Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all- I love my Outback and don't want to scrap it!
garage which had fitted new discs and brakes, told me to trade it in asap as was 'making a noise in the engine' and as I was driving it to do that, there was a bang, cloud of smoke and everything stopped. I coasted to the hard shoulder and was uplifted by a tow truck and the Subaru has been sitting on my drive since.
I can't get anyone to look at it properly. Without even lifting the bonnet, all that's been said is 'scrap it' or 'it needs a new engine'. Now, it may be it does but my question is- surely a bit more prodding is needed before writing it off or replacing the whole thing?
Could putting in the wrong cleaner into the diesel have damaged something? Could it be the turbo? I had noticed the noise for a couple of weeks but apart from taking to maybe the second/third try to start sometimes, there was nothing else of note.
Any ideas where I go with this?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,480 Posts
updated thread title.

if the engine is a goner,...why do they want to scrap the car vs. putting a new/ used engine in it. ??

are matching subaru diesels impossible to buy there?

how many miles / kms on the car?

(I hope when you typed "tow truck" it was a flatbed. ...like subarus need).

·
Registered
Outback 2007 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
550 Posts
Several reports here of that generation Subaru diesel having serious engine failures, like broken crankshafts! Best get a Subaru dealer or competent independent garage to check it out.

·
Registered
MY17 Outback Diesel Premium
83 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems. The noises your mechanic heard must have been pretty ominous.

It is difficult to say what the most likely problem is from your description. It is unlikely to be the turbo as the engine will still run without it, you will just have low power. Putting the wrong cleaner in probably would not have damaged anything if you used it with a full tank of fuel. Using the wrong fuel however will do serious damage.

It does sound like a driveshaft or other major component inside the engine has broken. You may be able to get someone to take the sump off the bottom of the engine and have a look. It should not take that long and at least it would confirm if it is the crankshaft. It may reveal that there is more extensive damage from the broken bits.

You can do a bit of web searching to see if you can find someone to rebuild the engine for you. Alternatively get an engine that has already been rebuilt fitted. A quick bit of google work turned up a couple of UK options that may help:

ROAD n RACE - EE20 DIESEL ENGINE

Subaru reconditioned engines

I am in Australia, so I cannot vouch for anyone in the UK. You may need to e-mail or ring a few people to find someone comparatively close to where you are who may be able to help.

I did find similar threads on Subaru Legacy Forums UK and www.scoobynet.com some searching or requests on these forums may also help.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,727 Posts
Picture of a 2008 Forester 2 litre turbodiesel from Bulgaria that was disassembled after a major engine disaster. Caution for the squeamish - things do not look well for the bottom end of this engine:

('06-'08) Broken crankshaft of 08' boxer diesel - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

There's quite a bit of history of early problems with this engine in Europe, reading through the thread.

Point is, this engine is used all over Europe, not just the UK, and there should be parts, expertise, and perhaps remanufactured engines available there as well. Here in the US, it's often the least expensive option to just drop in a remanufactured engine.

Look in Germany and France; those are the larger markets. Haven't seen many in Italy when I've traveled there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts