Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 outback, when coming to a stop, engine starts to knock like it is unbalanced, presumably running on two cylinders, then stalls. It will start immediately and run fine but when I come to a stop again it starts all over. When this starts I can keep the car going if i increase RPM's. but when i go there is very little power, feels like it is running on one or two cylinders. I have replaced plugs and wires. Engine light says misfire in 1 and 3. Is this a coil or something else electrical?
Help

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,620 Posts
IACV? Throttlebody needs cleaning? Slipped TB?

CEL on? get the code read and post here is so.

many things could cause this problem.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,620 Posts
coil or slipped TB could be 'side specific' right?

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,427 Posts
I agree. Unfortunately pulling the timing cover for that side of the motor requires removing the accessory belts.

I would pull the #1 plug and run the motor with the spark plug wire attached and see what the spark looks like.

·
Registered
18,165 Posts
Coil assembly triggers cylinders 1 and 2, and cylinders 3 and 4. 1 and 3 would mean that both coils inside the coil assembly are faulty. But then one might expect misfires on 2 an 4 as well.

Plugs and wires were replaced, and if there wasn't any change with this I doubt it's the type of plug or wire. (Even if the cars are sensitive, I would think that changing faulty plugs or wires should lead to different symptoms.)

1 and 3 are on the right side, so anything that is common to both left and right sides is a less likely cause.

Misfire could also be a fuel issue -- something with the right side fuel rail.

Certainly need more information about the car and engine (could it be a 2.2?) and maintenance, including TB service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts