Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The late mode Outbacks ... mine is a 2002 ... have a two wheel drive option. If you install a specific fuse in the fuse box you convert the car from all wheel drive to front wheel drive and a light will come on on the panel saying FWD. Does anybody have any input on to whether this might prove beneficial for better gas mileage in the vehicle if you were to operate it in the front wheel drive mode?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,823 Posts
good observation and a very common question.

since the car will weigh the same and have the same aero drag, plus, the same rotating components will be turned by road friction on the now un-powered rear wheels and thru the driveshaft and some gears - you will not detect any fuel savings.

You may also, eventually, ruin the Duty C Solenoid or other electrical component with constantly applied voltage to a system designed for temporary use when fitting an under sized or 'odd' sized tire. Your manual will explain when that fuse slot should be used. Occasionally it will be suggested to try using it to help diagnose certain problems.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
The FWD fuse is not an 'option', it is a backup for when you have to do something like run an undersized donut spare on the rear of the car.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
It will not improve MPG.

It is not an "option".

It is meant to limp a damaged vehicle to get repaired.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts