Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I got my project 97 Outback running. To give a quick back-story, I bought a 97 Legacy that needed an engine after it continuiously ran hot from a headgasket issue and intermixed the oil and coolant. I, in turn, bought another Legacy from member 97legowagn (brian) that has a bad trans, but a good engine (and tons of other parts i'll need).

Its been an ongoing project, since I just had a baby 3 months ago, watched the dealership I worked at for 15 years close, and then quit the place that the company reassigned me to, and now drive over an hour to my new place of employment.

The engine has mls headgaskets on it, so I did not take it all the way down to them again. I did put a new timing belt, water pump and put a few new gaskets on the engine, and performed the swap over a couple of days.

My mom came down today to babysit so I could work in the garage and get it running. When I got it running, the check engine light rapidly flashed, the fans turned on and off, and several solenoids were clicking. I scanned it for codes and found 4 codes that kept coming back. I did a quick search on this site and found the diagnostic connector under the dash connected, causing my issues. I assume the previous owner's mechanic tried several things to try and reticfy its overheating issue, including connecting that connector under the dash. With it unplugged, the electrical system worked ok, but I was still getting a start, high-rev and stall condition. Another quick search revealed a common issue on big jobs like this. One of the tubes that connect to the air filter ductwork was still disconnected.

So I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that participated in previous posts and helped me find my answer. Sometimes, the search function does work. I still have alot of work to do to it, but I am alot closer to driving this car and getting it street legal, so I can go more than 2 days in between fillups, since I have to drive 50 miles one way to work and my Cutlass isn't fuel-friendly.

Thanks again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts