Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,681 Posts
The ECM needs the front AF sensor to manage fuel. The rear O2 is just to monitor the catalytic converter. It has a minimal role in fuel management. That's for a different discussion. Mostly covered in my P0420 Diagnosis thread. (link below and there's a lot of info on engine management)

The added grounds are good as long as the conductance is around 0.01 ohms. To the body you can get by with 0.02 ohms. Lower the value, the better. It's not a diesel where you can get by with 0.04 ohms. Grounding on these cars are extremely important. A weak ground will cause all kinds of issues and hardly ever the same thing consistently between cars with bad grounds or weak battery. You can have cat codes, lean codes, rich codes, auto trans issues, input correlation codes, communication, .........

So a multi-meter on those grounds to check them is a good idea.

A good way to do a ground kit on these cars is to use 4 gauge cable and tree all the large grounds together. 2 places on the intake, one to the alternator, one on the block, run to the bottom of the heads, and a couple to different sides of the body/firewall insuring the conductance is the same throughout. This is especially good if you operate extra accessories like stereos, lights, etc.

There are a few grounds out of the harness on the firewall that connect to the center brace above the front diff/bell housing. Where the pitch stop is bolted. You can even run a 10/12 gauge from the battery post to one of the ground lugs here to improve flow. These grounds go to the modules in the car. (Coincidently the ground by the ABS/VDCCM unit on the right strut tower is also the ground connected to the keyless entry. Odd? Yes. Why? Who knows. I haven't figured it out yet.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That timing belt is correctly aligned as far as I can see. The left hand camgear (looking at the front of the engine) is typically around 1/2 tooth out after installation.

The timing belt (valve) timing is not directly related to the spark timing (except that they are both synchronised by the timing belt). The spark timing is controlled by the position of the crankshaft gear and the crankshaft position sensor and the ECU.

I suspect the ECU is retarding the spark timing for some reason (maybe knock sensor data or O2 sensor data). Logging data with Romraider and getting the assistance of someone like @cardoc to help with the log file analysis is probably the best way to find why the ECU is retarding the timing.

Seagrass
You were right man... The left cam is a half a tooth off, when i moved it one tooth to over it was off a lot more than original. I am going to download romraider and when my cable is in go from there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have ordered my obd2 to usb cable and downloaded romradier to my laptop and cannot wait to see what it shows. Tonight i hooked up my scanner and was checking some live data while pulling out on a steep hill and noticed that my stft was always 0.0 or negative it even went to double digit negative like -15. What would make my computer trim so much fuel?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,681 Posts
Usually STFT at 0.0 for prolonged periods is OL fueling. The system will also show 0.0 when you're off throttle and coasting down until the car gets below about 40 mph, then the CL map takes over.

The -15, depends on what was going on. If it's for a long period it may be reducing due to incomplete burn or the AF is reporting the incorrect values to the ECM. At times you're on throttle heavy and then get off the trim will go negative for a second and then rebound.

A lot of factors are involved in how and when the ECM makes fuel corrections.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Usually STFT at 0.0 for prolonged periods is OL fueling. The system will also show 0.0 when you're off throttle and coasting down until the car gets below about 40 mph, then the CL map takes over.

The -15, depends on what was going on. If it's for a long period it may be reducing due to incomplete burn or the AF is reporting the incorrect values to the ECM. At times you're on throttle heavy and then get off the trim will go negative for a second and then rebound.

I was educating myself on the AVLS system that you mentioned earlier. I may be completely missing something, but mine is a 2006 baja which should have the ej253 with avls, but i am pretty sure they didn't put theses in the Bajas. When I look at the right front side of the engine above the timing cover there is only a cam sensor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

I called the dealership and had them run the vin and this baja has the ej251 I am guessing thats going to be important when running logs with romraider?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Not really. All the parameters are the same.

Take a picture of the front and top of the bank 2 head and post it. Driver side.
Here is the pic.. i found something else that may not be the issue but it certainly isn't helping...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Not really. All the parameters are the same.

Take a picture of the front and top of the bank 2 head and post it. Driver side.
I figured i might as well check the ecu and make sure it had not had an engine swap, i noticed there was two wire splices in the side bulkhead harness, when i went to check it out i noticed this (see picture) I am guessing this car has had some water damage in the past. I have worked on a lot of strip job vehicle ( i live in southwest Virginia and we have a huge coal mining industry) The state that comes off the mines is rough on the wiring of vehicles here. What we usually do is soak the wires in a mixture of vinegar and salt, then neutralize them in water and baking soda. Then we scrub them with a brass brush and pack it full of dielectric grease. its amazing how clean the wires get. Forgot to mention you have to pull the batteries and drain the computers first. I am in the process of doing this because all of the connectors are in rough shape.. I think the edu has been changed because it seem to be in a lot better shape.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I figured i might as well check the ecu and make sure it had not had an engine swap, i noticed there was two wire splices in the side bulkhead harness, when i went to check it out i noticed this (see picture) I am guessing this car has had some water damage in the past. I have worked on a lot of strip job vehicle ( i live in southwest Virginia and we have a huge coal mining industry) The state that comes off the mines is rough on the wiring of vehicles here. What we usually do is soak the wires in a mixture of vinegar and salt, then neutralize them in water and baking soda. Then we scrub them with a brass brush and pack it full of dielectric grease. its amazing how clean the wires get. Forgot to mention you have to pull the batteries and drain the computers first. I am in the process of doing this because all of the connectors are in rough shape.. I think the edu has been changed because it seem to be in a lot better shape.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
711 Posts
Nope... thats corrosion. Here is what it looks like after the vinegar/salt dip View attachment 487402
I think your best bet considering how bad the connector housing is, is to get a new connector housing, some terminals to put fresh crimps on and plug them in. Its really easy to do. Those look like standard metri pak terminals. Probably 280 series.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
That could be the bulk of your problem. Corrosion inhibits current flow so the ECM would be getting sparse data and would have difficulty managing the engine with output signals.
Well the only thing cleaning the connectors managed to fix was the annoying seatbelt alarm which I didn’t even know this car had until I cleaned them. After cleaning the connections I let the car warm up for 15 minutes to relearn and thought the car was fixed because the first run up the steep hill it ran great, then after that is was back to normal. It’s really noticeable when pulling out on steep hills. It pulls out at walking speed. It really reminds me of driving a car with the choke on. I may get the GoPro out later and shoot a video

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I think your best bet considering how bad the connector housing is, is to get a new connector housing, some terminals to put fresh crimps on and plug them in. Its really easy to do. Those look like standard metri pak terminals. Probably 280 series.
That is the plan. I have a buddy that retired from the phone company. He used to splice trunklines that have 2500 lines per trunk I may talk him into doing it lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
That is the plan. I have a buddy that retired from the phone company. He used to splice trunklines that have 2500 lines per trunk I may talk him into doing it

21 - 40 of 48 Posts