Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2017 OB Touring 2.5L Wilderness Green/Java Brown Popular w/Package 5a
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My wife and I are still undecided exactly which Subaru we are buying. Looking hard at an Outback with the 2.5L 4-Cyl. We live in Alaska and need the AWD. Have several friends with Outbacks and Foresters and they are very pleased. No longer need the F150 and looking forward to something considerably better on gas mileage. :laugh: Hoping to take advantage of the model year change and get that "unicorn" deal...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
this gets asked all the time here, thread after thread after thread.

what you have to do is drive each of them. (different strokes for different folks).

and if you don't like the way the CVTs work,

consider a 2010-14 3.6, as these had the last of the great 5speed automatics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this gets asked all the time here, thread after thread after thread.

what you have to do is drive each of them. (different strokes for different folks).

and if you don't like the way the CVTs work,

consider a 2010-14 3.6, as these had the last of the great 5speed automatics.
Thanks for the info. I've been curious about the CVT. Seems people either love them or hate them. This past week I put about 400 miles on my daughters Mazda 3 with a 6 speed manual taking our granddaughter back and fourth to gymnastics competitions. The F150 is just under the 100K mile mark and trying to keep it under that for resale value. Anyway, there are a couple of good sized grades between here and town. The car performed well but had to down shift to 4th to keep up to the speed limit. Wife and I didn't care for how low to the ground the car is but really enjoyed the indicated 38.2 mpg.

The local Subaru dealer also carries Honda. We've owned a 2006 CRV AWD in the past - good car no problems but unimpressive gas mileage. We looked at the new CRV and Outback and liked the larger size of the Outback. Lot of space in our current F150 SuperCrew but so little storage in the cab.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've been curious about the CVT. Seems people either love them or hate them. This past week I put about 400 miles on my daughters Mazda 3 with a 6 speed manual taking our granddaughter back and fourth to gymnastics competitions. The F150 is just under the 100K mile mark and trying to keep it under that for resale value. Anyway, there are a couple of good sized grades between here and town. The car performed well but had to down shift to 4th to keep up to the speed limit. Wife and I didn't care for how low to the ground the car is but really enjoyed the indicated 38.2 mpg.

The local Subaru dealer also carries Honda. We've owned a 2006 CRV AWD in the past - good car no problems but unimpressive gas mileage. We looked at the new CRV and Outback and liked the larger size of the Outback. Lot of space in our current F150 SuperCrew but so little storage in the cab.
yeah, I have friends with CRVs of that vintage, = surprisingly poor gas mileage,

...and today they have a CRV and a subaru outback parked together. ( a 2014 2.5 outback).

subaru AWD is stronger, and a whole lot better then the way honda / toyota work.

advice on driving a CVT car for a test drive, leave it in automatic mode and don't be afraid to stand on the gas to make the powertrain do its work. dropping it into manual mode is needed to go down steep grades so you can make the engine brake with the paddle shifters, just like a plain old automatic or manual.

people complain about how slow it is to go back and forth from drive to reverse. (its just how, this type works with the parts it has).
subaru actually gets theirs from Jatco, which is owned today by Nissan now. (kind of the Allison automatic of Japan, for all companies but big honda and big toyota to buy from)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info regarding the test drive. As far as the CVT being slow in shifting from drive to reverse, things just move slower in Alaska anyway, I've had to get accustomed to that.

On a different topic, jumped in the truck after driving the Mazda and reached for the ignition and my left foot automatically went for the nonexistent clutch.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
Thanks for the info regarding the test drive. As far as the CVT being slow in shifting from drive to reverse, things just move slower in Alaska anyway, I've had to get accustomed to that.

On a different topic, jumped in the truck after driving the Mazda and reached for the ignition and my left foot automatically went for the nonexistent clutch.

I remember doing that about 18 years ago:
in the first couple days of owning a new subaru, I was going from all manuals to all automatics as daily drivers, and I would put my right foot on the brake, and then coming to a stop at a stop sign I would then stand harder on the wide brake pedal with my left foot (with 2 feet on the brake).

more recently in my brother's turd toyota yaris manual.

I got out of a automatic and then into his, and when when I would come to the first stop sign, I would forget to even use my left foot at all, and the engine stalled.

@traildogck driving his dad's zippy Porsche, did that with his go-pro going in rural PA,
...as he lives in urban denver metro where shift shift shifting in all that traffic sucks the life out of you.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,606 Posts
If you live around Juneau I would recommend the 4 and if you live up on the mainland I would go with the 6. I surmise that since you said you took a 400 mile trip that you live on the mainland. If you are doing a lot of highway driving the 6 will get very respectable mileage, like 30mpg on the highway. I would say that you might be able to get low to even mid 30's mpg with the 4 but the power difference is quite noticeable.

I have owned both and I always WANT the 6 even though I just purchased a 2018 Outback with the 4. I don't regret my purchase but I would probably end up being happier had I not been a cheapskate and just shelled out the extra cash to get the 6.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you live around Juneau I would recommend the 4 and if you live up on the mainland I would go with the 6. I surmise that since you said you took a 400 mile trip that you live on the mainland. If you are doing a lot of highway driving the 6 will get very respectable mileage, like 30mpg on the highway. I would say that you might be able to get low to even mid 30's mpg with the 4 but the power difference is quite noticeable.

I have owned both and I always WANT the 6 even though I just purchased a 2018 Outback with the 4. I don't regret my purchase but I would probably end up being happier had I not been a cheapskate and just shelled out the extra cash to get the 6.
Yep, mainland interior. Part of the undecided factor is that over the years, I've found that I end up needing a truck or the ability to haul "stuff" you know, stuff happens. Of course the 6 would be more amenable to doing that. When we've had other SUVs, I usually had a utility trailer and didn't have to worry about trying to find and bum a truck. It's been my experience that when a 4 and 6 are offered, a 6 usually has a higher resale value too. I'm older but don't think I've hit the old fart stage just yet either so when the time comes to getting around a slower vehicle, I want to be able to get up and get around. Trips to town are 100 miles one way and there are passing lanes but they are limited.

The wife and I have been looking since last summer. At that time, the local dealer didn't have a 6 on the lot. The next dealership is a 7 hour drive away so I haven't had the opportunity to drive a 6 yet.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
66 Posts
I drove both and decided on the 2.5 for fuel economy reasons, so far 31 Mpg Highway. My drive is mostly commuting so the 6 really was overkill. I find the 4 plenty powerful for what I use it for and if I need to haul something big I just use my old F250 7.3 PSD :)
I am getting used to and like the CVT and have read they use only the best components for it (German LuK CVT chain). So far I only have 800 miles on it so I am looking forward to better mileage as it breaks in. Good luck on your decision.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am located south of you in Northern BC. I have a 2000 OB with a 4 cylinder and a 2014 OB with a 6 cylinder. Purchased the 6 cylinder down south on Vancouver Island, and my wife and I drove both home. Was quite surprised that whenever we stopped for gas, the 6 cylinder was always a bit cheaper to fill. I think it is because the 4 has to work that much harder especially with all the hills in BC. My wife is not a hot rodder but she prefers the 6 cylinder. Many highways in BC are only double lane and not that many long straight stretches, so having the extra power gives her more confidence with passing. I find the 6 cylinder quieter and smoother than the 4 also. Whatever your choice, test drive before buying. Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I drove both and decided on the 2.5 for fuel economy reasons, so far 31 Mpg Highway. My drive is mostly commuting so the 6 really was overkill. I find the 4 plenty powerful for what I use it for and if I need to haul something big I just use my old F250 7.3 PSD :)
I am getting used to and like the CVT and have read they use only the best components for it (German LuK CVT chain). So far I only have 800 miles on it so I am looking forward to better mileage as it breaks in. Good luck on your decision.

Semper Fi
A good friend and former truck driver has a 2011 OB with a 4cyl and is really impressed with the gas mileage. He's about 10 years older than me and probably doesn't drive as aggressively as I do. Not that I am some kind of speed demon or anything.

Thanks for the input.

Anchors Aweigh
:wink2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am located south of you in Northern BC. I have a 2000 OB with a 4 cylinder and a 2014 OB with a 6 cylinder. Purchased the 6 cylinder down south on Vancouver Island, and my wife and I drove both home. Was quite surprised that whenever we stopped for gas, the 6 cylinder was always a bit cheaper to fill. I think it is because the 4 has to work that much harder especially with all the hills in BC. My wife is not a hot rodder but she prefers the 6 cylinder. Many highways in BC are only double lane and not that many long straight stretches, so having the extra power gives her more confidence with passing. I find the 6 cylinder quieter and smoother than the 4 also. Whatever your choice, test drive before buying. Good luck!
We've driven the Alcan (or as it's prefered here anyway, the Alaskan Highway) several times back and forth to the lower 48. The 2006 Honda CRV AWD was a 6 cyl and we didn't have any trouble even in November with all season tires. The drive to Fairbanks doesn't have what I would consider mountians but it does have a couple of places with a good grade. Local driving is really limited to near flat land - unless you need a cell phone signal of course. Yep, always test drive.

We've considered buying in Seattle and taking the ferry back up and making a mini vacation out of the experience. Buying a set of winter wheels/tires and hauling them up in the back. People here go both ways - having two sets of wheels/tires or just changing the tires each winter.

I appreciate your input.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
I had a 2000 2.5 automatic wagon, before the cars I have now. it would get like 23mpg on 87 octane, and like 27mpg on 93 octane.

the lighter 2002 2.5 auto sedan I have gets a steady diet of 87 octane, and gets 29mpg easily. and the big jump made me think those early 2000 EJ251s must have some strange quirk in them, (my old wagon was one of the first of its kind with that then new engine, with a couple japanese made 99 foresters out with those Ej251/ 252 engines before mine rolled out of indiana).

my 3.0 wagon gets about 27mpg on 93 octane (those 2001-09 ones recommend high octane, vs. your happy 3.6).

_____

today I figure pennies per mile and usually take the sedan,
unless I need space, or there is heavy rain/ snow/ ice as the wagon just performs a whole lot better on sloppy pavement.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
We've driven the Alcan (or as it's prefered here anyway, the Alaskan Highway) several times back and forth to the lower 48. The 2006 Honda CRV AWD was a 6 cyl and we didn't have any trouble even in November with all season tires. The drive to Fairbanks doesn't have what I would consider mountians but it does have a couple of places with a good grade. Local driving is really limited to near flat land - unless you need a cell phone signal of course. Yep, always test drive.

We've considered buying in Seattle and taking the ferry back up and making a mini vacation out of the experience. Buying a set of winter wheels/tires and hauling them up in the back. People here go both ways - having two sets of wheels/tires or just changing the tires each winter.

I appreciate your input.
I think you got a typo there. 2006 honda crv's got 4 cylinders, (2.4 liter ), the Pilot was the one with the 6.
I see recent iterations of the CRV, some got a 1.5 turbo.

here is one of the roller tests that subaru loves,
its a old video with old 2007 era cars, but it is one of the longer versions with more good talking and diagrams

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just when you think it over. Drive them and ask people who own what they think. This forum is close to 7 to 10 six owners on last survey yet 9 out of of every 10 or more made have a four. so take that into consideration, Doug

·
Registered
considering buying Outback
82 Posts
Just when you think it over. Drive them and ask people who own what they think. This forum is close to 7 to 10 six owners on last survey yet 9 out of of every 10 or more made have a four. so take that into consideration, Doug
i did the math the gas savings over 50,000 miles of driving, even at 4 dollars a gallon is only about $1,100. 50,000 miles is a lot of driving to be sitting there saying Im saving money by driving a 4 cylinder. about $250 a year isnt going to make much difference.

what is really crazy when people pay 25,000 dollars for a 17,000 dollar car to get 40 miles a gallon, also know as a Pirus!!!:grin2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you got a typo there. 2006 honda crv's got 4 cylinders, (2.4 liter ), the Pilot was the one with the 6.
I see recent iterations of the CRV, some got a 1.5 turbo.

here is one of the roller tests that subaru loves,
its a old video with old 2007 era cars, but it is one of the longer versions with more good talking and diagrams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OzK-oRPCbs
Yes, you are correct, it was a 4 cylinder. Gas mileage of a 6 :crying: . Thanks for the correction. Vehicles are starting to run together! Good video and thanks again.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
Yes, you are correct, it was a 4 cylinder. Gas mileage of a 6 :crying: . Thanks for the correction. Vehicles are starting to run together! Good video and thanks again.
here is another old video.

first one is some kind of forester, 2nd one is a audi all road A6 wagon and doing something similar to the roller test but on a icy ski hill. and the audi needs some momentum to make the grade there.

If you are thinking about a forester, test drive it for more then 45 minutes, the front seats are weird and may wear on you. I have yet to sit in one that I would want to own, but some people love them though. the ones they have now are based on the old impreza platform, (smaller then outback in square feet inside, but with a taller roof line). next year it will get on the new global platform.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
346 Posts
The CRVs were always 4 cyl, never a 6 cyl option. The latest model has the 4cyl in base and a 1.5 turbo option. The mileage is much better than what it was back in 2006 :) ... CRV is a solid reliable vehicle but as others have pointed out the awd is basic and more of a reactive slip and grip system. It is primarily a fwd until a slip is detected ... that being said with good all terrains I have seen people take them on a lot of mild trails and they are good in snow / ice. Ground clearance is also lower than outback.

Outback has always been a bit bigger than the CRV, however i think the latest CRV model has increased dimensions and size is probably more or less the same.
I owned a 2007 CRV for 9+ yrs and now have an outback. As mush as I love the CRV I can say that I take the outback places where I would never take the CRV. With its awd and x-mode I have been impressed by what it can do even with the ordinary stock tires.

If you are looking at a good reliable vehicle you wont go wrong with either, it boils down to personal preference / choice :)
Good Luck !

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
889 Posts
A good friend and former truck driver has a 2011 OB with a 4cyl and is really impressed with the gas mileage. He's about 10 years older than me and probably doesn't drive as aggressively as I do. Not that I am some kind of speed demon or anything.

Thanks for the input.

Aggressive? The 2.5 is not the way to go! I drive like a land turtle, so its fine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts