Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would most assuredly consider it blackmail. If you don’t service your car at the dealer on their schedule then they report it to carfax and potentially lower the value of your vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 OUTBACK 2.5 TOURING
102 Posts
I would most assuredly consider it blackmail. If you don’t service your car at the dealer on their schedule then they report it to carfax and potentially lower the value of your vehicle.
At no time has anyone confirmed that this information would appear on the standard inquiry to Carfax available to the general public.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,614 Posts
This is why they are called stealership. They will lie like a cheap carpet in order to get you in for a service. It’s their bread and butter. With both our subies I have never had the full service schedule done there. It’s four hours away and if I’m not planning on being there at service time I do it myself or get the local garage to do it. If I were you I’d tell them to bugger off.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well then.... I do all of my own oil & filter changes on all all of my vehicle and have not ever gotten a notice from CarFAX that I missed a “scheduled service” The OP’s dealer is mining for gold and using a scare tactic. When has anyone ever been denied warranty for not having “scheduled service” performed at the dealer? Neglect of keeping adequate oil level in the engine that led to engine damage would. Some makes recommend 10k mile oil change intervals using synthetic oil. It’s doubtful subaru engines are more sensitive to extended intervals. I wouldn’t go to 10k but have no problem using mileage versus calendar intervals..... the engine is still getting lubrication - even when going over the recommended calendar interval.... JMO
That's the issues isn't. Is your opinion based on any actual scientific fact, or just a gut feeling?

·
Registered
375 Posts
And all you have to do is provide receipts that you did the service- this isn't rocket science people.

·
Registered
987 Posts
That's the issues isn't. Is your opinion based on any actual scientific fact, or just a gut feeling?
show me the “science“ and post up where you can present the fact that an owner was denied warranty because of their using a calendar Versus mileage OCI.

·
Registered
987 Posts
show me the “science“ whereby an owner was denied warranty because of using a mileage vs calendar OCI.....OR,....there is a definitively proven adverse affect on an engine using a mileage only OCI. Toyota uses a 10k mileage OCI and no mention of Calendar OCI requirements using synthetic oil. Are you stating Subaru engines are more sensitive and prone to failure under a mileage vs calendar OCI?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback H6.30 35 anniversary edition
189 Posts
""""
Mobil 1 Extended Performance synthetic oil is recommended for oil change intervals up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever occurs first.
"""
I had a little talk with my Subie and we arrived at 10K to mutual satisfaction. We both seem happy. That's all the science. This is 5-30 oil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
At no time has anyone confirmed that this information would appear on the standard inquiry to Carfax available to the general public.

That isn't really the point. A threat does not have have to be demonstrably true or even acted upon to be effective on the majority of people. Much in the same way a waiver is completely worthless in a court of law due to negligence but most people don't know that either. A threat, which this amounts to, is a threat regardless of whether it's followed through with. In this case they are reporting something that is potentially harmful to your warranty claims or to your resale value, or at least this consumer believes it will be. This is why diminished value claims exist on insurance companies once damage is reported to CarFax which lots of people are informed about these days. Make no mistake about it, these are businesses and as such they are tasked with finding creative ways to make money. Leveraging data and their positions allows them to effectively blackmail customers into service departments where their margins are higher than on front end vehicle sales. It's pretty brilliant actually, awful but brilliant, and they get to hide it under the shield of transparency.

·
Registered
375 Posts
show me the “science“ whereby an owner was denied warranty because of using a mileage vs calendar OCI.....OR,....there is a definitively proven adverse affect on an engine using a mileage only OCI. Toyota uses a 10k mileage OCI and no mention of Calendar OCI requirements using synthetic oil. Are you stating Subaru engines are more sensitive and prone to failure under a mileage vs calendar OCI?
I'm asking you. This statement has nothing to do with warranty
"it’s doubtful subaru engines are more sensitive to extended intervals. I wouldn’t go to 10k but have no problem using mileage versus calendar intervals..... the engine is still getting lubrication - even when going over the recommended calendar interval "

You're impling you don't need to head the time interval- so I just wanted to know what facts you base that on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well then.... I do all of my own oil & filter changes on all all of my vehicle and have not ever gotten a notice from CarFAX that I missed a “scheduled service” The OP’s dealer is mining for gold and using a scare tactic. When has anyone ever been denied warranty for not having “scheduled service” performed at the dealer? Neglect of keeping adequate oil level in the engine that led to engine damage would. Some makes recommend 10k mile oil change intervals using synthetic oil. It’s doubtful subaru engines are more sensitive to extended intervals. I wouldn’t go to 10k but have no problem using mileage versus calendar intervals..... the engine is still getting lubrication - even when going over the recommended calendar interval.... JMO
Your totally right and I did feel as if this was a scare tactic. Pissed me the f off too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Your totally right and I did feel as if this was a scare tactic. Pissed me the f off too.
Me thinks that a follow up call must proceed along the lines of that famous phone convo with "Flaming Dragons" by Les Grossman so masterfully played by Tom Cruise in "Tropic Thunder".

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
267 Posts
Good thing Carfax does not maintain oil change service records on rental cars ! So many of those miss services by thousands of miles. That is one qualification of a rental being sold at a Hertz/Avis/Budget named sales lot. Proper maintenance being done on time. Others that miss, go to auction.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
show me the “science“ and post up where you can present the fact that an owner was denied warranty because of their using a calendar Versus mileage OCI.
My son has been a service advisor for some time. He sees warranty claims denied all the time because the owner cannot provide proof of maintenance.

Based on in service date and current mileage it is not hard to back into how many oil changes should have been performed in that time frame. You have a failed engine and cannot provide proof for that number of oil changes, your warranty claim has a good chance of being denied.

Science has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
IF/when a there's an engine failure associated with a internal component, it'll be very obvious with evidence of improper lubrication - either from low oil or overfill conditions. it'd take continuous neglect to get to that point. A onetime overfill would be obvious....no science needed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My son has been a service advisor for some time. He sees warranty claims denied all the time because the owner cannot provide proof of maintenance.

Based on in service date and current mileage it is not hard to back into how many oil changes should have been performed in that time frame. You have a failed engine and cannot provide proof for that number of oil changes, your warranty claim has a good chance of being denied.

Science has nothing to do with it.
IOW , while car is on warranty you better do all required maintenance by licensed professional and keep all your paperwork. Just an overhead that comes with warranty. Maintenance schedule is in user's manual.

The question was - is ther any science that say 10K is good interval. I personally think I don't think there is unless you send your oil for analysis and find the point of deterioration.
(And you'd be surprised to find it at 15K or higher).

Note I am not talking about oil consumption. That is , it is assumed that a careful owner does check their oil dipstick and adds oil as needed.

I am sticking to 10K , full synthetic, check and top off as necessary oil policy. But I don't buy new cars ;).

Insurance is a lottery of sorts and I don't play lottery. I find it outrageous that minimum liability insurance is compulsory. But that is just the way it is and another topic.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Insurance is a lottery of sorts and I don't play lottery. I find it outrageous that minimum liability insurance is compulsory. But that is just the way it is and another topic.
It's a fool's errand not to have ample liability insurance to protect one's assets. I think it is outrageous that most jurisdictions require such puny limits.

Reactions: kitolmc and Nhcycle

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's a fool's errand not to have ample liability insurance to protect one's assets. I think it is outrageous that most jurisdictions require such puny limits.
I am for freedom of choice always. Whether it is foolish or not. Because
"Well, you know, it is just like your opinion, man".

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,489 Posts
I am for freedom of choice always. Whether it is foolish or not. Because
"Well, you know, I is.just like you opinion, man".
Do you really think you or anyone else should have the freedom to ruin other people's property (and possibly lives) through negligence without any cost to themselves? Wow!

Whatever happened to "with freedom comes responsibility"?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Do you really think you or anyone else should have the freedom to ruin other people's property (and possibly lives) through negligence without any cost to themselves? Wow!

Whatever happened to "with freedom comes responsibility"?
Where did I say "no responsibility". If you ruined somebody's property you pay. If you cannot pay, you go to jail.

And it goes both ways. If you have property you dropped money on and you want to feel safer - go ahead insure it against uninsured motorist. It just has to be your choice and not a mandate.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts