Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I have to replace the drivers side low beam bulb,so I have to remove the battery.When I reconnect the battery,is there any special procedure,meaning just connect and crank? I know some vehicles have a certain procedure when you disconnect a battery.

Second,when I bought the bulb I went ahead and bought new spark plugs. I have the four cyc. Looks a bit tight on space.Any tips or tricks to replacing the plugs?(no specialty tools needed I hope)

Thanks ,Troy!

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
I'm not sure about the 2011, but the 2nd generations that have security systems will often go into valet mode when the battery is reconnected. It is a different type of security setting for valet parking. Mine is indicated when the security light blinks rapidly. Check your manual or this forum for "security system valet mode" if you have a security system.

You'll also have to reset your saved radio stations.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
It'll be fine. No valet mode on mine when I've disconnected it. Wait about 15 seconds to start it the first time. You won't hurt it... but it won't start... and you will be tempted to panic.

Don't. Just turn the key to on and program a radio station or two. Same thing happens after clearing CEL (Check Engine Light) codes, too. Normal, but disconcerting.

No answer for the plugs... but be glad (for once) you didn't buy an STI. I couldn't even see the plugs on mine, much less get to them.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,839 Posts
if the plugs are like either my 03 H6 OBW or my 06 WRX, you will need lots of options for small-ish extentions and I found one of these to be helpful;

mine aren't ecatly like those, i got a set of 3 for about $13 I think!

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,094 Posts
I don't think removing the battery will help. If you look, there's a piece of metal between the engine bay and the bulb. You need to either go through the wheel well (as described in the manual) or remove the bumper as some on here have done.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, done with both. The bulb change,pain in the A..! Changing the spark plugs was a piece of cake! Took longer to change the bulb out than changing all four plugs!!!!!

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
generally speaking, SOHC suabrus are easier than DOHC when it comes to plug replacement.

it has to do with the angle of the spark plug tube.
typically the SOHC tubes are angled up while DOHC tubes are horizontal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts