Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first time poster...

I'm in Australia and I have a question about tyre sizing for the 2007 Outback. I bought my Outback used, but the tyres and the original(?) Geolandar spare are 215/55 R17. However, the Tire Rack seems to suggest that the 225/55 R17 is the OEM size at least in the US. I've seen plenty of posts on various sites talk about 215 or 225, but none really seeming to explain the discrepancy by talking about both.

At any rate, I'm looking to get new shoes for the Outback. All else equal, I'd prefer a slightly wider tyre anyway to minimise risk of wheel damage from parallel parking on some narrow streets here in Sydney, but I also want to get the "right" size, whatever that means.

Cheers for any help...

·
Registered
16,290 Posts
Attached is the related Specifications page from the North American 2007 Owners Manual. It shows various tires for 16, 17 and 18 inch wheels. Interestingly, there's none wider than 225.

I'm not sure why, but my guess is that there's little space between the inside edge of the front tire and the front strut, even with my 225/55/17s. Also, when the wheels are turned, the space behind (at the 3 O-clock position), between the corner of the tire tread and the mud flap is also rather small, and a wider tire would present even closer to the mud flap.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
I second plain OM. Also, I believe 215/60 R17 is close to the same diameter as 225/55 R17.....Tire Rack would have the specs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That spec sheet reiterates my point and keeps me confused.

In Australia, the 2007 came with 215/55 R17.
In the US, the 2007 came with 225/55 R17.

Why the difference in these two markets? In Australia they used the Geolandars, but in the US, they opted for Bridgestone Potenza RE92A. Maybe either availability or tire design affected things.

Anyway, I guess it just means that I can get either size as both clearly fit. The 225 would give me a bit more wheel protection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
philoye
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing