Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my oil change done at 3700 miles in May. My car has 5500 miles on it today. It's a pretty low usage vehicle cause my wife doesn't go anywhere in it except for groceries. The dealership that I had my first service done at was contacting me and after talking to a service rep they told me I was good till 7500ish miles. After that another rep was emailing me about scheduling a service and I told them I wasn't going to bring in the car when it still has fresh oil in it for an oil change. The rep said it's every 6 months or 6000 miles. I feel like this changing my oil every 6 months when I'm only putting 3k miles on the car is a little extra. So they reported the car missed a service to carfax. Is this BS? I feel like the dealership is strong arming me or something.
UPDATE:
Emailed the dealership asking to speak to the manager about service intervals and the issue regarding carfax. He personally called me and his words were there's some grey areas. Basically carfax reports on there own but he told me that if someone checked the carfax it's not going to show every single maintenance or missed maintenance and that information is for the owner. Also that there are blurred lines with the service intervals. There policy is 6k miles or twice a year. I told him I'd be taking oil changes into my own hands and he said that there would be no warranty issues so long as I keep a service list and receipts of my own on the car proving that the work had been done. Which is understandable. Same thing happened to my Mitsubishi I needed a new trans and it was covered under warranty once showing them my own service history that I performed. But the carfax thing still intrigues me so I'll be doing what other users have said and filing an error if possible cause the car should have a clean carfax. F*** the dealerships. Also I mentioned that I took the vehicle in for a firmware update for the starling system 2 months ago. The service dude said they don't do that and they took the car into the shop brought it out 10 min later and was like we've "reset it" it should work faster now. Yea they erased my service info basically they just took the negative off the battery and put it back on. When I know users on here said there was a firm ware update. The manager assured me that he would check it out if I brought the car back in sometime. Also he told me that starlink has been doing small updates over the air. So hmm I'll have to dig up more info on that. But it seems possible that could be the case. Anyways thanks for everyone's input. Hate dealerships. There not all scumbags but business is business sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,677 Posts
That's hogwash and I'll tell you why.

When the dealer has a car sitting on the lot for say, 3 months, before it's sold, do they tell the buyer they need to bring in the car for a first oil change in 90 days? No, they don't.

The car isn't driven and I've never heard of a dealer taking proactive steps to say a recommended service was purposefully skipped.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

When the dealer has a car sitting on the lot for say, 3 months, before it's sold, do they tell the buyer they need to bring in the car for a first oil change in 90 days? No, they don't.

The car isn't driven and I've never heard of a dealer taking proactive steps to say a recommended service was purposefully skipped.
That's a valid point. I'm not sure what to do. I'm going to call the service manager today and get more info. I just feel like there's some scumbaggery going on to get my money.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,677 Posts
That's a valid point. I'm not sure what to do. I'm going to call the service manager today and get more info. I just feel like there's some scumbaggery going on to get my money.
That was my first, second and third reaction.

But don't you have access to your Carfax account? I don't know if you can make your own comments or entries to establish a record.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my first, second and third reaction.

But don't you have access to your Carfax account? I don't know if you can make your own comments or entries to establish a record.
I'll check that out too. Carfax did send me an email and that's how I found out.

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
618 Posts
Do you have the carfax or did they tell you they reported it? I can't imagine carfax even has a way for oil changes to be reported or even less for them to be unreported.

Sent from my V35-ThinQ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have the carfax or did they tell you they reported it? I can't imagine carfax even has a way for oil changes to be reported or even less for them to be unreported.

I received an email from carfax and it says missed service reported. Edit: it says it was reported by the dealership as well.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5I Limited Tungsten with Ivory leather
92 Posts
Make sure they reported your last oil change, and reported it at the correct mileage. Cuz in my experience carfax bases those emails about service on when your last service was done.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,123 Posts

Yes they do, I use the MyCarFax app to report all services I have completed as well as check on services performed elsewhere to see if that entity has reported anything themselves. Almost all dealerships and other service centers I have taken my vehicles to in recent years report services completed to Carfax.

Well technically the dealership situation is different, the clock doesn't start on the warranty until a vehicle gets processed for titling and I am sure that the same applies for scheduled maintenance.

In my experience many dealerships and Carfax will communicate with you that services "should" be completed as a default practice, should they have your contact information and an awareness of your service record.

I chalk up what the OP has described as being nagged for business. Carfax has formed a business model whereby they can form a reciprocal relationship with a dealership that pays them to encourage customers to do business with said dealership.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,335 Posts
That's a PITA.
But if it can't be changed, deleted, annotated; at least it can be explained.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,155 Posts
I think all of my oil changes based on time rather than miles and I my last oil only had 2418 miles on it when it was changed. I opt to follow the maintenance schedule to make sure they can't use that to deny any potential warranty claims. But with that being said if they ever reported a missed service to Carfax that would be the last dollar of mine they ever saw. At that point I would tell them I changed the oil myself and suggest to them that they only reported it because they were butt-hurt over losing a sale.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy Wagon 2.5i
33 Posts
What does your maintenance schedule say? Check the maintenance schedule in your manual or the separate booklet. Mine says the oil should be changed every 7500 miles or 7.5 months unless in driven in extremely cold, dusty roads or short trips. In which case it's half of that. However, the first oil change is supposed to be at three months or 3000 miles and the second is at 7.5 months or 7500 miles (4500 miles after first oil change). So if yours is the same as mine it looks like you missed a service if it's been more than 4.5 months since your first oil change. But unless my fingers are wrong, you have at least another two weeks to get the oil changed unless your first change was late and they are counting the 7.5 months when you bought the car rather than 4.5 months from your first change.

·
Registered
2019 OUTBACK 2.5 TOURING
102 Posts
Carfax has a program they sell to dealers and or service shops that tracks services done on vehicles. Carfax uses their reputation in what is basically an advertising program for the service facility. I think you will find that if someone runs a standard Carfax inquiry on your vehicle at a later date, it will not report missing a service appointment with the dealer the same as an accident with the car.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Got my oil change done at 3700 miles in May. My car has 5500 miles on it today. It's a pretty low usage vehicle cause my wife doesn't go anywhere in it except for groceries. The dealership that I had my first service done at was contacting me and after talking to a service rep they told me I was good till 7500ish miles. After that another rep was emailing me about scheduling a service and I told them I wasn't going to bring in the car when it still has fresh oil in it for an oil change. The rep said it's every 6 months or 6000 miles. I feel like this changing my oil every 6 months when I'm only putting 3k miles on the car is a little extra. So they reported the car missed a service to carfax. Is this BS? I feel like the dealership is strong arming me or something.
Google it, plenty of article that go over what happens to oil in cars that aren't driven much or a lot of short trips. If I'm not hitting the mileage in a year, then yes I'd change it twice a year.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy Wagon 2.5i
33 Posts
Google it, plenty of article that go over what happens to oil in cars that aren't driven much or a lot of short trips. If I'm not hitting the mileage in a year, then yes I'd change it twice a year.
I drive 6000 miles a year and change it every 6 months. That said, he's only done 1800 miles in 4 months. My service book says 4.5 months between first and second oil changes. He should change the oil, but it doesn't look like he's violated the time requirement yet even considering short trips. It looks like the dealer was a little too quick to report a missed service.

·
Registered
2019 OUTBACK 2.5 TOURING
102 Posts
So this is how the dealers are going to start making their money back on Carfax, by conspiring with them and blackmailing people into dealer services.
I really don't like Carfax but in all fairness it is not "blackmail" to sell a service reminder service to dealers.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Well then.... I do all of my own oil & filter changes on all all of my vehicle and have not ever gotten a notice from CarFAX that I missed a “scheduled service” The OP’s dealer is mining for gold and using a scare tactic. When has anyone ever been denied warranty for not having “scheduled service” performed at the dealer? Neglect of keeping adequate oil level in the engine that led to engine damage would. Some makes recommend 10k mile oil change intervals using synthetic oil. It’s doubtful subaru engines are more sensitive to extended intervals. I wouldn’t go to 10k but have no problem using mileage versus calendar intervals..... the engine is still getting lubrication - even when going over the recommended calendar interval.... JMO

1 - 20 of 84 Posts