Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Outback with eyesight and the GPS. I removed the SD card and when I re-inserted it it said "Unable to read
the map sd - the check the map sd -consulte dealer.

What am I to do to get it working again. I called the dealer and asked for an updated sd card and I was quoted the amount
of $450.00!!!!! That is highway robbery!!!

What can and should do about this?

Thanks.

Hans In California

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
The price quoted has nothing to do with the cost of the card replacement that contains the map that you already paid for when it was new. Rather, they are treating this like it is a map upgrade.

In their defense, that's probably all they have to offer you. Why stock original 2015-vintage obsolete maps, after all?

You can find hacked versions on the web, with probably no guarantees about operating correctly though. Not sure you want to do it this way, and I'm not necessarily recommending it.

Dealers gouging this way is the main reason I don't buy GPS options in my car. That's what my smart phone is for.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have a 2015 Outback with eyesight and the GPS. I removed the SD card and when I re-inserted it it said "Unable to read
the map sd - the check the map sd -consulte dealer.

What am I to do to get it working again. I called the dealer and asked for an updated sd card and I was quoted the amount
of $450.00!!!!! That is highway robbery!!!

What can and should do about this?

Thanks.

Hans In California
What does the owners manual say about removing and re-installing the SD card, that is where I would start?

From memory, with the old DVD driven units (before the SD card units) you needed to insert the DVD and then switch to the navigation unit.

It may be worthwhile turning off the vehicle removing the SD card then re-installing the SD card and then turning on the vehicle.

I believe the navigation unit loads the operating system off of the SD card to start the navigation system and then loads the maps from the SD card. I also believe the SD card is in constant use when the vehicle is running so removing the SD card without turning off the vehicle will at best confuse the navigation unit and at worse it is possible that you could corrupt the SD card.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I had that "unable to read" message once a few months after I got my '17 Outback. I hadn't removed the card at all. I did remove it after getting the message and put it in my computer to see if I could read it. I could see the files on the computer. I think I put the card back in the car a couple of times and it just started working on its own. I mentioned it to the dealer after that but I haven't had a problem in the two years since it happened.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2016 outback. Only difference is I never took out the sd card. Just tried to use the maps today and got that error message. I’d really like to fix it quick and cheep

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2016 outback. Only difference is I never took out the sd card. Just tried to use the maps today and got that error message. I’d really like to fix it quick and cheep
try what seagrass suggested in post #3 - remove and reinsert the SD card.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did take it out a few times. No change. I also went through all the settings hoping there was some sort of reset. Couldn’t find and thing. I called the dealership and all they said was bring it in. So I’ll be taking it in next week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve now tried taking the SD card in and out several times over the last few days. No luck. Also went through all the settings looking for some sort of reset, no luck either. Taking it to the dealership on Tuesday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts