Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
09 OBXT LTD MT
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone confirm if this is a problem with the power steering pump or something? Needs fixing? Happens mostly on cold start before the car is warmed up. When I turn the steering wheel to the end (no matter which end left or right) there is a loud chirping noise and the steering wheels shakes back and forth until I let it off. Steering wheel sort of has a mind of its own.

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
627 Posts
When you hit the end you're not supposed to hold it there. You're prob'ly doing some damage if that's a regular practice of yours. The lock is there so you can't go too far and blow something up. The chirping and whining are there because you're putting extra strain (hydraulic pressure) in the system. It's crying. Begging you to stop.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
601 Posts
If you haven't done this, you may want to consider flushing the old fluid out and replacing with new. I've done it on my Toyotas and it achieved two things. First, it showed me that there were some pieces of rubber seals in the system (clue something more was needed) and it got condensation out which is important if you live where the temps get below freezing causing ice crystals in the rack & pinion. I just run the return hose into a bucket and plug off where it comes back into the reservior. Pour in new fluid with engine running and watch discharge bucket until the fluid clears up.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,322 Posts
I am going to check this out in Cherry. I don't think she does that. What do we call it? A forced lock?

I think there may be air getting into the system and this is the normal symptoms for air in the system and it is cavitating. These cars are hard to bleed when you change a pump or rack...believe me I know. I must have swapped Frankie's steering rack out 1/2 a dozen times.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,781 Posts
it is worth noting that the PS system on many Subaru models is subject to whining, fluid foaming, and 'jerkiness', if air is sucked in past a bad o-ring or ,rarely, a coupla other spots.

But, I THINK what k'nium is describing I have felt in many cars with power steering. The pressure relief valve cycling when you are at full lock.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,322 Posts
Ok, @kaitanium

Cherry does NOT do this. I can put all kids of pressure at lock and she just sits there quietly.

The times I have bled these systems out...the very last 1/8 turn to lock is always the worst to purge. I expect that is also the place errant air will migrate to since it is very difficult for the system to self-purge any air at the end of the travel during regular driving.

·
Registered
09 OBXT LTD MT
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses and sorry for the confusion on the typo in my title. So it sounds like this isnt a problem really. I dont normally pull the steering to the extreme ends but was curbing my wheel the other morning when I happened to pull it to the end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts