steering wheel wasn't able to fully lock when turning right. The box had the right part number, but the part was slightly off.
Glad to hear you resolved it! I’m running into the same with my 2008 right now. Did you end up replacing it with a different part? I got a Beck-Arnley ready to install in hopes of regaining the range to the right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts