Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2004 Outback with less than 1,000 miles has an infrequent screech coming from somewhere under the dash. I thought it might be the vent system, but I shut it completely off and it still made the noise a few minutes later. It doesn't happen often but it's freaking my wife out. Does anyone have any ideas ????

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I never heard of that one before. Is there any chance that something fell into the vent intake and is hitting the fan?

Does the condition arise under any particular circumstances?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't seem to occur at any certain time. First time it happened I was going pretty slow. Then it happend at 80 mph on the freeway. Ventilation fan speed doesn't seem to affect it, nor does the setting the vent system is on. It sounds like a small electric motor running with no lubrication. It only lasts a few seconds at a time. Other than that, this car is great, for the price I should have bought two.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Well, I'm sorry to say it, but I think you have dashboard owls. That screeching is the sound of the chicks begging for food. They probably awaken because of the jostling when you drive. Do you find regurgitated rhodent skeletons on your floormats? You might consider opening the windows and leaving the car parked in a mixed woodland habitat.

Yes.......

In other words, I have no idea what might be causing this noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
High pitched screech

I've got a 2001 Outback L.L. Bean that i bought 2 months ago. It makes this noise occasionally when going more than 50 MPH. It is intermittent and brief and seems to be coming from below the left side of the dash maybe near the wheel well.

I just did a trip to FL and the noise was really frequent and lasted many seconds at a time. The screech drove me nuts as it could be heard over the radio. I took the car to my Dad's mechanic in FL and he checked it all out but could not get the noise to occur (he never drove it over 50). However, he claimed every thing else was okay.

On the way back the noise occurred about 80% of the ride home. I'm looking to see if others are experiencing this noise. I called the local Subaru dealer asking about reports of this noise and of course they said they never heard of any sounds like this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm kinda glad someone else has this problem, so at least I know I'm not hearing things. Most of the time I hear it I am on the freeway at over 50. But the first time I heard it we were on Highway One, somewhere south of Big Sur, and NOT going 50. It does seem to be going away, and I haven't heard it for the last month or so. Any ideas would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought this used 2001 Bean on 2/8/04. All seems to be fine save for the screech and the gas mileage. I can live with the mileage but the screech is making me think of getting rid of this car.

I never hear this noise unless I'm on an interstate type road and I do not hear it every time I am on one of these roads.

I first heard it at around 70mph for just a brief second. I thought it was distortion from the radio. I turned off the radio and heard it again (same pitch/duration) about 2 minutes later. A couple of weeks later I heard it again - same pitch/duration as before.

A few days later while driving into Atlanta (about 20 miles) it started again. Now, however, it occurred about every 45-60 seconds.

As I mentioned in my other post, the noise was unbearable on a recent trip to Florida and back to Atlanta. The pitch stayed the same but the duration became longer and longer until it was lasting 15 - 30 seconds at a time with a very, very short interval between screeches.

My Dad's mechanic checked out the car - never could get the screech to occur - and said it appeared to be fine. On the 18 mile drive back to my Dad's house, the screech returned but this time I was only going about 40-45 mph.

The Subaru dealer near my house tells me it might be the wind noise from the roof rack! Another Subaru dealer told me it was probably wind noise over the wipers. The third dealer I called in Atlanta told me he never heard of this.

Since the noise seems to be occurring for an extended duration and is very hard to describe to anyone, I have bought a small handheld tape recorded which I am keeping in the car. My hope is to tape this noise and then play it back to the dealer/mechanic to see if they can figure out what it might be. If I'm successful, I'll post a follow up.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
I've heard of a squealing or screeching that can come from the spinning speedometer drive cable, but only on older cars, not on something as new as these.

When this noise comes up, do you see anything erratic about the speedometer behavior? Maybe see if pushing the trip meter reset button has any effect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That was the first thing I thought of. I had a 71 Dodge colt that made that noise for a while before the speedometer cable broke.

There is nothing out of the ordinary on the speedometer when this noise occurs. As I recall the colt speedometer needle vibrated whenever it made the noise.

My Dad's mechanic who checked out the car for me mentioned the speedometer cable but further said that the new cars don't use cables since most everything is done electronically....At least that is what I think he said.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I'm sure I'm off base since the last car I knew how to work on was a 63 chevy, but I am thinking it may be the plastic panels that run along the bottom of the car. My car is Green with a beige color running along the bottom from front to back. Since this noise is infrequent I'm wondring if air might be getting behind one of the front left panels and causing it to vibrate which comes across like a screech.

I drove it about 28 miles on the freeway today hoping to tape the noise when it began. However, it never made the noise once. Go figure!

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
I drove it about 28 miles on the freeway today hoping to tape the noise when it began. However, it never made the noise once. Go figure!
Well, I hope you had the good sense to bill yourself for an hour of shop time

... he said ...

I'm stumped. But if it is a sharp-sounding screech, then I would think it's not coming from the outside of the car, whether a roof rack, trim, etc., because that would muffle the sound. If it's in the cabin with you, and it sounds like something mechanical, and if it's not a speedo drive cable or the vent fan, then I just don't know.

Back to the dashboard owl scenario.

·
Registered
04 Legacy Outback Wagon
2 Posts
Under Dash Screech

My 04 Outback Wagon with 35,000 miles started screeching in January while driving to Florida. Usually it happened when the temperature was above 70 and the speed above 65, but it has happened as low as 50. Turning off the A/C, radio, cruise and hitting the brake did not have any affect on the noise. As we headed north and it got colder, it didn't screech no matter how fast I drove. Now that the temperature is higher in New York it has started again. The dealer said it was caused by the wind at the windshield and suggested I have it resealed. I did, but that didn't fix it. Now I've noticed that each time it screeches, the car pulls to the left very slightly. I recorded the noise this time and will take it to the dealer along with copies of stories from this site. Are there any more reports of this happening to others? Did you get yours fixed?

·
Registered
2006 2.5i OBP
88 Posts
I had this happen once on a 2001 cavalier. We got rid of it before we found the problem. I did notice, however, that if I were to push on the upper corner (passenger side) of the front windshield I could make the noise stop. You could give it a try? You might also want to try pushing on the side windows and see if maybe they are not sealing correctly. I hope you find it, the noise is very annoying!!

·
Registered
04 Legacy Outback Wagon
2 Posts
MY SCREECH IS FIXED! Wind was getting under the seal that goes around the windshield after the glass was replaced. An EXCEL auto glass dealer added some material and glue to the seal that runs from the bottom of the left side of the windshield to the top. No more screech.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same problem on the 2002 Outback Sedan I recently got. Your post was a long time ago, but if you figured it out - it would be of great assistance to me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i crystal white pearl
473 Posts
Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same problem on the 2002 Outback Sedan I recently got. Your post was a long time ago, but if you figured it out - it would be of great assistance to me.

Thanks.
Someone stated right above your question that it was a seal problem around the windshield

1 - 15 of 15 Posts