Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two different tread sets on my 2003 outback 2.5. I have found a matching set . Will it matter if two have more miles on them than the the other two ? As long as the tread patterns are the same ? Or do I need to get 4 new tires ? Also I am new in the Essex County New Jersey area and am looking for a good Subaru Guru .. thanks ..I should add these are fairly new tires probably 2500 miles on them tops ..and I am just starting to feel some binding when shes turned all the way .. like parallel parking or something ..I am hoping to avert tragedy

·
Registered
16,402 Posts
Transmission type?

The requirement is that the rolling circumference of all four tires be within 1/4-inch of each other (inflated to the same pressure). The rolling circumference is the distance the tire moves in one revolution.

Different brands of the same size tire often have have different circumferences. Different models of the same brand of tire (in the same size) can have different circumferences. Tires of the same brand, model and size made in different plants or on different molds, can have different circumference. And tires with the same brand, model and size will have different circumferences if their tread depth is different.

Consequently, to reduce the possibility of differences, the starting point should be all tires should be the same brand, model, size, and tread depth. In regard to tread depth, the depth should be measured with a proper tread depth gauge at several places around the tire. A difference of as little as 3/64-inch (1.5/32-inch) in tread depth from tire to tire can result in a 1/4-inch difference in circumference. (This varies slightly depending on the size of the tire.)

Or, measure the circumference of the mounted and inflated tires (car raised) around the center of the tread with a flat, flexible measuring tape (has to be at least 90 inches -- tire circumference will probably be in the 75 -85 inch range), and compare the readings. (Use a tape that has at least 1/16-inch markings, or better still, 1/32-inch.)

In your case, you already have different tires, and different degrees of wear. It's more than likely that the circumferences are different as well. If you're already sensing some torque bind symptoms, I think it's probably best to eliminate the tires as a possible cause or exacerbating factor.

And, do a search here for threads about tire circumference. Lots of information.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Automatic Transmission .Lets talk about torque bind symptoms . I only feel it when I am turned all the way . its like a stutter and theres a screech like a belt is bad ... is that torque binding ? . So I need four new tires.. STAT.

·
Registered
16,402 Posts
The "stutter" sounds right, but not the belt screeching -- that's not related to torque bind, but probably a worn/loose accessory drive belt.

Usual test for torque bind is to find an open, flat, clear, paved area, such as a parking lot. Drive the car in tight circles, with the engine idling, but not applying any accelerator. (Perhaps a bit might be needed in some cases to get the car moving.) The car should move on it's own, slowly but steadily. But if it seems to repeatedly move, then slow/hesitate, then move ahead again, that's a sign of possible problems in the AWD system that are causing torque binding. It will not normally be present when going straight.

But it should be noted that similar symptoms can be caused by bad constant velocity joints in the axles. So there will still be a need to do some troubleshooting to eliminate the possibilities.

As with tire circumference, there are lots of discussions here about torque bind. Probably a good idea to do a search and read through some of them. Best to be informed, especially if the work will be done by someone else.

p.s.; as you will see in the discussions, there's lots of opinions, all worth knowing about.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Automatic Transmission .Lets talk about torque bind symptoms . I only feel it when I am turned all the way . its like a stutter and theres a screech like a belt is bad ... is that torque binding ? . So I need four new tires.. STAT.
Are you sure this screeching noise isn't coming from the power steering pump? Most all cars will make a screeching noise at full steering lock because of this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it very well could be . I was thinking the same thing.. I did the torque lock test and my car rolled smooth and even ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts