Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
The school zone has to be contained in the map database. The car doesn't use EyeSight to read signs or detect the flashing lights. I was in Oregon a couple of weeks ago driving to McMinnville, and the nav did not recognize a new road that was a little over a year old. And the car is only 5 months old, so their nav database isn't up to date. (and no updates are yet available).

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,861 Posts
Mine has picked up quite a few school zones when I have been traveling and wouldn't have paid any attention to otherwise unless there were stopped school buses or flashing lights. I haven't ever noticed any that it didn't alert for but I'm not sure I would ever know.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, 3.0R Limited, 2.5i Touring
4,644 Posts
You could...like...you know...use your eyes. That’s kind of the point of a school zone, heads up. Slow down. Don’t kill anybody’s kids because you are staring at your dashboard waiting for your car to tell you what to do.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
I never knew that was a feature of the outbacks. Is this limited to specific years?
It is a feature that is in its infancy in 2018/2019 and right now is dependent upon the feed of where the navigation system is getting mapping data from.

You can see how it could be enhanced through crowdsourced apps like Wase and maybe someday with Sirius traffic. Other potential sources could be an RF transmitter that can be located at the crossing zone (part of an ITS system, some places have it). What would be cool is it the eyesight system was smart enough to read the sign and see the flashing signal and anonymously pushed that data up to the cloud.

What we see today, what it will be next year and most definitely what it will be in five years is changing very rapidly.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,861 Posts
You could...like...you know...use your eyes. That’s kind of the point of a school zone, heads up. Slow down. Don’t kill anybody’s kids because you are staring at your dashboard waiting for your car to tell you what to do.
That's the problem with kids these days--they depend on everyone else to take care of them. Back in the day we just learned to look both ways before entering a roadway. At least there was a chance to weed out the stupid ones before they reached voting age. >:)

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,248 Posts
I just don't understand this vehicle? It just doesn't do what I want it to do! I expected a Vulcan mine meld as soon as I walk up to it, what Gives.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,616 Posts
It is a feature that is in its infancy in 2018/2019 and right now is dependent upon the feed of where the navigation system is getting mapping data from.

You can see how it could be enhanced through crowdsourced apps like Wase and maybe someday with Sirius traffic. Other potential sources could be an RF transmitter that can be located at the crossing zone (part of an ITS system, some places have it). What would be cool is it the eyesight system was smart enough to read the sign and see the flashing signal and anonymously pushed that data up to the cloud.

What we see today, what it will be next year and most definitely what it will be in five years is changing very rapidly.
Not sure but I think the 2017 OB has the same feature. I know it does note speed limits, curves etc.

FYI, I have had an Audio/nav firmware update (NU9508) and one map update on mine August 2017 and expect to be eligible for another update this August. At least that is the way I understand it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
803 Posts
My new Garmin works the same, detects school zones (that are in its database). Neat surprise the first time that alerted.
But I've been really touchy about school zones over 50 years. First place I was stationed in the Navy we were warned that local police cited speeding in a school zone as reckless driving!! Kinda carried that attitude with me ever since.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
It's a nice "feature" but it should in no way be considered a substitute for an attentive driver. Pay attention to the bright yellow flashing lights when you approach a school zone and you should be fine.

That said, I have two school zones on my daily commute. They are adjacent to each other on the same road and separated by about 1/2 mile. One speed limit is 25mph and the other is 20mph. The speed limit between the two is 45mph. The local sheriffs like to park in a church parking lot right between the two schools and round em up as they approach the 20mph zone.

I find it quite frustrating trying to watch the road for kids and watch my speedometer to keep it at 20 or less as I'm driving through the school zones. I't rather be paying more attention to the road looking for wayward kids than being stopped and ticketed for doing 23mph. So a "Bingo speed" warning might actually be a nice thing if it worked....

David

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, 3.0R Limited, 2.5i Touring
4,644 Posts
DLTouring2017!, as a grandfather of five, I'm glad you want to have that extra precaution around school zones. Good inquiry/post.
As a father of one, in this day and age the last thing we need is another reason for a driver to be distracted from watching the road. In Wisconsin, school zones are clearly marked and it is law that drivers must yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk.

I’m fortunate that my work schedule allows me to walk my son to school (he’s in first grade) a few blocks a way to a school where he will stay until 8th grade. Every morning I see people not only speeding through school zones, but eating/shaving/putting on makeup. The worst are people glued to their phones. Talking, texting, emailing....

It makes me so mad, it’s only a matter of time before a child is hurt or killed. Last year a parent and child were almost hit, unfortunately their dog wasn’t so lucky. It didn’t survive. The driver was on her phone, “working.”

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i (Tungsten)
29 Posts
I have my Garmin DriveSmart 50 when I go anywhere in the OB. Great school zone feature. I don’t trust the in-dash nav.

I installed the Garmin in the storage area below the dash. Attached the GPS to a 5.25” long piece cut from a 2x4 (had an extra round adapter and attached it to the 2x4), put a short piece of pipe insulation under it to tilt it up a bit in the storage area. Works and fits great with great visibility. I just remove it whenever I want.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,248 Posts
I have my Garmin DriveSmart 50 when I go anywhere in the OB. Great school zone feature.

I don’t trust the in-dash nav.
So you say!

I
I installed the Garmin in the storage area below the dash. Attached the GPS to a 5.25” long piece cut from a 2x4 (had an extra round adapter and attached it to the 2x4), put a short piece of pipe insulation under it to tilt it up a bit in the storage area. Works and fits great with great visibility. I just remove it whenever I want.
It still doesn't replace a driver paying attention to the road.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
195 Posts
As a father of one, in this day and age the last thing we need is another reason for a driver to be distracted from watching the road. In Wisconsin, school zones are clearly marked and it is law that drivers must yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk.

I’m fortunate that my work schedule allows me to walk my son to school (he’s in first grade) a few blocks a way to a school where he will stay until 8th grade. Every morning I see people not only speeding through school zones, but eating/shaving/putting on makeup. The worst are people glued to their phones. Talking, texting, emailing....

It makes me so mad, it’s only a matter of time before a child is hurt or killed. Last year a parent and child were almost hit, unfortunately their dog wasn’t so lucky. It didn’t survive. The driver was on her phone, “working.”
You and me both are concerned about distracted driving. It's why after 40yrs of motorcycling I recently decided to quit. I do think its a fair debate whether a dashboard warning is of value or a counterproductive distraction and certainly agree its not a substitute for driver attentiveness.

·
Registered
Outback Touring
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really, are you trying to be sarcastic!!
My post was a mere asking about the car being able to detect school zones. I wanted to be sure my NEW car was acting correctly.
I did not appreciate your post.

·
Registered
Outback Touring
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, but my NAV was updated just a month ago ...AND it does not detect any school zones at all even with the lights flashing, so I could see if any were new then not in the database. I guess I will have to have Subaru look at it.

Just to ALL that states that you should be aware of the road and not rely on the "signals" . At NO time did I say that I was not looking at the road. It is certainly a backup, but want the backup to work, as we ALL want our cars to work properly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.