Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm very happy with my 2017 Outback. My local dealer is very eager for me to trade up to the 6th gen and give me a good deal in the process. I don't think it makes much sense financially but thought I'd throw it out here to see if you have any thoughts. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,419 Posts
by 2017, a lot of CVT bugs have been worked out so, I think the one you have is a good one.

Does 2021 have some feature you need/want? If not, best way to get your 'value' out of a car is to drive it until the wheels fall off.

that said, Subaru dealerships 'in general' are often short on decent, new-ish used Subarus so they sometimes can offer a little more than other dealerships might. But if I like my car, I'd just keep it. There will ALWAYS be newer cars lol.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium
72 Posts
There is one Silicon Valley VC who drives a Mercedes Benz S65 AMG. He only owns his cars for half a year and then replaces them with newer ones. He says the newer, the safer, based on a theory of mechanical components aging.
He also avoids any maintenance, etc.

So that's one way to look at it.

In your case, unless you must have the newer model, it's a simple arithmetic: TCO + resale value.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments. It's basically a lower monthly payment, $60 less, but of course extending out the debt for an additional three years or so. The reduction of monthly payment is new and indicates how much they are looking for used models. It's a premium to premium upgrade. I think if they wanted to upgrade me to a 22 Limited for same $ then I might consider it. I just am very happy with my 17.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Please make sure to test drive one the new one before singing up. I really disliked 2021 I test drove - huge tablet in the middle of the dash, too many nannies beeping at you all the time, Subaru wants to be your digital friend and sign up for various apps and monitoring services. I don't know if there was a car under all that noise, but it would bug the heck out of me if I had to deal with it on a daily basis.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's basically a lower monthly payment, $60 less, but of course extending out the debt for an additional three years or so.
Basically, you don't know if it is a good deal. Monthly payment can hide a lot of details, the only prudent way to look at deals is total cost of ownership (sales price + interest and fees - residual - trade in).

For example, monthly payment could be as a result of banks increasing residual value, in that case the dealership could be stealing your old car in a booming used car market without giving you anything in return.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Premium OEM+
16 Posts
Please make sure to test drive one the new one before singing up. I really disliked 2021 I test drove - huge tablet in the middle of the dash, too many nannies beeping at you all the time, Subaru wants to be your digital friend and sign up for various apps and monitoring services. I don't know if there was a car under all that noise, but it would bug the heck out of me if I had to deal with it on a daily basis.
Couldn’t agree more. My 2018 lease was up in April, I bought it out. I love the 5th Gen with my 8in screen, knob controls, round fogs, etc. The wife has a 2020 Legacy w/ eyesight, all digital, huge tablet display. It’s bloody distracting. My thoughts were, if I can put off having to upgrade to all those do-dads, I would.. and I did, even though it’s a killer time to trade-in!! I was offered good money for mine, but that also tells me I have a great vehicle on my hands! Personally, I will enjoy my 5th until the inevitable arrives.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium
72 Posts
Some counter arguments Why to upgrade
  • Buying into the new platform can be a good thing (more structural rigidity thanks to Subaru Global Platform, which can absorb 40 percent more energy in a frontal collision than the outgoing platform)
  • Quieter ride
  • More efficient powertrain
  • Maybe with advanced diagnostics tools, some distracting nannies and beeps can be disabled (I dismantled the door buzzer from the instrument cluster on my 4th Gen to have a quiet car without distractions)
If I could upgrade to the 6th Gen and the economy behind the decision would make sense, I would, even though I'm very happy with my 2013 :love: and I think it's a great car.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
759 Posts
"I don't think it makes much sense financially "

It doesn't make ANY sense financially. Financially, you want to keep your car until just before a major repair expense occurs. That way you are maximizing the use of the car for the money you put into it.

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
380 Posts
Upgrade? Heck yes!

I went from 17 Touring (first Subu) to 20 Limited, quite an evolution. Wife hated the brown leather anyway, and I prefer black, which I got.

So happy I bit the bullet and the 11K it cost me, can't even express it. It was after having the 17 for less than 2 months.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Upgrade? Heck yes!

I went from 17 Touring (first Subu) to 20 Limited, quite an evolution. Wife hated the brown leather anyway, and I prefer black, which I got.

So happy I bit the bullet and the 11K it cost me, can't even express it. It was after having the 17 for less than 2 months.
I did spend another $11K to buy it - but.....

I also "lost" $3500 on the trade in. Paid $23,500, traded it in for $20K (or did I - Iose? or gain?)

I have a theory on "losses", formulated from guitar buying and selling.

Here's bloomz theory on guitarnomics:

If I buy a guitar for $1000, and sell it for $750 - did I lose $250?

No I gained $750 cuz once that money was gone, its gone, and the $750 is found money.

New money.

But don't bother trying to explain this to your wife, she won't "get it".

YOLO

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
oops duplicate

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,599 Posts
If I buy a guitar for $1000, and sell it for $750 - did I lose $250?
Yes.

No I gained $750 cuz once that money was gone, its gone, and the $750 is found money.
That would only be true if the guitar had cost you nothing in the first place (i.e. if the actual value of the guitar is $0).

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
That would only be true if the guitar had cost you nothing in the first place (i.e. if the actual value of the guitar was $0).
Not true - some part of that money is gone once it's spent doesn't make sense?

The $750 is New Money

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6r with CVT
104 Posts
I bought an '18 because I didn't like the 6th gen as much as the 5th. I had a '17 previously and really like the mid model refresh updates they did on the '18-'19's. The carplay is nice and some refinements on the eyesight and lane departure along with blind spot warning lights. The headlights also seem to be more clean and they also have a steering sensitive headlight thing which my '17 did not have. Overall I am very happy with my 5th gen, I may buy a 6th gen for the wife here in the next year and get the turbo and see how it is, depends on the test drive and whether the cvt and turbo are a good combo, I've seen some complaints on them not being very refined, we will see, as of now I'm very happy with my 3.6. I would personally not upgrade if you like what you have and it doesn't make financial sense.

Reactions: johnnyarma

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Tell that to the 12 guitars hanging on my wall.
And at my age, I ain't gonna keep living and living.
To wax philosophical, I believe in letting money flow, and each time it flows out, it flows right back in. I have enough years to have that proven in my life.

(Sorry for getting serious)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts