Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’ve done some searching and haven’t found an answer I like yet lol. This is my first post here. I picked up and 07 for $800 that needs some exhaust work and I figured while I’m under there I may as well buy a UEL header if possible.

I had a 98 forester that I put a Borla replica on and it sounded great. I’d love to get that same sound on this.

I did find that rallisport is no more? And that a legacy gt header would work, haven’t had luck with those either.

I was looking at pictures and wondered if a BRZ header would work? Collectors look like they are almost in the same location, however the header tubes look to be routed differently.

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks in advance.

Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts
problem,

is more then what is about the subaru rumble.

those 2006-2009 outback and legacy headers have that fat section to raise temps and stop the stink.
(some idea they got from toyota it seems).

2005 cal spec actually came with perfectly symmetrical headers.
(simple, straight, and built for speed, and not noise like modern FA types, or any H6).

___

is yours a PZEV? (I read recently they race the engine to increase exhaust temps when cold).

_____

you maybe able to find something though, but have to wrap with expensive insulation tape.
(cheap stuff is just plain awful, and degrades fast).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
problem,

is more then what is about the subaru rumble.

those 2006-2009 outback and legacy headers have that fat section to raise temps and stop the stink.

(some idea they got from toyota it seems).

2005 cal spec actually came with perfectly symmetrical headers.

(simple, straight, and built for speed, and not noise like modern FA types, or any H6).

___

is yours a PZEV? (I read recently they race the engine to increase exhaust temps when cold).

_____

you maybe able to find something though, but have to wrap with expensive insulation tape.

(cheap stuff is just plain awful, and degrades fast).

I’d have to look, I travel for work and just had enough time to pick it up and figure out what needs replaced immediately and then I left for work again.

I can do some mild fab work and decent welding, so I’m open to installing a high flow cat and Welding on bungs in the proper spot if needed. And I figured I’d have to wrap them thoroughly to keep the heat in there.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts
I’d have to look, I travel for work and just had enough time to pick it up and figure out what needs replaced immediately and then I left for work again.

I can do some mild fab work and decent welding, so I’m open to installing a high flow cat and Welding on bungs in the proper spot if needed. And I figured I’d have to wrap them thoroughly to keep the heat in there.

where are you located?

I ask as some of the things listed only work where there is no inspection at all.

do they plug into the ECU at inspection time? (and you need no check engine lights, and "emissions readiness" to pass).

or even worse: do they probe the exhaust?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in one of the 5 counties in Ohio that does an emissions check, however I also have an address in a county that does not.... some how, all of my vehicles are registered where there’s no E-check

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you got a 2007 Outback for $800??? Are you just looking rumble?

Yes, $800 it’s a beater as far as price is concerned but I’m pretty good shape so I’m willing to take nice care of it, but part of me says it was $800 so do whatever lol. Literally the rumble was my favorite thing about my 98 forester with the borla rep on it. And that it was 5spd, this is an auto :/

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
If you get some UEL headers that are NOT stainless steel, but are regular ol' mild steel tube, DO NOT wrap them! Everybody in racing that tried that a few decades ago found their headers destroyed in just a weekend or sometimes as long a 2 weekends - the trapped heat literally blows the carbon out of the steel, and they start what looks like delaminating (but, of course, isn't), and they quickly fall apart. We used to build a few systems every week, 52 weeks a year, and had a lot of very upset customers who tried to blame us for the tubes self-destructing after they wrapped them!

Of course, the exhaust temps of a street engine, driven on the street, won't generate the same intense heat as when racing, but the problem in still there - it just takes longer.

If you want to use mild steel headers, but want to reduce the heat thrown off of them, have them ceramic coated on the inside - NOT the outside. Not cheap, though. You'll be better off buying a more expensive SS set.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know if the flange on the legacy GT headers point upwards? Kinda looks like it from the photos I’ve found.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
They do. The header is NOT UEL, they are EL, so not rumble from the header. More a blender type sound. You will be limited to a custom exhaust toward the rear, single exit would be cheapest and closest to getting some kind of rumble.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They do. The header is NOT UEL, they are EL, so not rumble from the header. More a blender type sound. You will be limited to a custom exhaust toward the rear, single exit would be cheapest and closest to getting some kind of rumble.

This is what I was referring to

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
Who makes that. It comes with an up-pipe it appears.

And yes, that will rumble. Do they give a fitment list. or do you have a link. It looks like it clears the oil-pan correctly...And oil filter location.

But screen shots are difficult sometimes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s a cheap shotty eBay header, I’ll find the link, some reviews are good, some bad, even if I had to re-angle the collector flange and weld it back up, that’s no big deal for me. It also needs to be a 3 home flange but that’s minor.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
IIRC, the 06+ manifold/header does not exit the same "location" as the turbo manifolds. Try looking for a manifold for 06+ Impreza, it'll have the same clearance for the oil pan/oil filter as the Legacy.

If you're just after the sound, you could run with the factory 2005 (non U5/Cali spec) header and fabricate your own cat-delete. You'll need an O2 extension harness due to the relocated bung. I assume you'll also reflash the ECU to turn-off the downstream O2 and and cat-efficiency codes.

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
1,204 Posts
Don't the cheap Borla replicas for Imprezas and older Legacies fit the '05+? Why not just get one of those?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't the cheap Borla replicas for Imprezas and older Legacies fit the '05+? Why not just get one of those?

I think the outlet is in a different location, the Wrx stock manifold looks like they’ll work perfect but I haven’t found any cheap. The leggy gt ones have the right outlet location but the wrong flange, not a big deal though.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
I think the outlet is in a different location, the Wrx stock manifold looks like they’ll work perfect but I haven’t found any cheap. The leggy gt ones have the right outlet location but the wrong flange, not a big deal though.

WRX and 05-09 LGT use the same manifolds, so you'd still be at the same outlet location either way. you have a custom 2nd cat pipe in mind? the OE is angled slightly to match the header/ primary cat.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I figured I could re-angle the flange and slide the cat forward or back as needed then just make up a new cat back at a local exhaust shop

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I have been ordering parts in preparation for my exhaust project.

I completely admit I’m solely doing this for the sound and the rumble.

I got a set of uel headers from the earlier cars for a while $47 on Amazon.

2.5” catalytic converter and weld on bungs for the 02 sensors $35

18” long 2.5” resonator/glasspack $27

2x 2.5” fart can mufflers, I really do not know the proper name for these but I had one on my last forester with the same header and it sounded amazing. $19 ea.

I still plan to get a 2.5” pipe bend kit with an assortment of bends and straight pieces. I can use the remains on my 56 Dodge project.

I will also need to buy some hanger rods of some sort.

I haven’t decided if I want to extend the 02 sensor wires myself or but the extension. I’m more than capable of doing it, but I think the extension harness would be the simple solution should I need to replace the sensor in the future.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got all the parts I need minus the 02 extension. I’m just going to do it myself. I ordered a set of 2.5” builder pipes so I should be able to do every thing I need, a few pie cuts may be necessary though.

Had to make a flange to bolt my home made system up to the header. I forgot to order a flange so I borrowed my dads little plasma cutter.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts