Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worthwhile upgrading a 2010 Outback 3.6 limited with 45,000 km to a 2013. Are there sufficient upgrades?

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
i dont think its worth all the extra debt you will take on, unless you are excessively wealthy. but i cant tell you how to spend your money. several people upgrade from '11s to '12s or something like that, its all up to you. the '13s have some nice features, but not worth the money in my opinion. ive considered trading in my '11 for a '13, not worth $10k or more

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
Moved to correct forum.

·
Registered
351 Posts
We have rev a and b (2013) of gen 4 within the family. Both are great products. The 2013 purchase was easy for me because I was driving something almost 14 years old.

My best description is the 2013 is firmer in corners and cross winds but grille is not as good looking. I hope it's fair for somebody with both in the family to say the latter.

Cars can be necessary but also a perverted way to flush money down the toilet. Only you can decide if you are in necessity or money flush mode.

:)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Break out your spreadsheet, number$/valuation don’t lie.<O:p</O:p
I sent off my last pymnt in Aug, I can do the GTP and all that, yes the 2013 is improved, but it is still all within the same 4th gen – no thanks.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don't think it's a big enough change. When making the decision to buy a discounted '12 over waiting for a '13, there just wasn't enough to justify the extra cost.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The real question is whether it's worth it to you. As previously mentioned, unless you're looking to buy outright, I don't think it would be worth the added debt. If you've been wanting to upgrade from your 2010, then maybe it's time to do so. A more rigid structure and better handling suspension are nice, as is the -in my opinion- more masculine front end.
Go test drive one! If it floats your boat, do what makes ya happy.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Is it worthwhile upgrading a 2010 Outback 3.6 limited with 45,000 km to a 2013. Are there sufficient upgrades?
All depends on the reasons for the upgrade. We upgraded our 2010 2.5 Ltd earlier this month to a 2.5 Ltd SAP because the wife disliked the Black 2010 (she has always had white before this) and she wanted the Backup Camera (NAV Type) so that she would not inadvertently run over the grand niece and nephew. She also wanted the programmable seats. The rest of the SAP package was so so in her opinion. We did have the moon roof in the 2010.

Now the 2013 has a different engine, no timing belt and better suspension. Both of which are good. The 2013 appears to get about 1 or 2 MPG (urban use) less than the 2010; but has much better acceleration - maybe that's a "right foot thing".

We did take a bit of a loss for the 3 years + 1 day (39k miles) that we owned the 2010. Just a little less than $8k; however, all things considered it was not too bad - now, maybe, she will not harp about the color everyday (buyers remorse personified). We special ordered the 2013 and the price was at Invoice or slightly below (dealer was great). With the equity that we had in the 2010, after trade-in the payments were less; insurance was less; and the loan term was only two years longer. We added a few things such as a trailer hitch, bike rack, and a few other goodies that caused the price to escalate.

Overall, we are satisfied; however, I (actually, my son) still needs to teach my wife how to use the NAV, etc.

Done right, the upgrade should not be too painful; however, if you are upgrading a 2010 Premium for a 2013 Premium; it may be rather painful to the pocketbook (YMMV).

G-

·
Registered
546 Posts
i dont think its worth all the extra debt you will take on, unless you are excessively wealthy. but i cant tell you how to spend your money.
Ironically, this is the same advice I have been trying to give you for months and was called a hater for doing it.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Is it worthwhile upgrading a 2010 Outback 3.6 limited with 45,000 km ...?
Same engine, same transmission, 28,000 miles. 2013 would be
the exact same car -- except for some minor suspension mods.

...what's the point?

Looby

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Same engine, same transmission, 28,000 miles. 2013 would be
the exact same car -- except for some minor suspension mods.

...what's the point?

Looby
Simple he wants to give Subaru more money given its all about the LOVE right?

I just put 15 miles on my new non Continental tires 2 miles on the highway the rest on slow secondary roads. Hard to say for sure about handling but I can say 100% that my old 2010 rides WAY WAY better on the highway without the wobbly front continentals that hate being curbed even a light touch curbing job - and that egg of a tire on the back being gone sure makes the car smooth lacking the vibes in the seat.

Looking forward to seeing how these tires hold up and do given the Continentals were HORRID!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing