Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
‘20 Outback XT Limited, ‘01 Honda S2000
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this?

I bought a Limited XT and hate this feature. It tells me my eyes are off the road if I even lean in the seat too much. I don't use the driver profile system at all. It's mostly just a nuisance that is really inconsistent.

I just did the 504 update and realized there's only 3 software versions: base, big screen w/o nav, and big screen w/ nav. You can buy an Outback with navigation, but without the Driver Focus, which leads me to believe that this "feature" and the associated software is only enabled when the module is plugged into the head unit. There doesn't appear to be any software difference if you have Driver Focus or not, so it must be embedded in all of them and checks for on start up?

If that's the case, my thought is I could just unplug the module and it'll be fine. Similarly, you could add it to your outback if you want to buy the module and trim pieces.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone tried this?

I bought a Limited XT and hate this feature. It tells me my eyes are off the road if I even lean in the seat too much. I don't use the driver profile system at all. It's mostly just a nuisance that is really inconsistent.

I just did the 504 update and realized there's only 3 software versions: base, big screen w/o nav, and big screen w/ nav. You can buy an Outback with navigation, but without the Driver Focus, which leads me to believe that this "feature" and the associated software is only enabled when the module is plugged into the head unit. There doesn't appear to be any software difference if you have Driver Focus or not, so it must be embedded in all of them and checks for on start up?

If that's the case, my thought is I could just unplug the module and it'll be fine. Similarly, you could add it to your outback if you want to buy the module and trim pieces.

Thoughts?
DriverFocus Distraction Mitigation is standard on the Limited XT and Touring XT trims and is available on the Limited trim (non-XT) as well. But my thoughts are that you can disable it from within one of the sub menus from the center headunit, I believe? Not sure if it’s one of those things that’s is re-enabled per each ignition ON event or not...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DriverFocus Distraction Mitigation is standard on the Limited XT and Touring XT trims and is available on the Limited trim (non-XT) as well. But my thoughts are that you can disable it from within one of the sub menus from the center headunit, I believe? Not sure if it’s one of those things that’s is re-enabled per each ignition ON event or not...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just disable it in the menu, no need to take the dash apart

Turning it off via the infotainment gives pretty inconsistent results. Sometimes it resets on ignition, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 restarts, but it eventually reverts back on. Curious if anyone unplugged it. Based on some accessory instruction manuals, looks like it's relatively easy to get to. Was just curious if anyone has gone down this route yet or not.

Maybe the 504 update retains this setting change. That would be ideal. I'll test it over the next few days.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,434 Posts
Turning it off via the infotainment gives pretty inconsistent results. Sometimes it resets on ignition, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 restarts, but it eventually reverts back on. Curious if anyone unplugged it. Based on some accessory instruction manuals, looks like it's relatively easy to get to. Was just curious if anyone has gone down this route yet or not.

Maybe the 504 update retains this setting change. That would be ideal. I'll test it over the next few days.
Thinking out loud...... I'd really try to get it to stick through the drivers menu. If that fails, you might be able to access it (or better yet have your dealer access it) through the Dealer or Factory Modes. ( Be careful as it looks like it could get ugly in those menu's) These cars are so technical and interdependant, I doubt pulling a plug is going to clean solution that doesn't bring up other issues/warnings.

·
Registered
2020 Touring xt
71 Posts
I just put a piece of electrical tape over it. I get one quick beep and the the small "i" symbol shows up next to all the other icons of stuff I have turned off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking out loud...... I'd really try to get it to stick through the drivers menu. If that fails, you might be able to access it (or better yet have your dealer access it) through the Dealer or Factory Modes. ( Be careful as it looks like it could get ugly in those menu's) These cars are so technical and interdependant, I doubt pulling a plug is going to clean solution that doesn't bring up other issues/warnings.
If it doesn't do what I expect, I'll just plug it back in. No harm, no foul. :)

I just put a piece of electrical tape over it. I get one quick beep and the the small "i" symbol shows up next to all the other icons of stuff I have turned off.
Ha, that's a good idea. Didn't think what happens with it if it's totally blocked. If option 1 doesn't work, I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Like Auto S/S this function resets on every restart for me. I have the Limited trim. I have deleted all user profiles as well hoping this would make it stick but no love. With user profiles it would hold for 1 or 2 restarts then it would reset... I find the function useless as well. It's constantly telling me to keep my eyes on the road, take a break, etc.... Sounded great when I bought the vehicle but found it immediately annoying and useless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts