Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touring (Canadian Model) with Eyesight
485 Posts
So as promised, here is my 1st impressions of the Tuxmat.

Although they were shipped in a large box the slender arms that run down the space between the seat and the door were folded and needed some time to reshape. The lock that keeps the drivers mat from slipping forward was a slight pain to install. Instructions recommended using a stick of chalk to mark the round hole but haven't had chalk here in a decade so I opted for a pin. This sort of worked but I needed to keep moving the lock further back when inserting the large pin into the carpet. After a few tries I got it to a decent location. You really have to push the mat into place and it fits almost perfect. There is a little gap between the outer side of the mat and the door sill but that may move as the mat settles in. I only used a few of the clips where I felt necessary. I did however choose to slide the mat under the wide portion of the sill. My photos should speak for themselves, including the last one.

PS. As suspected, China is the country of manufacturer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Outback
754 Posts
I took the factory mat bracket out.

I wish they didn’t include that locker piece. It create a spot for stuff to fall into. I didn’t bother with it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, '08 Volvo V70
34 Posts
In case anyone is interested in an alternative to WeatherTech and Tuxmat, here are pics of the Oedro custom made mats that are sold on ebay. Like the other brands these are sculptured to fit exactly, hold water and mud, and are slip-proof. They sell for about $85-90 for two front and one full width rear mat. Let me live with them awhile before I comment on durability.
IMG_3547.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Legacy Sport
67 Posts
In case anyone is interested in an alternative to WeatherTech and Tuxmat, here are pics of the Oedro custom made mats that are sold on ebay.
I have had these now for a few months now and I think they are excellent. Getting 95% of the coverage of the Weathtech/Husky mats for about 50% of the price was a great compromise for me! Plus they look good, fit very well, and don't have an oder which I kind of expected them to have at first being a less expensive option. They clean very easily with soap and water as well.

·
Registered
485 Posts
7 months later and time for a spring cleaning. My mats looked absolutely horrible with all the salt and mud so today my isolation task was to clean them and see how much better the carpet looks. Well they certainly did a fine job of keeping all the white crap off the carpet but the hole around the fuel filler flap lever looked really bad. Upon inspection I realized that the plastic trim piece was victim to most of the salt. I also discovered that this trim piece comes off with the removal of one hidden screw. It washed up nicely. I vacuumed the minor debris on the carpet and cleaned all the trim floor pieces. The mats themselves cleaned up quite nicely. After reinstalling it all looks as good as new!

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Oh my word! Apparently my lever trim when all messed up with salt and crud looks like a dirty part of the human anatomy? Give me a break!!!!

Click on it and it should open anyways, sheash

·
Registered
485 Posts
One note is the clever little lock that pins into the carpet, then protrudes the mat so you can "lock" it from the topside, has a flaw. The ring in the mat, which has an oval hole to line up with the oval lock, spins freely. This means that the lock is almost impossible to secure. I had to take the pin lock out and really mess with it to get it to lock. After about 20 mins is finally decided to engage. All good now

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
In case anyone is interested in an alternative to WeatherTech and Tuxmat, here are pics of the Oedro custom made mats that are sold on ebay. Like the other brands these are sculptured to fit exactly, hold water and mud, and are slip-proof. They sell for about $85-90 for two front and one full width rear mat. Let me live with them awhile before I comment on durability.
View attachment 479629
These look nice. Unfortunately, here in Eastern Ontario, we get so much salt and crud during the winter months, the carpet on the hump would be a disaster. Other locations where this is not such an issue they would probably perform just as well as all the other mats.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Oh, a final word. Half way through the winter I started keeping small towels bunched up near the seats. When the mats started getting a quantity of water accumulating on them I would rub the towels to soak up the wetness. Every week or so I would remove the towels and wash them. This really kept the accumulation of water down to a minimum.

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited 3.6R
204 Posts
One note is the clever little lock that pins into the carpet, then protrudes the mat so you can "lock" it from the topside, has a flaw. The ring in the mat, which has an oval hole to line up with the oval lock, spins freely. This means that the lock is almost impossible to secure. I had to take the pin lock out and really mess with it to get it to lock. After about 20 mins is finally decided to engage. All good now
I loved my Tuxmats this winter. Two issues, #1 is it needs more clips and Velcro to secure properly as I still have a few areas than don't secure tightly. #2, the little lock/oval snapped and popped out. Not sure how or why as it is nowhere close to my feet. Now I have a big hole in my mat. I will contact the company for a replacement part. Overall impression is these mats are awesome and the coverage saved my carpets from a salty mess. Quality is excellent, I don't have any signs of wear or thinning.

Reactions: Sjrash

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
431 Posts
I've had mine for close to a year. I also had the problem with the locking pin not working on the drivers floor. Otherwise they are excellent quality, the way they look and general protection against the elements. I washed them out a few weeks ago and it was super easy to just remove them, get some soap and water and wipe them clean.

Reactions: Wilbour

·
Registered
485 Posts
the little lock/oval snapped and popped out. Not sure how or why as it is nowhere close to my feet. Now I have a big hold in my mat.
So I feel this is the biggest pitfall of the product. In my opinion this locking pin is not necessary as my mat fits so well there is nowhere for it to go. Having said that, their lawyers would argue that this attempt to secure the mat keeps the lawsuits at bay

Perhaps they could redesign an anti skid lock that clips onto the leading edge of the seat rails but again, the flexibility of the material probably wouldn't hold it perfectly in place. Still not much of an issue with the design of our accelerator as it is suspended from above. On the other hand, some vehicles have their accelerator hinged at the floor and any forward movement of the mat could be horrendous.

In the meantime, Tuxmat should offer a free replacement of the retaining lock if not redesign the pin altogether.

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited 3.6R
204 Posts
I contacted Tuxmat regarding a replacement retaining clip and they were sympathetic to hear about the defective clip and are happy to ship me a new one soonest. Great customer service!

Reactions: Wilbour and 2020XT

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
274 Posts
In the meantime, Tuxmat should offer a free replacement of the retaining lock if not redesign the pin altogether.

My lock pin mechanism has not broken but I asked them for more Velcro clips and they sent them right away. I'm sure they will send you a new retaining lock. Just email them, their Customer Service has been stellar.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts