Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

I’m in the U.K. and have a brand new Touring, likely one of the first Gen6 on the road here. Almost as soon as I drove it home it had creaks coming from the doors and roof area - gradually getting worse in recent weeks.

Basically the whole roof area including door apertures creak badly, especially when going over bumps or uneven surfaces. It’s been with a dealer for a week and they agree it’s not right but have had to postpone more investigation until Subaru U.K. send some sort of special tool for them to remove the Eyesight module so they can look further.

I’m no expert but it seems the body is flexing and I’m wondering if any such issues have been experienced like this by anyone else? What could cause this other than a badly welded body frame?
Many thanks

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT Limited
79 Posts
Creeks like you describe are usually weather stripping. Try adding silicone to the weather stripping around the doors. Also the foam in the rear spare tire well squeaks and creeks. I added adhesive velcro between the car and the foam so I can still get to the spare tire and those noises went away. Start there and check back in.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,289 Posts
It's not necessarily the unibody frame welds, or the structural adhesive.

It could be an under-torqued subframe, suspension part creaking, or some loose trim piece. If you link to a video of your creaking noises it will give us a better idea.
On our side of the pond one person's creaking was from an improperly installed roof rack.

To test your chassis flex put one wheel on a ramp or curb to twist the chassis, see if all 4 doors and the rear hatch open and close with no issues.

Reactions: jes2 and hydrex

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,051 Posts
Thanks - did you have any thoughts on my issue?
I believe some folks have had issues with the roof rails making noise which would transmit to the top of the doors. No excuse if they can't fix it- ask for another car

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
603 Posts
Hmm...so Subaru is going to keep those bulbous wheel well cladding even on the Touring trim? IMO it'd look better with the current thinner wheel well molding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts