Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of a 2011 Outback here. Had Lemonsquad do the inspection. Inspector reported minor surface rust, so I bought the car because there were no other problems. Today I (naively, maybe) showed the inspection photos to a buddy who works on cars, and he's worried about the rust. Reading through the forums, I see rust in the undercarriage isn't unusual for 3rd gen Subarus in the Northeast. Now that I have the car, is this amount of rust something I should have treated with corrosion protection? Or take it in to an exhaust place? Or just leave it alone?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Could do it yourself, or pay someone to apply something like fluid film / woolwax

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,917 Posts
Looks like the car I have in the shop from Mass. Those exhaust joints will eventually need fixing. Hopefully not the way someone "fixed" the one in my shop. They cut out the flanges and welded sections of pipe in their place. Made it one piece from engine to bumper. 🙁 I'm changing it all out with new. (It needed cats and the engine came out for HG leak repair.)

The ones that should be checked are the front weld joints, flanges and pipe. An exhaust leak can affect the sensor feedback along with possible fume intrusion in to the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts