Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll need to rent a small (4x8) UHaul soon. Their documentation just days not to exceed a hitch height of 25" but it doesn't say what the ideal height is. I went to the UHaul place closest to me and they said the best they could do was to pull a trailer to my Outback and then measure it.

I have a 2013 with an aftermarket Hidden Hitch. I measured the height (ground to top of opening in receiver) at 14 5/8".

What kind of rise/drop have any of you used for a trailer like this?

And does anybody know the ideal height for a (4x8 or 5x8) UHaul?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
I can't give you a definitive answer but I used a small UHaul last weekend. My top of my receiver is 13". The trailer was not quite level but within an inch or two. It sounds like your hitch should be just about perfect.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't give you a definitive answer but I used a small UHaul last weekend. My top of my receiver is 13". The trailer was not quite level but within an inch or two. It sounds like your hitch should be just about perfect.
So you came straight out? No rise or drop on the draw bar?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Your Gen4 is plenty high and as long as you don't have a crazy drop hitch or riser beyond an inch the Uhaul should be fine. Keep in mind you always want a trailer to be slightly nose down. You never want the trailer tipped back ie have the tongue of the trailer too high.

The Gen4 sits right around 11-12inches which is quite high actually. My landcruiser was 9 inches with 34inch off road tires on it.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
The reason they don't post trailer coupler height is most likely that they want to sell you a new ball and ball mount when you show up.

There is no excuse for them to not post this info, or at least be able to tell you over the phone. It ain't rocket science.

Ask them to level the trailer, using a floor jack if they have to, and then measure the height from the ground to the inside of the coupler socket. Take a minimum of two inches off that since your car will sag when the weight hits the receiver.

I hate U Haul, maybe you could tell.... what a bunch of morons.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason they don't post trailer coupler height is most likely that they want to sell you a new ball and ball mount when you show up.

There is no excuse for them to not post this info, or at least be able to tell you over the phone. It ain't rocket science.

Ask them to level the trailer, using a floor jack if they have to, and then measure the height from the ground to the inside of the coupler socket. Take a minimum of two inches off that since your car will sag when the weight hits the receiver.

I hate U Haul, maybe you could tell.... what a bunch of morons.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
I was just going to take a tape measure and a wife. I'd just lift the trailer tongue until it looks level, then measure it myself.

But wouldn't you want to add the estimated sag so it would be level afterward?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Little tip with the Uhaul trailers. Pick up the 4prong plug addapter with the loose wire ends. I have never EVER rented a Uhaul trailer that had properly wired lights that were either all mixed up at the plug or blew fuses. LOL Though I've seen examples of why this is the case. Plenty of do it your self types also wired up their own vehicle plug and they tend to modify the rental trailer before they actually check to see if they set their vehicle plug wrong. ;-) - eventually a uhaul trailer thats been around the block a few times has seen many modifications to its lighting system after it left the uhaul lot that the trailer is a rolling electrical disaster.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
Sorry I can't help on the hitch height. Just wanted to agree that Uhaul sucks. Part of this is people treating the rental trailers like crap but Uhaul doesn't do a good job of maintaining the trailers either. I will say the last two I rented actually had light plugs wired correctly, which was a nice touch. Hopefully I won't ever have to use them again now that I have my own utility trailer.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
I've never had a problem WITH the equipment I've rented form Uhaul. The problem is actually procuring the equipment. The word "reservation" means absolutely nothing to Uhaul.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
I've never had a problem WITH the equipment I've rented form Uhaul. The problem is actually procuring the equipment. The word "reservation" means absolutely nothing to Uhaul.
I had one of the tandem trailers with surge brakes once. Brakes wouldn't come on, wouldn't come on, HOLY CRAP THE BRAKES JUST ENGAGED! Now we start to go and the brakes won't come off, won't come off, oh there we go... You get the idea. Also had a couple where tires were rotting or had bad wobbles. Just not fun to try and tow. Wouldn't have been a problem but they usually don't have a spare when I come back wanting a different one.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to have to use one, the smallest I can get, for overflow when I move my daughter home from college. I just need it to hold together long enough for a 500mi round trip.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
The one I used last weekend was only 5 years old according to the ID plate and it was in pretty good shape. I had zero issues with it. Many UHaul locations are locally owned and operated, I think that accounts for at least some of the variance in the rental experience.

Good luck!

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
I was just going to take a tape measure and a wife. I'd just lift the trailer tongue until it looks level, then measure it myself.

But wouldn't you want to add the estimated sag so it would be level afterward?
Whoops, you're correct. ADD a couple of inches. Sorry for the brain fart.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
I had one of the tandem trailers with surge brakes once. Brakes wouldn't come on, wouldn't come on, HOLY CRAP THE BRAKES JUST ENGAGED! Now we start to go and the brakes won't come off, won't come off, oh there we go...
The roller was dry and probably rough and rusty- they have to be kept really clean and greased so that the coupler can slide back and forth without hanging up. If you rent a trailer with surge brakes, insist that the coupler is inspected and serviced (add fluid and lube if needed) before you drive away! Test the brakes ASAP and return the trailer if they don't work!

Even then you have to learn to brake hard for an instant to get it to shift, then brake normally. I hate surge brakes. If I ever get another big boat, I will install Kodiak stainless disks with an "electric over hydraulic" actuator. Big $$$ but no more hassles and very long service life.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Little tip about Uhaul could save you big later.

Keep all of your receipts for at least 3yrs. I had a collection agency come after me about 10yrs ago claiming I had never returned a Uhaul trailer. This was nearly two years after I had rented the trailer.

I never bothered with the local Uhaul office I called HQ faxed them all of my paper work and told them if I got any more notifications from the collection agency or saw any sort of claim on my credit that my Lawyer would be filing court papers by the end of the week.

No more calls from the Collection company and by the end of the week Uhaul called to say they found the trailer and no one would be contacting me again. I had them fax documented proof that they had the trailer which they did not want to do.

So keep your paper work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
The roller was dry and probably rough and rusty- they have to be kept really clean and greased so that the coupler can slide back and forth without hanging up. If you rent a trailer with surge brakes, insist that the coupler is inspected and serviced (add fluid and lube if needed) before you drive away! Test the brakes ASAP and return the trailer if they don't work!

Even then you have to learn to brake hard for an instant to get it to shift, then brake normally. I hate surge brakes. If I ever get another big boat, I will install Kodiak stainless disks with an "electric over hydraulic" actuator. Big $$$ but no more hassles and very long service life.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
I towed a boat with surge brakes for years and a used to feeling them kick in. Absolutely right about keeping it greased for smooth operation. What sucked about this one Uhaul situation was they didn't have any other trailer for me so I was out of luck.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
Little tip about Uhaul could save you big later.

Keep all of your receipts for at least 3yrs. I had a collection agency come after me about 10yrs ago claiming I had never returned a Uhaul trailer. This was nearly two years after I had rented the trailer.

I never bothered with the local Uhaul office I called HQ faxed them all of my paper work and told them if I got any more notifications from the collection agency or saw any sort of claim on my credit that my Lawyer would be filing court papers by the end of the week.

No more calls from the Collection company and by the end of the week Uhaul called to say they found the trailer and no one would be contacting me again. I had them fax documented proof that they had the trailer which they did not want to do.

So keep your paper work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just DAM*. I know their margins are super thin with the trailer rentals.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts