Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
NH has no compulsory insurance And because insurance companies have to compete, rates are much lower than neighboring states.... however, if you have not insurance, you are supposed to be able to post a $50k bond..... like that never happens. Also, get into an accident, you are considered at fault no matter the circumstances..... all policies issued in NH have uninsured/underinsured coverage. instead of righting off a loss to an uninsured driver, insurance companies are going after those uninsured drivers assets..... no assets? any judgement is good for 20-years and they will stalk anyone for 201years to recover whatever they can. In terms of putting someone in jail for nonpayment of damages, debtors prison was abolished a couple of centuries ago.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback H6.30 35 anniversary edition
189 Posts
NH has no compulsory insurance And because insurance companies have to compete, rates are much lower than neighboring states.... however, if you have not insurance, you are supposed to be able to post a $50k bond..... like that never happens. Also, get into an accident, you are considered at fault no matter the circumstances..... all policies issued in NH have uninsured/underinsured coverage. instead of righting off a loss to an uninsured driver, insurance companies are going after those uninsured drivers assets..... no assets? any judgement is good for 20-years and they will stalk anyone for 201years to recover whatever they can. In terms of putting someone in jail for nonpayment of damages, debtors prison was abolished a couple of centuries ago.
"Live Free or Die"! NH is an island of sanity.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
681 Posts
My son has been a service advisor for some time. He sees warranty claims denied all the time because the owner cannot provide proof of maintenance.

Based on in service date and current mileage it is not hard to back into how many oil changes should have been performed in that time frame. You have a failed engine and cannot provide proof for that number of oil changes, your warranty claim has a good chance of being denied.

Science has nothing to do with it.
A missed engine oil change can not be used for denial of a transmission, electronics, water pump or other unrelated warranty fixes.

One of many from a search engine that had required oil changes

·
Registered
18 Posts
I prepaid my first 36 months of service. I was told by the dealership if I didn't do service at 6 month intervals, I would lose my warranty. I own a new OB OYNX purchased in December 2019, 2020 year.
Being quarantined I only had about 500 miles on the car. I brought it in for service. All they did was change the oil,set the time on the clock and added air to tires. Still on my second tank of gas. It seems the 6 month service interval doesn't fit my new lifestyle.
I was told by paying up front for service would be less costly vs. pay by the drink.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got my oil change done at 3700 miles in May. My car has 5500 miles on it today. It's a pretty low usage vehicle cause my wife doesn't go anywhere in it except for groceries. The dealership that I had my first service done at was contacting me and after talking to a service rep they told me I was good till 7500ish miles. After that another rep was emailing me about scheduling a service and I told them I wasn't going to bring in the car when it still has fresh oil in it for an oil change. The rep said it's every 6 months or 6000 miles. I feel like this changing my oil every 6 months when I'm only putting 3k miles on the car is a little extra. So they reported the car missed a service to carfax. Is this BS? I feel like the dealership is strong arming me or something.
UPDATE:
Emailed the dealership asking to speak to the manager about service intervals and the issue regarding carfax. He personally called me and his words were there's some grey areas. Basically carfax reports on there own but he told me that if someone checked the carfax it's not going to show every single maintenance or missed maintenance and that information is for the owner. Also that there are blurred lines with the service intervals. There policy is 6k miles or twice a year. I told him I'd be taking oil changes into my own hands and he said that there would be no warranty issues so long as I keep a service list and receipts of my own on the car proving that the work had been done. Which is understandable. Same thing happened to my Mitsubishi I needed a new trans and it was covered under warranty once showing them my own service history that I performed. But the carfax thing still intrigues me so I'll be doing what other users have said and filing an error if possible cause the car should have a clean carfax. F*** the dealerships. Also I mentioned that I took the vehicle in for a firmware update for the starling system 2 months ago. The service dude said they don't do that and they took the car into the shop brought it out 10 min later and was like we've "reset it" it should work faster now. Yea they erased my service info basically they just took the negative off the battery and put it back on. When I know users on here said there was a firm ware update. The manager assured me that he would check it out if I brought the car back in sometime. Also he told me that starlink has been doing small updates over the air. So hmm I'll have to dig up more info on that. But it seems possible that could be the case. Anyways thanks for everyone's input. Hate dealerships. There not all scumbags but business is business sometimes.
please identify the dealership so we know to steer clear

thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
Got my oil change done at 3700 miles in May. My car has 5500 miles on it today. It's a pretty low usage vehicle cause my wife doesn't go anywhere in it except for groceries. The dealership that I had my first service done at was contacting me and after talking to a service rep they told me I was good till 7500ish miles. After that another rep was emailing me about scheduling a service and I told them I wasn't going to bring in the car when it still has fresh oil in it for an oil change. The rep said it's every 6 months or 6000 miles. I feel like this changing my oil every 6 months when I'm only putting 3k miles on the car is a little extra. So they reported the car missed a service to carfax. Is this BS? I feel like the dealership is strong arming me or something.
UPDATE:
Emailed the dealership asking to speak to the manager about service intervals and the issue regarding carfax. He personally called me and his words were there's some grey areas. Basically carfax reports on there own but he told me that if someone checked the carfax it's not going to show every single maintenance or missed maintenance and that information is for the owner. Also that there are blurred lines with the service intervals. There policy is 6k miles or twice a year. I told him I'd be taking oil changes into my own hands and he said that there would be no warranty issues so long as I keep a service list and receipts of my own on the car proving that the work had been done. Which is understandable. Same thing happened to my Mitsubishi I needed a new trans and it was covered under warranty once showing them my own service history that I performed. But the carfax thing still intrigues me so I'll be doing what other users have said and filing an error if possible cause the car should have a clean carfax. F*** the dealerships. Also I mentioned that I took the vehicle in for a firmware update for the starling system 2 months ago. The service dude said they don't do that and they took the car into the shop brought it out 10 min later and was like we've "reset it" it should work faster now. Yea they erased my service info basically they just took the negative off the battery and put it back on. When I know users on here said there was a firm ware update. The manager assured me that he would check it out if I brought the car back in sometime. Also he told me that starlink has been doing small updates over the air. So hmm I'll have to dig up more info on that. But it seems possible that could be the case. Anyways thanks for everyone's input. Hate dealerships. There not all scumbags but business is business sometimes.
Subaru considers mostly short trip usage as severe driving conditions. I had my first oil change after 6 months....1500 miles...free of course....

·
Registered
375 Posts
Where did I say "no responsibility". If you ruined somebody's property you pay. If you cannot pay, you go to jail.

And it goes both ways. If you have property you dropped money on and you want to feel safer - go ahead insure it against uninsured motorist. It just has to be your choice and not a mandate.
How does putting them in jail make the person they screwed whole?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback H6.30 35 anniversary edition
189 Posts
How does putting them in jail make the person they screwed whole?
This is how justice system works, does it not ? It is not about victim it is about lesson so it does not happen again because of fear of punishment. Deterrent. If somebody is wacked or dismembered no amount of punishment of perpetrator fixes it for the victim.

For this particular example you can get insurance. You should be able to buy uninsured motorist insurance and breathe easier. I am against mandated insurance. Just like with any other property. You buy expensive stuff you are free to insure it against damage or theft. But nobody forces you to do it .

Nothing makes a car any more special.

·
Registered
1993 Loyalle/Manual, 2004 Outback 2.5/Manual, 2009 Outback Limited 2.5/Auto, 2015 Outback Limited 2.5
48 Posts
My parents 2020 Legacy was at 384 miles at 6 months. I told Dad to change the oil. Subaru’s schedule is very clear. This post not only sours the dealer, but also Carfax, by being complicit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I prepaid my first 36 months of service. I was told by the dealership if I didn't do service at 6 month intervals, I would lose my warranty. I own a new OB OYNX purchased in December 2019, 2020 year.
Being quarantined I only had about 500 miles on the car. I brought it in for service. All they did was change the oil,set the time on the clock and added air to tires. Still on my second tank of gas. It seems the 6 month service interval doesn't fit my new lifestyle.
I was told by paying up front for service would be less costly vs. pay by the drink.
General question about fluid change. My service manager “ suggested “ that I change front and rear differential and transmission fluid at 40 k. Is that normal for a Subaru Outback.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
General question about fluid change. My service manager “ suggested “ that I change front and rear differential and transmission fluid at 40 k. Is that normal for a Subaru Outback.
The normal maintenance schedule has "inspect" but not "replace" but this guy recommends it at 30k based on looking at fluids and the magnetic drain plugs.

Top right is new fluid, top left is front diff, bottom left is rear diff.

Most people never change it and they do perfectly fine though. I'm more worried about the main CVT fluid than the differential fluids and even then I wouldn't change it before 50k

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
By the way everyone. I love my Subaru. I tell all my friends to buy Outbacks. I wasn't trying to spark arguments on oil changes. It's one of those things that opinions vary. I just thought reporting my decision to not get the oil changed right at month 6 was a little shady. I'm new to dealing with dealerships and new cars. It's my family's first newnew car.. I like used cars lol. But after everything is said and done.. I paid good money for a good warranty. If something fails I don't want Subaru to have a reason not to honor my warranty. So I'll make sure the oil is changes every 6 months. However. I'll be doing it my damned self because I'm a mechanic lmao. But I'll be waiting to see how Subaru fights with me about not getting it done from them when I show up with a spreadsheet and receipts on my work if a warranty fix comes up. When my transmission failed in my 2012 Mitsubishi ralliart, Mitsubishi was like there's no service records?? I said cause I do all the maintenance myself. I'm a mechanic. I was also in my army uniform but I don't know. Either way they didn't ask me to prove ****. Warranty paid for the new trans. The work. The rental car. So that's my experience with warranty so far.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx Edition XT
178 Posts
That's hogwash and I'll tell you why.

When the dealer has a car sitting on the lot for say, 3 months, before it's sold, do they tell the buyer they need to bring in the car for a first oil change in 90 days? No, they don't.

The car isn't driven and I've never heard of a dealer taking proactive steps to say a recommended service was purposefully skipped.
My dealer told me that they change the oil of every vehicle just before delivery; my car was a special order, even though there was no reason, they said, they changed the oil. I updated my car with the details of my oil change. I wonder if my dealer can see that.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts