Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2016 OB Limited 2.5 is approaching the two year mark with 45K miles. I started thinking about all the cars I have owned over the past 25 years and mostly VW/Audi, one Jeep Wrangler, a couple Mercedes. In all cases after two years I was anxious to trade in or trade up. Gotta have that new GTI with 6-Speed or that new A4 looks awesome in Black etc. I take my Outback in to the dealer for service as always and run into my sales guy who tells me that he can make me a “deal” to trade in my 16 for an 18. For the first time, I have no interest trading in my Outback. I love the Tungsten color, love the features and love this car. The OB has run flawlessly over the 45K miles and at this point cannot think of any reason to trade in or up for that matter. I’ve never loved a car more and for the first time, I may still drive it well past the payoff. I believe Subaru got it right with the Gen 5 OB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,312 Posts
We really like our OB. especially since we have done a few small mods. It is such a handy and practical vehicle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't see any reason to trade a '16 in for an '18. No significant difference between the two and and a 2016 is still relatively new. I prefer to keep my cars as long as possible. I bought my 2015 Outback in November of 2014 and I've put over 50,000 miles on it and honestly it is just now starting to feel familiar to me.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
my sales guy who tells me that he can make me a “deal” to trade in my 16 for an 18.
There are two different programs, Subaru Care Connect and Subaru Equity Connect. These are based upon the minor detail that, nowadays, a huge number of Subaru customers are conquest purchasers (meaning they've come to us from other brands) and those people are used to trading in every two or three years. And since, at least on our lot, the only low mileage one owner Subaru's we typically see are our own retired service loaners, we really DO try to make as good a deal as possible for you to get into a new car.

Last month we had two 2015's that came off lease, both of them 3.6R. One lasted 5 days, the other lasted 8. Earlier this month, I had a 2013 Forester that we took in on trade on Wednesday evening. I sold it Friday, still sitting on the rack in service. (Yes, they did take a test drive in it.) We'd love to have a whole row of pre-owned Subaru's. I'm typically lucky to have two. (At the same time, I obviously see things from your perspective as well. My wife drives a 2015 Forester and we'll probably keep it our usual 10 - 15 years. My pick-up is a 2007 with 117K on it and I'll drive it till it dies. Disclaimer: Winning the Powerball lottery voids all car ownership comments. :wink2: )

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited
104 Posts
We have a '16 Limited 2.5, Green. First new car the wife and I purchased, and we couldn't be happier. We have always had new-ish cars, but were never happy with them for more than a couple years. We actually just paid her off last month after 2.5 years of ownership (just hit 50K), and we have absolutely no intentions of trading this car in.

The looks, the mileage, the smooth ride, the awesomely comfortable interior..... we both just don't know what else we would even want.

I certainly tip my hat to Subaru for making such a kick-ass car. It is especially an amazing performer up here in central Alaska. It was made for this place.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,425 Posts
We've been driving Outbacks for the past 15 years or so.

My Wife would probably driven her 08 LL Bean until she died, (she was that happy with it) If it had not been hit, and totaled.

I think she will think the same, once she becomes more familiar with the '17.

There are soo many improvements in the Gen 4/5. I used to call it the big sell out, when Subaru got away from their roots, and a traditional wagon design. I still prefer the looks of the Gen 3. But, totally understand, as an auto maker, why they went this route. Sales talk.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
927 Posts
I have a fully loaded( Eye Sight,approach mirrors ,wheel arches etc) 16 2.5 limited. I'm leasing it and with 10 months I may purchase. It has a whopping 11k on her. Made one 5k trip and it performed amazing. Thought about a Ascent but a loaded limited would be over 20k more on top of the residual value of the OB

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,861 Posts
I love my 2.5i. The oil filter on top is a fantastic bonus that I did not fully appreciate at time of purchase. It does eveything I need it to do and more.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 3.6R
75 Posts
I cannot understand how you guys are enjoying your 2.5i. I cannot get mine to go faster than 50 mpg. Also, based on comments in this forum, it appears the 3.6R gets better gas many times. I am bummed.

Just kidding! I love my 2.5i. The oil filter on top is a fantastic bonus that I did not fully appreciate at time of purchase. Some people are bummed the 3.6R is going away in 2020. I am bummed the 2.5i is leaving us. It does eveything I need it to do and more. I wish there was a woman version of this car. OK, that got a little weird, but you get the point.

I know I am sad about the 3.6R leaving us. Which is why I will probably own my 2016 3.6R until the wheels fall off, or like Carl said, I win the lottery ( for which I will buy a 2018/19 brand new off the lot.) I love this car so much. I have never been so happy with a car! I would like to thank Subaru for coming out with such an amazing car!

·
Registered
2016 OUTBACK 2.5i Limited
56 Posts
We like our '16 Outback 2.5 Limited as well, although it goes away the end of Oct., as the lease ends. Don't know yet what to to get next, but am leaning toward a '19 Forester, or another Outback. We also just purchased an '18 CR-V Touring to keep.

>:)Perhaps I might lease an F150 for fun!:grin2:
Looking forward to a fun summer of car shopping!!:wink2:

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,412 Posts
2 Years in August on my '17 3.6.

Just crossed 36k this week.

Couldn't be happier. Was actually really happy with my '15 2.5 I had for 2 years before that but wanted Eye Sight and decided why not get the 3.6 while I could. Total Driving miles on Gen 5 is over 60k between the two.

Look forward to ruining it for many years to come.

·
Registered
2010 Outback
116 Posts
I take my Outback in to the dealer for service as always and run into my sales guy who tells me that he can make me a “deal” to trade in my 16 for an 18.
The dealer near me sends out postcards and calls people they've dealt with and tells them that "there are a shortage of used vehicles right now and it's urgent we get some in". They hit me up the last time I was in. "Hey, we could use your OB right now".

·
Registered
2018 Crystal White Pearl Outback 3.6R Touring
89 Posts
I've had my 2018 Outback Touring 3.6 for two weeks..love it ! And folks who have been for a ride said they can't believe how quiet it is ! I agree :)

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
There are two different programs, Subaru Care Connect and Subaru Equity Connect. These are based upon the minor detail that, nowadays, a huge number of Subaru customers are conquest purchasers (meaning they've come to us from other brands) and those people are used to trading in every two or three years. And since, at least on our lot, the only low mileage one owner Subaru's we typically see are our own retired service loaners, we really DO try to make as good a deal as possible for you to get into a new car.

Last month we had two 2015's that came off lease, both of them 3.6R. One lasted 5 days, the other lasted 8. Earlier this month, I had a 2013 Forester that we took in on trade on Wednesday evening. I sold it Friday, still sitting on the rack in service. (Yes, they did take a test drive in it.) We'd love to have a whole row of pre-owned Subaru's. I'm typically lucky to have two. (At the same time, I obviously see things from your perspective as well. My wife drives a 2015 Forester and we'll probably keep it our usual 10 - 15 years. My pick-up is a 2007 with 117K on it and I'll drive it till it dies. Disclaimer: Winning the Powerball lottery voids all car ownership comments. :wink2: )
I'm honestly surprised so many used Subarus sell as quickly as they do

When I went looking at our Outback and Foresters the used models held their resale so well that when it came to financing you were going to get a better deal on the new car vs the older model with low miles.

As you said though, Wallace Subaru didn't have a lot of used Subies to choose from, but they had tons of new car volume that they move a decent amount of

1 - 18 of 18 Posts