Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2010 OB 2.5 limited (past: 2009 OB Special Edition; unknown late 70's-early 80's wagon
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
No rust on my car

Amazing & interesting where this thread is going.

So, the deal is I live my car, it's been maintained & was running at brand new factory specs (and probably still was when the event occurred; I stopped immediately; car towed to Alpine where mechanic said it ran so fine he thought it was just a bad thermastat, although he agreed with blown head gasket when changing thermastat didn't fix overheating). The car was since towed to Midland Subaru where it's been undergoing diagnostics since yesterday afternoon.

It's taking so long to get a return call, my gut feeling is that I might have worse troubles than just a blown head gasket
I meant I love my car

·
Registered
2010 OB 2.5 limited (past: 2009 OB Special Edition; unknown late 70's-early 80's wagon
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Here's the verdict from Midlad Subaru. There's a hairline fracture in the aluminum block. The guy mentioned the poor design, saying the car doesn't have to be very hot for very long for this to occur.

And why would SOA put an idiot light instead of a temp gage in their vehicles?

The good news is thst they checked all other major car systems and suspension; no leaks or problems found. Fixing it with a short block should be ok, the other choices beimg a new or used car.

About 8k miles ago I had new OEM thermostat when timing belt / waterpump service done. The mechanic in Alpine found the thermostat was not workimg. Should an OEM thermostat fail after only 8000 miles? Did that failure lead to blown head gasket and hairline fracture in block?

·
Registered
2013 Impreza Sport, 2003 Toyota Highlander 3.0 FWD, 2009 Outback XT Limited 5MT - R.I.P.
377 Posts
I loved my OB too. That's why I gave up after putting $11k of repairs into it. Right after $11k it needed $3.5k more. I said I'm done. Traded it in for $3k and the dealership turned around and sold it for $9k. I didn't care at that point, bought a 15 year old Highlander and it hasn't given me ONE problem.

You've already done $6-8k in repairs, $3k more PROBABLY won't hurt you.

The tough thing is the emotions involved. If we didn't care this much about our cars it wouldn't be an issue.

I recommend fixing. But if anything major happens in the next year or two after, then I say sell.

It's such a tough decision. :-/

(Edit: monetary continuity.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here's the verdict from Midlad Subaru. There's a hairline fracture in the aluminum block. The guy mentioned the poor design, saying the car doesn't have to be very hot for very long for this to occur.

And why would SOA put an idiot light instead of a temp gage in their vehicles?

The good news is thst they checked all other major car systems and suspension; no leaks or problems found. Fixing it with a short block should be ok, the other choices beimg a new or used engine.

About 8k miles ago I had new OEM thermostat when timing belt / waterpump service done. The mechanic in Alpine found the thermostat was not workimg. Should an OEM thermostat fail after only 8000 miles? Did that failure lead to blown head gasket and hairline fracture in block?
Did you happen to see this recent post of someone with a cracked block? It might be of some help.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,485 Posts
I loved my OB too. That's why I gave up after putting $11k of repairs into it. Right after $11k it needed $3.5k more. I said I'm done. Traded it in for $3k and the dealership turned around and sold it for $9k. I didn't care at that point, bought a 15 year old Highlander and it hasn't given me ONE problem.

The tough thing is the emotions involved. If we didn't care this much about our cars it wouldn't be an issue.

I recommend fixing. But if anything major happens in the next year or two after, then I say sell.

I might have missed it but what cost 11k to repair on an Outback?

That's like the cost of a new transmission and a new engine.

Edit: Nevermind I looked it up. Was a Gen 3 XT.

·
Registered
2013 Impreza Sport, 2003 Toyota Highlander 3.0 FWD, 2009 Outback XT Limited 5MT - R.I.P.
377 Posts

Edit: Nevermind I looked it up. Was a Gen 3 XT.
Yessir, and it wasn't all at once. I gave up after the tranny. It cost me $1k more for the Highlander than it would have to fix the XT, I've had it for a year and a half now and absolutely zero issues. ?‍♂

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,485 Posts
Yessir, and it wasn't all at once. I gave up after the tranny. It cost me $1k more for the Highlander than it would have to fix the XT, I've had it for a year and a half now and absolutely zero issues. ?‍♂
Yup. That's the right call.

·
Registered
71 Posts

I'm curious where you got that quote of only $11k for a new engine and transmission?

I just had multiple quotes from a Subaru dealer for a new CVT transmission and it would be $8k - $9k for my 2011 Outback. I didn't get any quotes for a new 2.5 engine but there is no way it would only be $2k - $3k including labor. I'm in a HCOL area though and my local dealers labor rates are $135/hr and even the small independent shops that specialize in Subarus charge $100/hr.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,485 Posts
I'm curious where you got that quote of only $11k for a new engine and transmission?

I just had multiple quotes from a Subaru dealer for a new CVT transmission and it would be $8k - $9k for my 2011 Outback. I didn't get any quotes for a new 2.5 engine but there is no way it would only be $2k - $3k including labor. I'm in a HCOL area though and my local dealers labor rates are $135/hr and even the small independent shops that specialize in Subarus charge $100/hr.
I was thinking 7k for a trans.

Leaves 4k for a new block.

Or a rebuild on an EJ25.

My local independent shop charges $65 an hour. I'm sure that's low for a national average though.

A better phrase might be "like the cost of a new engine/trans" and maybe not "more than"

·
Registered
377 Posts
This was a period from 2015-2018. The $11k was for more than just an engine over those 3 years. I didn't keep detailed receipts from everything that was repaired because I figuratively threw them at the sales manager as he congratulated me on my purchase of a Highlander and laughed his way to the bank.

Edit: I should add I never went through with the transmission, that is where I finally drew the line.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Did you happen to see this recent post of someone with a cracked block? It might be of some help.

Actually, I haven't. Tks for telling me. I'll check it out.

Waiting for Midland to give me estimate on trade-in, and I've been checking out other vehicles around town.

Yet I still wonder if I should pay to put brand new engine in me beloved Outback that could be (is) considered "totalled"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Actually, I haven't. Tks for telling me. I'll check it out.

Waiting for Midland to give me estimate on trade-in, and I've been checking out other vehicles around town.

Yet I still wonder if I should pay to put brand new engine in me beloved Outback that could be (is) considered "totalled"
IfI fix the OB, somebody needs to figure out how to put a temerature gage in it. It blows my mined that my limited doesn't have one

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

The Highlander or 4 runner is one of my potential options. That or maybe a Toyota Seinna (?) AWD minivan or....I've been shopping around. Or a Lexus (checked out a GS but would need the LX, which was not on the lot.

So, this evening Midland Subaru said they could give me $750 - $1000 for my beloved OB on Trade-in. I then told the lady that if I bought something from them I wanted her best cssh offer. She told me they can't offer a discount for paying cash as that would be dicriminatiin against those who are financed. ???

Bottom line. I lot of people drive quirky cars. Since SOA can't seem to fix the problem, I think changing a head gasket shoild be considered routine maintenance & part of the price you expect to pay to drive one of their vehicles

I fully understand your frustration. My brother was right when he don't leave anything you care about in your car (I was out on a car camping trip to Big Bend Nat'l Park when it happened; I can pack extremely light or use all available space).

Came home on Amtrak twho could not accept my stuff in a storage bin at all, much less without a lid. So the hunt for the 1 & only large suitcase in Alpine began. There are still a couple of things I'd like to get out of the car.

It's just a mess

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm sorry for your headache. It frustrates me that cash is no longer king in the car buying arena, I just went private party last week for my Impreza and that probably saved me $3,000.

It's a tough decision figuring out what to do...I still wish I had my OB. But I'm ever so thankful that I'm not throwing any more money into it.

Oh and I'm never naming a vehicle again!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts