Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, apologies for this redundant thread. My internet connection sucks here and it's like 56.6k speed loading pages. I've found some "hitch" related threads, but got pretty impatient waiting for them to load. :rolleyes:

Just curious how many have had Uhaul install the hitch? How does it look? (pictures appreciated).

My main use for the hitch will be a bike rack. Hence, I will forego the wiring kit for now, though I may put one on in the future. I thought about just using my roof rack (I've got the cross bars and rack), but I find the hitch more convenient, less MPG loss and less likely to play ramrod with my garage (my neighbor already totalled his full carbon bike TWICE by doing this).

One concern is, if they drill, I hope it won't cause rust. I live in a state that loves salted roads. I'll have to ask if they coat the area before installing.

I saw the threads on Torklift and would like to try it. However, a trip suddenly came up and I need (want) to take my bike. No time to order and wait. Plus, Uhaul is $200 installed.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
U-Haul hitch

I installed U-Haul hitch - pics attached. They don't drill but they have to trim exhaust protective shield. If you tell the installer to rust proof it, they will do it. But, the exhaust components rust no matter what you do...
I am happy with the application - you can hardly see that the hitch is there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
I installed U-Haul hitch - pics attached. They don't drill but they have to trim exhaust protective shield. If you tell the installer to rust proof it, they will do it. But, the exhaust components rust no matter what you do...
I am happy with the application - you can hardly see that the hitch is there.

Well from those top view pics you can't but I think from a drivers view you can see most of the hitch. At least it isn't sticking out almost past the bumper. I've been contemplating the U Haul hitch but the one I see stick out, the one you have is that a particular model?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
if you ever plan on carrying multiple bikes with a beefy 4 bike rack - you might want a 2" receiver, i wish I would have gotten that for my 2" hitch mounted 4 bike rack.

you can probably get a cheap strap on carrier for one bike just for this one trip if you're in a rush. some probably are lame but the one we have is quite convenient and i've driven it on 1,000+ mile road trip before just fine on our sedan that doesn't have a receiver hitch like our other two daily drivers which we use the hitch mounted rack on.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Most of US trailer hitches are manufactured by Cequent Group. They are marketed under various brands, including the U-Haul hitch. They only carry one model for 2013 Outback. It's has 2" square receiver.
You cannot see quite well from those pictures the hitch but it is nicely recessed and designed. I could take a better picture but you still would not see much because I have removed the U-Haul label and I only left the technical specs/weight/load data label on it.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
The only way to install a hitch on the OB without drilling is by removing the bumper. I doubt your local U-Haul will do that. So they will have to drill/cut an access hole on each frame rail. Not ideal IMO, but thousands of cars have had hitches installed that way and I have never seen a thread or read about it causing significant damage when done right.

If you want to install it yourself, I'd search craigslist for a cheap strap on bike carrier or buy a cheap one and unload it on craigslist after the trip. Then do a little more research and get a good 2" and DIY. Lots of good info on the boards.

Drawtite, Hidden Hitch and Uhaul are all the same Hitch I believe. Curt is definitely different and does not use all 4 factory mounting holes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
U Haul Hitch

I had the 2" U Haul hitch installed recently. I thought hard about doing it myself and choosing a Curt or Hidden Hitch but I just did not want to mess with it. The hitch went on quickly but they spent several hours with the wiring. I was concerned but when they were done everything worked perfectly.

·
Registered
2013 OB
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to have them install tomorrow. Spoke to them about rust-proofing and they said no problem. I do like their lifetime warranty, as well.

They did tell me that they most likely won't have to remove the bumper. I told them I was concerned about them breaking the clips, and they said they would take care of it (for whatever that is worth...).

Grossgary - I'm going with a 2" receiver. Never liked the 1.25", as it swayed too much for my liking. Especially with cargo carriers.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
vr4Legacy
Yes, you are right. They don't drill but the access hole (that they cut) is under the hitch and therefore not exposed to elements. I was watching the installer, how he does it. You can have them rust proof it but even that is an overkill, as you mentioned. U-haul has life-time warranty accross the US and that includes any possible "rusting" issue. They do NOT have to remove the rear bumper nor the bumper skin!
You can do the wiring yourself; buy a wiring kit from eTrailer and plug it into existing plug in the cargo area, behind the driver's side rear cargo area panel...no need to tap into any lights - that is what typically U-Haul would do, if you use one of their kits.

·
Registered
2013 OB
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jogo - I'm assuming that you can see the whole hitch if you were to crouch down? Not that big of a deal, but don't want anything unsightly. This is the wife's car, so looks > function. Which means the Uhaul stickers have got to go. Hope that doesn't void warranty.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Of course, you could see the back part of the hitch - but, as you can see from my pictures, you can hardly see it ..... unless you almost crawl under the car. And yes, drivers behind you would partially see it as well...
U-haul sticker removal will not void warranty as long as you have the U-Haul receipt in your glove box and leave the rating/load sticker on it. You and your wife will love it!
It's one of the better applications here. I had them on my 2005 and 2010 Foresters - all u-Haul hitches - never had any issues with any of them!

·
Registered
2013 OB
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the quick response! Hopefully I get a competent tech who installs it right.

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
DO NOT let them wire it, uhaul does not carry the oem connector, they just tap into all the lights. Total waste, as there is a nice plug provided, just need to go to a good accessory shop to get one. I got mine for about 35 bucks at a truck accessory shop.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Correct - that is what I was advising p-nut as well in my earlier post! I got my OB wiring harness from eTrailer.com!

·
Registered
2013 OB
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I'm not planning to wire up for now, as it will just be used for bike and cargo racks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
vr4Legacy
...They don't drill but the access hole (that they cut) is under the hitch and therefore not exposed to elements.
What do you mean? Do they cut a hole in the underside of the Outback or is that where they cut away at the heat shield?

I've heard that if they don't increase the bolt holes (drill) that they have to take off the bumper.

I've also heard they may need to cut away some of the heat shield.. but I haven't heard of an access hole. Did they cut that to help them put the bolts in? and where is the hole?

Thanks for all this info... I'm thinking about the U-haul hitch too.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
They "trim" the heat shield... they cut an access square hole so that they can feed/put in nuts for bolts... that square hole is covered by the square U-Haul hitch frame so you dont' see it, after the installation. Generally speaking, if you don't let them do the wiring, they know, what they are doing....!

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
So if U-Haul makes one type of hitch, why is your's a lot more exposed then jogosub's?

No offence, but I like how jogosub's appears to be more hidden.

Maybe it's just the angle?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts