Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard replacing the up-pipe is a good idea. Why, what is it? and what is the cost. I found one for $100 on craigslist. Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The 05XT has a catalytic converter in the up-pipe which can fail and damage the turbine in the turbocharger.
The up-pipe feeds the turbo exhaust gas. A replacement is a couple hundred bucks and does not have the cat. You'll notice quicker turbo response. There is a exhaust gas temperature sensor in the factory pipe, so make sure the one you buy has a bung for it.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Actually, there's a resistor mod that you put on the egt sensor. There's no need for the egt sensor without the cat as it is only there to monitor cat temps. It's too far away from the cylinder head to be of any use.

You can find a used STI up pipe for less than $100. I actually found someone who provided the part and installed it for less than $100. Also, cheap ebay up pipes can sometimes have fitment issues. Research whichever one you buy. Up pipe leaks are a PITA!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Actually, there's a resistor mod that you put on the egt sensor. There's no need for the egt sensor without the cat as it is only there to monitor cat temps. It's too far away from the cylinder head to be of any use.

You can find a used STI up pipe for less than $100. I actually found someone who provided the part and installed it for less than $100. Also, cheap ebay up pipes can sometimes have fitment issues. Research whichever one you buy. Up pipe leaks are a PITA!
Yeah, Seabass is right. Thats what i ended up doing. I forgot that the wire leading up from under the engine to the top passenger side is the O2 sensor wire which is threaded into a bung in the passenger side manifold, not my upipe.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Others have mentioned you need a tune if you do this swap. Is that true or can you just swap and go?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
If you're using an unmodified stock downpipe, you don't need a tune. Your boost targets will still be accurate. The turbo will spool a little quicker, but it's nothing that needs tuning. I confirmed on my car that boost control was working perfectly without messing with my tune.

I'd definitely recommend a stage 1 tune though. Not because it's needed for the up pipe, but because despite adding power, it's usually safer than the stock tune for the engine.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I can't help but ask - What is considered the most economical stage 1 tune option?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
The most economical would be an etune from someone like infamous. On legacygt, there is also cryo. I'd probably recommend cryo before infamous due to ridiculously long delays.

Get yourself a vag-com cable and a laptop and read up on logging and flashing your ecu. Also read my sticky on xt performance mods. Lots of links in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
dryvby
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing