Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Legacy Outback Base
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update 2: Soldering the hatch did in fact help with a lot of symptoms including random braking and getting shocked/feeling static.

Still getting engine braking and TCC lockups type symtoms. Swapped the pan and did my third drain and fill. Helped smooth out shifting just like each of the previous drain and fills.

Went and did some FWD/AWD tests. These were my findings:

Fwd fuse 28 psi all around

-smooth acceleration
-under load up hill 60mph shudder/wobbles
-better when turning left, worse turning right
-no whine/idle shudder
-motor purrs
-no loss of power
-blinking tpms light under load
-smooth shifting P to R, D to R, P to D
-cold bay
-figure 8s smoother, no drone, whine present, idle shudder came back

AWD 28psi all around

-rapid deceleration
-idle shudder
-shudder under acceleration
-slippage
-bitch sounds like a turbo diesel
-kills it up hills
-Rough shifting
-ticking in park
-squeal approx 4x the speed off the wheel
-coasting neutral downhill erratic approx. 800rpm-1500rpm
-drone/whine figure 8s clanked in park
-hot bay

31/29 fwd (aftmkt oe psi)

-whine no drone figure 8. Low idle.
-bad shimmy shake under load. Left it disappears, straight right worse.
-delay D to P P to R D to P
-noisier engine
-engine braking, not as severe
-hot bay

31/29 AWD
-droney noisey
-Figure 8s steering tight to right. Very droney/whiney. Clunking. Noisy idle, rattle.
-Delay into R, short delay into D.
-bad shimmy under load to right.
-bearing type noise around corners
-random engine braking
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Pretty sure this might be the issue! Pulled the harness and I am going to fix the severed wires. When I bought the car, I noticed the trailer connecter was melted AFTER the perfectly good fuse.

Fuse # 8, 20 Amps, main panel:

Auto A/C control module
Body integrated unit
Interior lights (incl.
Spot map light
Audio (radio)
Clock
Keyless entry control module
Step light LH
Step light RH
Luggage room light (Wagon model)
Trunk room light (Sedan model)

Fuse #14, 15 Amps, cabin fuse panel:

Parking lights
trailer connector
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The title is literal, the end of my already awful relationship was my obsession with this car.

I have a 2007 Legacy OB Wagon 4AT with 214,000 miles (rebuilt at 170,000). I love this car and I'm not giving up on it. Previous owner had to have the motor rebuilt after a lousy mechanic forgot to tighten down the head bolts.

Since the first week of February when the car became mine (previously driven by my idiot ex who did not maintenance for a year), I have done:

-Calipers
-Rotors
-Pads
-Wheels and tires
-Alignment
-Axles
-Exhaust from after the manifold back
-Plugs
-Wires
-Coil pack
-Alternator
-Battery
-Filters
-ATF drain and fills
-Both front axles and all wheel bearings
-Have read every page of the FSM and printed way too many
-Coolant and thermostat
-Oil change at most every 3000 miles
-Two doors due to being backed into while parked and one crappy one the previous owner paid $300 for that was rusted out
-MAF
-PS O ring
-Air Intake
-Clamps on hoses
-Cleaned TB and EGR
-Brake Light Switch
-Cleaned shift assembly and G sensor
-New battery Cables and Terminals
-Grounds
-Almost every exterior bulb aside from fog lights and front turn signals
-Probably more I can't remember

Every Mechanic that has touched it, aside from my current boyfriend, seems to have botched it up more, so I've done most of it myself.

Ex smashed the passengers side into a snow bank at about 10mph and the bumper was backed into it a stop light at Autozone a couple of months ago.

ECU is obviously in limp mode sometimes, restarting car will reset it, it's worse when warm, rainy, humid.

Bad vibrations and hard shifts sometimes. Previous owner said it always kind of started acting funny once it got warm outside. She also had it sitting 8 months before my ex and I bought.

Have replaced a lot of bulbs, drivers caliper piston seals blew with uneven pad wear, not the greatest gas milage. Started at 14 mpg when in got it, I am now up to 21. I've patched a lot of wiring as I've come across it.

Some sort of whining and knocking sounds. The most bizarre part, I feel tons of static and get shocked once in a while when driving. Only a couple of other people have felt it.

I just don't want the car to **** the bed. Any help is appreciated.

Lean to rich sensor switch
Min 0.000
Max 2.016
Test .032

Exhaust Gas Sensor bank 1 sensor 2
Min 0.000
Max .150v
Test 0.00

Min .550
Max 65.535
Test .815

O2 Sensor Circuit Failure Bank 1 sensor 2
Min 0.030
Max 65.535
Test .073

Min 0.000
Max 1.2
Test 0.073

EGR System Diagnosis
Min .360 Psi
Max 4.752
Test 1.717

Azure Font Line Screenshot Software Product Font Material property Screenshot Electronic device Product Font Material property Parallel Software Font Darkness Terrestrial plant Monochrome photography Number Font Screenshot Darkness Terrestrial plant Number Font Darkness Terrestrial plant Number Circle

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,756 Posts
I wish I could help you but this is beyond me - it sounds like you've already poured over all available information and anything I suggest you've probably already done, but since you didn't specifically mention it, have you tried disconnecting every connector (like the connectors to the ECU which I think is under the passenger footwell - it was there in my 2005 Legacy GT), spraying it with contact cleaner like Deoxit D5, and putting it back? You mentioned patching a lot of wiring.

Reactions: LTFurman25

·
Registered
Outback 2007 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
588 Posts
Sorry for asking what might be a simple question - is the ATF at correct level, checked when parked with engine running?
Any led's installed when changing bulbs? Checked the rear hatch boots for shorted wiring?

·
Premium Member
2007 Legacy Outback Base
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SilverOnyx,

I have been afraid to touch connectors in the engine bay, but that was my next step i suppose, because it's the only one left.

Could exposed wired on the manifold be causing this?

ATF seems to be correct. Sometimes little bubbles on the dipsticks.

Patched boot wires and boots aren't leaking.

It's been exceptionally rainy in Ithaca, NY this spring/summer.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,236 Posts
Another common thing with moisture is rubbed wiring behind the driver side inner fender splash shield iirc. Car is fine until moisture is involved. Any exposed wiring can be an issue, so yes a exposed wire on the intake manifold could be part of the problem.

·
Premium Member
2007 Legacy Outback Base
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another common thing with moisture is rubbed wiring behind the driver side inner fender splash shield iirc. Car is fine until moisture is involved. Any exposed wiring can be an issue, so yes a exposed wire on the intake manifold could be part of the problem.
I'll be looking there today and picking up electronics cleaner. Hopefully I can get something done before the rain.

·
Premium Member
2007 Legacy Outback Base
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got home with the cleaner. Cleared codes while at autozone, idle reset while there, normal driving through town, highway speeds both cruising and WOT, flat and up a hill. No codes yet, but got these.
Product Communication Device Font Gadget Material property
White Light Communication Device Gadget Font

·
Premium Member
2007 Legacy Outback Base
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car started and drove for about 15 mins fine, then I was parked and the car stalled. Started it again, immediately stalled. Started, gave it gas, stalled.

Boyfriend came down, checked everything out, started, drove home. Driving fine, but recently it's been doing this thing where if I take my foot off the gas, it would immediately drop to 1000 rpm and steering would get heavy.
Font Electric blue Circle Slope Pattern
Font Electric blue Circle Darkness Pattern
Font Electric blue Circle Darkness Number

1 - 11 of 11 Posts