Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the Subaru Outback. I had the chance to test drive the Outbacks 3 times, each time about 15 minutes.

I looked for months for the right combination of color, stereo (HK), price, etc.

Finally found the one I wanted, and bought it. Drove it 4 days, about 2 hours each day. Sadly, the seats destroyed my back, right hip and knees. I tried dozens of combinations to the electric seat. But no relief.

I returned the car to the dealer, they had a 7 days return policy.

No car was even a close 2nd to the Outback. Now I am wondering what to do.

Has anyone had any luck at all getting the seats to be more comfortable? Add more foam, seat replacement or what? I tend to keep cars to around 200,000 miles and it must be comfortable to live with for that long.

Please let me know what I might do to make the seats work for this fantastic car!

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
128 Posts
I have a few back problems and many cars just tear my back up on long rides. Actually, with the lumbar support all the way engaged and the seat back relatively straight up (just slightly tilted back) it was very comfortable for me. Even with a 10 hour drive with only one stop for about 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
what cars have you had in the past ther were comfortable?

also, have you checked in Orbus Forme' ? they have some great products.

It may be you're just not compatible with that car. We owned a Ford Windstar van that always made my hands go 1/2 numb!

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
Maybe have the seat fully reupholstered. My dad is really particular about seats as well (we're all around six and a half feet tall) and he struggles to find seats that work for him. I'm less picky -presumably because I'm still relatively young- but my cars have also been big American cars haha.
He had the seat in his old MDX completely redone. His method is finding a car he likes, then spending money to make it work for him. Did the same with his 06 Pilot. Seems like this may be a good route for you to take.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Comfortable cars I've had:
Mercedes 300E
Ford Expedition
Saturn LW2 wagon (current car, 180,000 miles)

Uncomfortable cars I've had, which I kept less than 1 year:
Nissan Stanza
Subaru Outback (4 days)

I'm 6' 2" and 230 lbs, have a tall torso.

I like to sit up straight, with the seat back up near vertical.

I've learned that short seat bottom cushions give me trouble, and seat backs with tops that have foam that bumps out can create problems.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Has anyone put WRX seats or other replacement seats in the Outback?

·
Registered
2013 2.5P sunroof
3 Posts
I just purchased a 2013P last week. At first I was having problems with my lower back starting to get uncomfortable after about 30 minutes. I wondered if I had made a mistake in buying this car, my first Subaru Outback. I played with the seat position and settings and finally found that by moving the seat a lot closer to the steering wheel, my problem went away. Love the car and its performance. For a 4 cylinder engine, this car has a lot of power.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
Mercedes 300E
Ford Expedition

Nissan Stanza
Subaru Outback (4 days)

I'm 6' 2" and 230 lbs, have a tall torso.

I like to sit up straight, with the seat back up near vertical.

I've learned that short seat bottom cushions give me trouble, and seat backs with tops that have foam that bumps out can create problems.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Has anyone put WRX seats or other replacement seats in the Outback?
While I love the seat in my 06 WRX my wife hates it. There are big bolsters on the sides and it does sorta feel like it curves forward at the top. You would definitely want to try it before buying one. Thigh support seems marginal in both our soobs - and we are not tall people.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
Mercedes 300E
Ford Expedition

Nissan Stanza
Subaru Outback (4 days)

See the trend? The Japanese must use different ergonomic guidelines compared to US and Europeans.

My comfortable cars include:

Jeep Cherokee
Saab 900
Porsche 944 (most comfortable car ever)
PT Cruiser
BMW 328i
Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe

And my not comfortable cars include
Scion xD
Subaru Outback

(BTW, these aren't all my cars, just cars I have had the pleasure/not-so-pleasure of driving for an extended amount of time)

Basically, the problem I have with the Scion and Subaru are lack of theigh support. The seat bottom isn't deep enough. I measured the Subaru and Porsche seat bottoms. The Porsche is about 2 inches deeper, and makes all the difference. Your legs should carry your weight. When they aren't, your back takes the beating. This is also why I think sport bikes are way more comfortable than "cruisers".

While I'm not complelty happy with the seating position of the Subaru, I have found that 1) raising the seat all the way up and 2) pitching the seat backwards to "cradle" my legs helps. I also cut out the dead pedal on my 3rd gen to give more leg room, but this might not be a problem on the 4th gen.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
I am 6'2" and 250# I love the seats in my '12 OB. If you think YOUR seats are uncomfortable, you should have had the seats in my '05 Prius. Now THERE was an uncomfortable seat!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the dialogue everyone. @st3mpy , that seems right on. The bottom cushion was very short, and it put pressure everywhere.

Still wondering what options I have. I really like this car, but don't have a solution to survive sitting in it...

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
BMW really got it right with the seat bottom extenders. Briefly had a 540i that was the pinnacle of seating excellence.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts