Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Outback that I bought used at a dealer 2 years ago. I had a U Haul hitch installed by U Haul right after I bought the car. When I hit minor bumps, there is a pronounced clunking noise coming from the rear. I had the car at the dealer today for a state inspection sticker and asked them to look into it. They said that the hitch doesn't fit the car properly and something (they didn't say what but I'll follow up) is hitting it. They said that a factory hitch wouldn't do that. I looked online at the factory hitch ($500, ouch) and the ball is way too close to the bumper and it would only take me about 2 tries to crunch the bumper into the trailer tongue. So, couple questions: Anyone else having problems with a U Haul hitch? Is there a longer ball mount available? Is this a real problem or just a noise?

Attachments

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,383 Posts
Grab it and yank it around, maybe one of the mounting bolts is loose?

Check the bottom edge to see if there are any scrape marks where it might be hitting the pavement.

Is the spare tire or jack loose?

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,209 Posts
There are drawbars up to 12 inches long and perhaps even longer. Standard ones are about 8-9"

·
Registered
88 Posts
I went from knowing nothing at all about towing to setting up and installing a hitch, wiring, and brake controller on my Outback with info and equipment from etrailer.com. As long as your comfortable with working on your car, you should be able to figure out what's wrong with your hitch and what you need to get it right.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts