Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Premium w/ES 2002 2.5 OB 142k mi
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I' m trying to do the first oil change on my Premium. I don't have enough leverage room to use a breaker pipe to get the bolt loose. I don't see any slider access so I'm thinking about taking off the plastic undercover. However it looks like it's the whole width of the car with many bolt points and would be difficult to get back on. Has anybody done this? Am I missing a slider?

·
Registered
'17 Otbk Prem. Wilderness Green
60 Posts
I' m trying to do the first oil change on my Premium. I don't have enough leverage room to use a breaker pipe to get the bolt loose. I don't see any slider access so I'm thinking about taking off the plastic undercover. However it looks like it's the whole width of the car with many bolt points and would be difficult to get back on. Has anybody done this? Am I missing a slider?

BayNative,
Are you describing the bolt on the oil pan? If so, it's is a bit of a bear the first time as I recall. I think removing the plastic covering would give more trouble than good. I also believe that cover is held in place with plastic plugs. A flathead with painters tape will pop them and prevent any gouging.

On another note, If you plan on doing all oil changes yourself moving forward, may I suggest the Fumoto Drain Valve and a rubber hose? A press down and slide and the oil comes right out. No tools needed. The valve is the best $30 investment for any vehicle IMO. I go the rubber hose from my local auto parts store.

Could you post pictures of your issue?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,160 Posts
I don't have enough leverage room to use a breaker pipe to get the bolt loose.
Try a 6-point socket and short extension with your breaker bar. The drain plug will eventually pop loose. There is usually a thin layer of paint from the factory that sticks the plug to the pan and makes the first removal more difficult than afterwards. The paint also usually sticks the crush washer to the drain plug or the pan, too, so be sure to remove the OE crush washer and replace it with a new one.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,716 Posts
+1 on the breaker bar and a short extension.

+1 on the Fumuto. I have the N model.

I also like the little plastic locking piece for the Fumuto myself.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,148 Posts
It's not too hard to remove the pan, Use a small screwdriver to pull up the center part of the clip about 1/4", then pull the whole clip out. There are a few on the front sides that are smaller so make note. I did it when I installed my Fumoto to get access for torqueing the valve (and just to see the layout of the front end). I used the short Fumoto F-108 valve (no extension) w/o issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not too hard to remove the pan, Use a small screwdriver to pull up the center part of the clip about 1/4", then pull the whole clip out. There are a few on the front sides that are smaller so make note. I did it when I installed my Fumoto to get access for torqueing the valve (and just to see the layout of the front end). I used the short Fumoto F-108 valve (no extension) w/o issue. Good luck.
Thank-you for answering my question!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I was finally able to get the plug loose without removing the undercover, ditching most of the socket wrench extenders and regular depth socket I tried and using an extended depth socket and the shortest extender. I was able to get a short length of pipe over the wrench handle and get it loose. I did install a Fumoto but to a wretched outcome. I forgot to check to make sure it was shipped closed. But it wasn't so now I'm dealing with a major oil mess in my garage. Didn't notice until I was picking up tools and all of that expensive Mobil 1 had been lost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts