Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a 2 year absence from these pages, I am happy to mention that my 2 of boys 23 and 30 yrs are both happy owners of Subaru Forester.
I have decided to relocate to Greece to spend my golden years living stress free and "cheap" in that country. The successfull completion of the 2 year EU mandated austerity plant along with fresh and young prime minister, signals a positive future.
However, volatile EU members, many seeking to leave Eurozone and awaiting Brexit fallout, will flare up with similar desires (like Italy nowadays).
In retrospect, EU formation few years back (to compete with the U.S.) is turning out to be obsolete with new players in the world economies (like China and Russia). Countries, that wisely did not chose to adpot € as their currencies, will prevail.
One of my boys just took delivery of Tesla 3. Although it's a nice car for Millenium generation, I would not want to own it.
The dash TV/display control screen (that controls everything along with iPhone) is a major distraction, IMO. You spend more time looking at the screen rather than looking at the road. What's the point of prohibiting texting or cell phone usage, while driving (in many States) when driving this vehicle requires full time engagement, pushing, tapping, scrolling and other interaction with this Elon Musk's marvel piece of engineering?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
you looking for a island or on the mainland?

they got subarus in Greece,

maybe a nice Crosstrek with a lift kit, or a Forester with a pad on the seat.
(small streets/ gravel roads,...and you be the Uber/ Lyft driver that speaks ALL languages for happy tourists).

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crete - Chania or Heraklion. Leaving July this year and will naturally be looking to buy an used Crosstrek or such. My companion is Greek, so I will blend into local population rather quickly. I don't want to be a "tourist" there... lol!
Uber/Lyft, taxi or car rentals at decent price are almost impossible to get during holiday season months. Buying an used car is a must!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,212 Posts
I think I have posted this somewhere earlier, but:

My first car: Simca Aronde (in the 60s, living and growing up in Europe).

My first car in the U.S. (1968): Chevy Corvair - what a beauty, in spite of Ralph Nader...lol

My favorite car: Citroen SM with Maserati V8. I should have kept that one!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroën_SM

My cars that I bought more than once: Chevy Suburban and Subaru (various models).

My current car: 2011 Honda CR-V

My future (and last car) after moving to Greece later this year: Dunno yet... leaning to Skoda though.
picking this up from another thread,

thought you had a newish leased Hyundai, as part of your son's work for them. ?

(and a citroen sm,...= that is one expensive ride).

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
picking this up from another thread,

thought you had a newish leased Hyundai, as part of your son's work for them. ?

(and a citroen sm,...= that is one expensive ride).
Dumped Hyundai in 3 months after getting it. I managed to break the lease and returned it to Hyundai dealer at no cost to me. A personal achievement in that respect! It was a fine car but since my son now works for a Silicon Valley: AERIS - He is now an I.O.T man (Internet of Things) designing connective devices for various car manufacturers. I had to switch! Couldn't afford Subaru so I ended up with Honda CR-V 4WD. Quite interesting Honda 4WD/AWD drive - i.e. 4WD/AWD on demand!
He (my son) just got his Tesla 3 (2 years delivery delay) - drove it recently, what a disaster! With all due respect to Elon Musk, that car is not for me! Too much distraction with the center dash mounted "TV" screen that controls everything. You spend more time watching that screen instead of watching the road!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Citroen SM is/was a marvel of engineering! Andre Citroen was a genius - at the end of his life he was pronounced as a mentally sick person (to some folks, not to me though)! Peugeot acquired that company but I was too late to cash out my Citroen shares and missed on making some serious money...LOL

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
The Tesla Model 3 may be “up to date” and the design of our Outbacks may not be, but newer isn’t always better.

Perhaps the Tesla has a very solid head unit for reliability.

However, as much as having everything on a touchscreen may be “up to date” from looking at pictures of them, I have to think: wait, what happens when the sunlight comes streaming in??? I think all the gauges, etc. are all displayed in that large touchscreen. Not even getting to the point of controlling various things: how sistracting is it to look at everything with it being a risk that sunlight is shining off of it?

Next, the severe distraction of manipulating it: there’s no way to do it via feel, unless perhaps you grab an outside edge and rely on muscle memory for how far you are from the edge. If you have to do that, perhaps that can “work” once you get used to it, but what about until you do?

I’m glad that there aren”t any critical functions in the Outback that require the touchscreen: it’d be far less usable than it is now. I’ve read enough car reviews to know there are many that require touchscreend for things like enviormental controls at a minimum: that’s insanity.

Reactions: jogosub

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TheBlueSubaru:

To negotiate the head unit, one has to read a thick handbook/download it or spend a year or so getting familiar with all functions. Most of those functions one can also access using your iPhone. But I guess that applies to just about any current vehicle with integrated head units.

As mentioned elsewhere on this forum, the distraction is enormous, borderline unsafe, IMO. One thing that occured to me, while driving it, is safety. I am sure there are quite a few airbags in the front dash, but I haven't seen an airbag integrated in the thin TV like head unit. Imagine having a frontal impact and you or rear passengers fly into the head unit screen...case and point, when I saw the pictures of that deadly Tesla crash in Northern Calif., the front car and cabin basically disintegrated.

When the light/sun hits the screen you can't see shh##strawberies! I was asked by my son to do the first "mod" on his new Tesla...put a non-glare film on it. I have mentioned the brand of film that I use elsewhere on this forum...LOL

Wait - there is more:
Rear recharging port (right left tail light) isn't flush with the rear fender. I looked at the other Teslas in the delivery showroom - same thing. Ill designed, IMO. Have to figure out, how to mod that.

And more:
When one wants to enter this car and touches the door handle, window rolls down about 3 inches. Why? Because the roof is curved and if the window would not roll down, the window would hit the roofline curvature. Doors are frameless. Hmmm... back to the drawing table, IMO.

There are so many other overkills and ill-designed little petty things, like center console awkward iPhone recharging ports, etc.etc.

But, millennials blindly love this car regardless if things make sense or not. I must be getting old...

Most disturbing issue (in my opinion) is that if you get your car insurance with the same carrier that you may have for your other family car(s), your insurance companies may not allow you to use Tesla designated body shop. Only a handful specific Tesla body shops can actually work on these cars. So, be aware and check your insurance carrier if your policy allows you to use any body shop of your choice!

One positive thing: If something goes wrong with your Tesla, you don't take it to the "dealer". You make an appointment with Tesla service and they come to your house to fix it with fully equipped mobile vans.

Just my personal observations...I wouldn't want that car even if someone would give it to me for free....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well, a Tesla is nowhere in my near-term future, regardless of how my Outback works out: it’s all electric, and I live in an apartment, with no way to charge at homebase.

Sure, in theory, I could get it charged elsewhere, but I can’t justify trying to do such insanity with my logistics/scheduling. Fossil juice, considered obsolete or not, it’s readily managed for the logistics, and at highway speeds I have ove 500 miles range, and no Tesla does that now.

I live in the Pacific NW and I’d like to keep my travel options open in the US west (I have family in Utah as well) without being overly forced to consider where chargers are at.

In the future, I’d expect I’ll eventually get an electric car: sooner or later Subaru will sell one in the US, right??? Though in the near-term, if you want the best balance for power/fuel efficiency, a hybrid gives you the most flexibility, at added complexity and expense. I’d note, however, that Toyota has made their Prius very low-maintenance, if dog-slow: there’s a reason I got the 3.6R ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Jogosub:

The fact that your son found a need to mod the car for something that doesn’t in the least improve the efficiency/speed/handling of the car, but merely to keep from getting blinded from the instrument cluster (welll, the Tesla model 3 equivalent...) (and perhaps so it can be read at all!) shows a bad design that was rushed out without proper testing. This isn’t even something that should have required much thinking or testing time to figure out it’s a Very Bad Idea: I’ve had iPads since 2010 so they’ve had pre-existing operable hardware to prototype with in the wild. If you put a tablet in the direct sun, even the best ones, it’s just not a great thing!

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,701 Posts
Send lots of dolmas to your efriends so we know you're really there.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Send lots of dolmas to your efriends so we know you're really there.
Leaving L.A. in rear view mirror on July 3rd...LOL
I prefer grappa though...hate ouzo! Never ate dolmas - at least not yet...LOL

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,701 Posts
Many great places in LA for dolmas aka dolmades aka stuffed grape leaves.

Sambuco is good although I've never tried Ouza but I do like that anise flavor. I might have to check that out at BevMo.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,212 Posts
Many great places in LA for dolmas aka dolmades aka stuffed grape leaves.

Sambuco is good although I've never tried Ouza but I do like that anise flavor. I might have to check that out at BevMo.
there is a reason why ouzo and anisette come in little thimbles and shot glasses.

to be served after dinner with desert in a thimble glass,.

....or in a shot glass to be nursed slow.

= kick,...more then a little bit will make it so you can't walk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts