Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
Hard to say without a first-hand look, but I think I'm glad we
got the current generation Legacy rather than the 2015 model.

My biggest reservation with the new design is (in the words of
Dominick Infante, SOA's Product Communications Manager):

"...bigger dose of styling ... sportier ... smaller greenhouse
and more coupe-like structure ..."

Thanks a bunch, Dom, but I HATE cars that put form before
function -- with small greenhouses and coupe-like structure
(accompanied by reduced visibility, less glass, and less light).
Maybe the next generation of Eyesight will allow "the stylists"
to eliminate windows entirely.

Lots of glass and lots of headroom were major reasons that
I bought a 2013 Legacy -- rather than a Mazda6 or Accord.

I also think 18" wheels on the Limited is just plain stooopid.
If I wanted a pimpmobile, I'd choose my own garish wheels.

OTOH, it looks like it'll be possible to get a Legacy Premium
with most of the upscale amenities -- while avoiding leather.

...time will tell,

Looby

·
Registered
96 Outback 2.5 AT
427 Posts
It looks good though I still think I'm looking at a Ford Fusion from the outside and a Camry from the inside. Not a fan of electronic parking brakes but, at least Subaru moved it to the center conical.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts

Looby
Cannot agree more. My 95 Legacy wagon did not really need a back-up camera. I am glad that the 13 OB has it and the Tribeca absolutely needs it. I am also glad that the Forester keeps featuring sane design.

A couple of weeks ago I rented an Avenger at SFO. San Francisco is by no means a tough place to parallel park. Yet, the Avenger's design made sure it would not be the piece of cake it should have been either. The greatest offender were the enormous back pillars but it is the overall design that is just awful. I thought it was definitely a contender for worst among the several dozen models I have driven. On the other hand, the visibility was definitely a match for the vehicle's interior quality....

As for the wheels, while these look inappropriate on the Legacy they would be outright unbearable on the OB. The last thing an OB needs for the off-road are bigger wheels and shorter sidewalls...(especially with all the question marks now that the 3.6 goes CVT: there is still too limited feedback on the CVT off-road and it is doubtful that the MPT AWD has become as good for actual off-roading as the VDT AWD has been).

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
I noticed in the e-brochure - page 4/Interior - that rear seat heaters are available - probably just on Limited and included with rear air vents - but these aren't mentioned in the list at the end of the brochure which shows standard and optional features. Maybe an oversight or maybe meant for other markets like Japan.
Totally useless in the southwest: make no difference at all. The Tribeca's overhead vents, by contrast, do a great job.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
1,148 Posts
Hard to say without a first-hand look, but I think I'm glad we
got the current generation Legacy rather than the 2015 model.

My biggest reservation with the new design is (in the words of
Dominick Infante, SOA's Product Communications Manager):

"...bigger dose of styling ... sportier ... smaller greenhouse
and more coupe-like structure ..."

Lots of glass and lots of headroom were major reasons that
I bought a 2013 Legacy -- rather than a Mazda6 or Accord.

OTOH, it looks like it'll be possible to get a Legacy Premium
with most of the upscale amenities -- while avoiding leather.

...time will tell,

Looby
The Outback is a WAGON not a coupe. WTF

If I wanted a coupe, I would by a car designed to be a coupe.

Square the back end off like the Gen3s, the German Shepard likes to have room too. Please for the love of god offer heated CLOTH seats.
Who ever thinks that Leather is a luxury item, needs to live in Maine for the winter and Miami for the summer with out a garage.

Don't get me started on the useless nav.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited
42 Posts
The Outback is a WAGON not a coupe. WTF

If I wanted a coupe, I would by a car designed to be a coupe.

Square the back end off like the Gen3s, the German Shepard likes to have room too. Please for the love of god offer heated CLOTH seats.
Who ever thinks that Leather is a luxury item, needs to live in Maine for the winter and Miami for the summer with out a garage.

Don't get me started on the useless nav.
The current OB was well as the 15 Legacy (and therefore the OB almost certainly will too)have heated cloth seats.

As for the comments about the greenhouse/coupe influence, Im not seeing this at all on the spy photos.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT, 2015 3.6R Ltd (sold)
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Exactly. I'm not seeing it either. That's probably because Infante's references to "coupe-like" greenhouse design were to the Legacy, not the Outback.

The overall Legacy design themes were previewed by the Legacy Concept at LA in November. The car's profile was "teased" on January 30, about a week before its official debut at Chicago on Feb. 6. This is how Subaru typically does new model introductions.

For the Outback, its overall design themes were previewed by the Viziv 2 Concept at Geneva. The car will probably be "teased" a week or so before its official debut at New York. That introduction will probably happen on either April 16 or April 17.

Until then, it's a little bit too early for us to already be hating on it and saying how glad we all are that we bought our earlier models.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
As for the comments about the greenhouse/coupe influence,
Im not seeing this at all on the spy photos.
Those comments from SOA's Product Communications Manager were
specifically directed at the 2015 Legacy. I'd be very surprised if the
Gen5 OB has been affected/infected by the same line of "thought."

The official 2015 Legacy photos released by Subaru definitely show a
smaller greenhouse and more coupe-like styling -- but it's hard to tell
whether that comes from raising the beltline or lowering the roof.

Mr. Infante's comments are found in the second video in the top pane of
the page linked above, (i.e., click on the second 'dot' below the photo).

Looby

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Production for current models are to be continued until end of May and possibly part of June. The new Outback should be presented by the first week of next month.
Can we expect to see the 15 this week?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT, 2015 3.6R Ltd (sold)
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
A teaser photo from Subaru should emerge in the next ten days assuming there's no leak of the actual car before then. The full reveal is currently scheduled for Wednesday, April 16.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Strange, with the production version going public in 2 weeks I thought somebody would have caught this car without camo. Even a new gen Honda would have been exposed by now and they are super secret

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
Teaser from Subaru

·
Registered
40 Posts
coupes have 2 doors. period. whenever i hear 'coupe' or 'coupelike' applied to a sedan (by definition, a 4-door) it makes me laugh. just an failed attempt by the marketing department to make their sedan sound 'cooler'.

as a sidenote: i wish subaru would lose the fake-wood trims. it's poorly done and really cheapens the look of the interior.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
coupes have 2 doors. period. whenever i hear 'coupe' or 'coupelike' applied to a sedan (by definition, a 4-door) it makes me laugh. just an failed attempt by the marketing department to make their sedan sound 'cooler'.

as a sidenote: i wish subaru would lose the fake-wood trims. it's poorly done and really cheapens the look of the interior.

Could not agree more; at least the 2013-4 version is more understated, less offensive than the earlier ones. I learned to live with it.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,344 Posts
Does anyone know if the head gaskets issues were or are fixed on the 2.5i engines in the 2015 models?
We haven't seen a "gasket issue" in the late model EJ's or the new FB's.

If you don't know what that means you have a lot of reading to do.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts