Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a strange issue with my 2006 LL Bean outback. It appeared as though the passenger side of the car was slightly higher that the drivers side, so I took a series of measurement around the entire car.

What I found was that the passenger side is indeed a little over a hilf inch higher than the drivers side??

Has anyone else noticed this? Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should note that I had a mechanic friend of mine replace the struts with gen 4 ones about 5,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
Did you buy the car new?
Perhaps a previous owner was severely overweight. Many times, when there is someone huge behind the wheel, the vehicle they are driving is visibly lower on the left side.

For those people, I would recommend installing air shocks on the left side to compensate for the extreme weight on the left side of the car.

Of course the air shocks are just a fun thought, I'm not serious about anyone actually doing that as it would really screw up both the vehicle's handling and ride.

I know of some people, even a couple of close-friends, who are well over 400 pounds!
:)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
i had the same problem after installing brand new struts except mine was the drivers side rear. installing new springs solved the issue.

ironically - i was expecting some kind of obvious sign or issue when I removed the old spring....and there was nothing.

shortly afterward the sagging happened, about 2 months - i had some crazy performance issues. the rear of the car would bump sideways a few inches at 55+ mph when hitting bumps and cause the car to fishtail. felt odd at light weights but with 3 or more people in the car - it would get exponentially worse to the point that it was very unnerving. if i saw this again i'd install new springs right away.

this is pure speculation but now that you're having issues too...i wonder if new struts sort of exacerbate a deteriorating spring...like the new struts stretches or puts the spring in a slightly different range than it was before and it's not up to the task any more.

new springs were less than $40 from online subaru vendor.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,322 Posts
Did you buy the car new?
Perhaps a previous owner was severely overweight. Many times, when there is someone huge behind the wheel, the vehicle they are driving is visibly lower on the left side.

For those people, I would recommend installing air shocks on the left side to compensate for the extreme weight on the left side of the car.

Of course the air shocks are just a fun thought, I'm not serious about anyone actually doing that as it would really screw up both the vehicle's handling and ride.

I know of some people, even a couple of close-friends, who are well over 400 pounds!
:)
You're really a comedian out of work aren't you?

Could be springs. You would need to measure the ride height at each wheel. Maybe measure the compressed spring length on level ground. If its the rear that are bad, replace both. If the front are bad, replace all 4.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Was this obvious before the struts were done? It is possible that a spring or springs are not properly seated in the struts.

·
Registered
05 manual XTL stage 2 with post facelift JDM front end
348 Posts
Bump. I just noticed my 05 is having the same issue at the front. fyi, front shocks are still original, but I did change the rear ones with kyb 00-04 struts combined with rallitek overload springs. Really strange...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts