Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Regardless of how dangerous, fuel from the tank should not make it inside the car.
At the risk of repeating myself - I had this happen to my Baja.... in my case, the fuel-line from the top of the tank popped clear off. The engine stalled but the fuel-pump continued to pump fuel out of the nozzle on the top of the tank. a puddle of fuel formed underneath my stalled vehicle.

To respond to your post - since this nozzle on the top of the tank is below the rear seat.... this is why the OP found the gasoline under the seat. (INSIDE the vehicle)

·
Registered
16,818 Posts
. . . in my case, the fuel-line from the top of the tank popped clear off. The engine stalled but the fuel-pump continued to pump fuel out of the nozzle on the top of the tank. a puddle of fuel formed underneath my stalled vehicle.

To respond to your post - since this nozzle on the top of the tank is below the rear seat.... this is why the OP found the gasoline under the seat. (INSIDE the vehicle)
What nozzle are you referring to? Is this on the top of the fuel tank (at the fuel pump)? If so, then that's below the floor pan and the black cover that provides access to the pump below (mounted on top of the fuel tank, which is below the floor pan). In that case gasoline pumped by the fuel pump will indeed pool on top of the tank and run down to the ground. But there's still no path for it to go up past the black cover or floor pan and reach the bottom of the seat. (Exception might be the lines identified in the next post.)

·
Registered
16,818 Posts
add photos

Regardless of how dangerous, fuel from the tank should not make it inside the car.
I tend to agree. But . . .

Having had another look at my 07, I'm fairly confident that the two metal lines on the right side of the floor area are brake lines. (See annotated photos attached here.) There's two brake lines coming from the engine compartment that go down through the floor pan and appear on the lower side adjacent to the fuel tank. They pass through a junction block next to the tank and then go to the two rear wheels. (The pipes into and out of the junction box are the subject of the 2005-9 Subaru WQK-47 brake line recall.) The path of the brake lines shown in the FSM corresponds to what is seen under the rear seat area.

The other lines on the left side of the floor area (see annotated photos attached here) are a different color and larger in diameter. (The brake lines are black, the others are more of a dark gray.) These correspond to the fuel line diagrams in my 07 FSM in terms of their shape as far as I can see them, and the location of the large grommets that they pass through. (The 07 has two lines going forward to the engine compartment -- fuel supply, and purge line; the 2005 has three -- fuel supply, fuel regulator return line, and purge line.)

According to the FSM for both the 05 and 07, to replace the fuel delivery and evaporation lines, first "Remove the floor mat. <Ref. to EI-69, REMOVAL, Floor Mat". The "floor mat" is the carpet cover over the floor, which I presume then exposes the fuel lines, perhaps under a protective cover.

So, I'm just as surprised that the fuel lines appear to be in the cabin area, but it has been a learning experience.

Now, turning back to the problem, where was the seat foam wet-- on one side or across the whole bottom? If it was on the left side, perhaps near those metal lines going through the floor pan, there could be a leak there.

edit: I've added annotated photos of the floor area under the rear seat of my 07, taken from the left and right side doors.

Also, the photo in this post shows the floor pan area of a 2012, but we can see the two brake lines running along the far right side. (Looking for a photo of the other side . . .)

Attachments

·
Registered
16,818 Posts
Looking at your photos, and my removed seat, it looks as if the darkened areas are on the lowest part of the foam under the seat, which are at the opposite ends. That suggests the gasoline wasn't just on side, which I would expect if the leak was coming from out the fuel pump cover, or the sub-pick up cover. (Unless there was so much collecting on the floor pan in that area that it was all across the under-seat area.

If there's a leak in the tank, or at the fuel pump, or in the fuel lines outside the cabin (i.e. under the floor pan), there might also be signs of leakage underneath the car, e.g., traces of earlier liquid flow in the dust, or on the surfaces, if not actual moisture (although in FL it probably would vaporize quickly.) Did the dealer, check for any signs of leakage from underneath?

·
Registered
16,818 Posts
Under the soundproofing padding on the floor pan there could be openings that are normally filled with a rubber seal/grommet. Looking at my floor, there's two of these, on either side, in the vicinity of where it appears the staining is on the bottom of your seat. (Attached photo.) I wonder if, as others have suggested, there is a large leak underneath, and the fuel is finding it's way up through a missing grommet, saturating the soundproofing pad, and that's then transferred to the seat foam resting on the pad.

Do you know the history of the car -- major repairs, collisions, etc . -- anything that could have led to damage or missing parts?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, just had same thing happen in my 06 LLBean. Bottom of rear seat soaked in fuel on passenger side. No sign of leakage from fuel pump housing. Gasket on cover is intact. Removed seat and cut away damaged foam, inspected fuel housing and nipples / connectors. No fuel smell or leakage on outside / underneath vehicle. One possibility would be a leaky filler pipe then running down fuel door release cable?This is a mystery.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts