Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Outback Wagon, 2.5L Engine
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone:

I find it amazing that an AWD drive car made for winter use has heated side view mirrors as an OPTION!

Now I know on my 95 Caprice, a lot of options like cruise control and power seats, if you don't have the option, none of the wiring is in the wiring harness.

So, the question is this. On this 2002 Outback, does anyone know if you have the power side mirrors that are not heated, if they included the wiring for the heated option, or if in addition to the switch and the heated mirrors all the wiring would have to be added too? I assume the heated mirrors would have to be added, I assume it could not be as easy as adding the switch for the heated mirrors...

Thank You,

Lee

·
Registered
13 Posts
The car, in general, is NOT made for winter driving. The All Weather Package is, which includes rubber floormats, a rubber trunk mat, seatback protectors, heated front seats, heated mirrors and heated windshield wipers. The heated mirrors are completely different than regular mirrors. It is extremely unlikely that your car will have any of the electronic features above wired, but someone else will have to speak to that. There's no separate switch, either. The rear defroster, heated mirrors and heated wipers are all activated by the rear defroster switch.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
Subaru used different methods for the different heated items between models and even model years I've found (after owning 10 of them) in 2002 I know there was a separate switch for the heated wiper park element on the dash by the fog lamp switch. I think there was also a separate switch for the side mirrors in with the drivers side window control/door lock cluster. That could have been my 97 OB but I don't think so. I'm curious now and I'm going to have to look at the wiring diagram.

edit:

Well I checked the owners manual and I remembered right, there was a separate switch for the heated wiper park, rear window elements and one for the outside mirrors. I've attached a screenshot. I think it was my only scooby that had separate switches for everything. Since the heated mirrors are on the same harness as the power mirrors there may be a way to retrofit them. You'd need the switch and mirrors. It would most likely be more trouble than it's worth though.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really appreciate the responses!

I know in my Caprice, when you turn on the rear defogger it also turns on the heated side mirrors, so I know what you mean.

That is the switch i'm talking about that you pictured.

So, if it just involved changing the mirrors and plugging in the new mirrors and the new switch and another fuse in an empty fuse cavity, or something like that, I think it would be worth it. :29:

If the wires are not there and you would have to add wires, that would not be worth it for me.

I was hoping someone actually knew what is missing in there if you don't have the option in this particular make, model, year, etc..

Lee

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
I was just in my son's 2001 OB and I see the blank for the mirror switch under the mirror aiming switch. When I say change mirrors really mean not just the mirror portion but the whole mirror assembly. The part you attach to the outside. I suspect (but I'm not 100% positive) that the wiring in the harness part is there but the wiring in the outside mirror isn't. Not the part that has the wires that lead up to the mirror heating elements. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a LOT Peaty.

I should explain. About 50 pounds ago and when my back was a lot better (and some other medical nonsense too), I had a LOT more ability and energy to get down on my hands and knees and look at this stuff! I'm really good with wiring though. I've done several remote start systems and other stuff too.

Eventually I will be in the driver's door to upgrade the speaker in the door, so I will see some stuff on my own at that point. Just looking for a heads up I guess.

Let me ask this a slightly different way. Are you saying you see wires and a connector in your son's Subie that looks like that's where the heated mirror switch would plug in? And are you saying it looks like the wires might be at the wire harness connector at the mirror, but that the whole mirror assembly would need to be changed? :29:

Thank You,

Lee

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,213 Posts
I haven't looked at the mirror wiring harness inside the door on the 2002 for the mirror, but I suspect the harness connection to the mirror harness has the heating wires. I have had to door panel off upgrading the speakers but I didn't have a need to unplug the mirror and peek in at wires going to the pins. In my experience, Subaru is pretty good at having stuff ready to go although it's not always the case. If you do take the door off you can check two things, the wires to the mirror and the ones that would need to plug in to the switch too. I'm not sure if you would also need a relay and fuse somewhere too. The 02' OB is unique in that there are three separate switches for the sections of glass that get heat. Most of the time the side mirrors will work in conjunction with the front wiper park heaters or the rear window defogger, depending on the year and model. Check your PM I sent you some more info. That may help.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
You can install the heated mirrors if you swap the door wiring harness and the switch and mirror itself of course, all are integrated into the door wiring harness.

Sometimes the wiring/connectors are there, and sometime they are not. It's highly variable and hard to pinpoint all the variables....year, model, engine, legacy, outback...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a million you guys!

I hear what you're saying about the three different heated glass zones and how they are controlled separate on the 2002 Outback. Very interesting.

I really appreciate the help guys! I will check out the PM.

Now that I hear of it, I wish I had the heated park area too, but that I could live without if I had to.

A lot of the shops I talked to won't do work like this - you have to do it yourself!

Now if I can figure out why the power antenna booster stopped working, then I will be ALL set! :29:

Lee

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Now if I can figure out why the power antenna booster stopped working, then I will be ALL set! :29:

Lee
i have a thread about mine not working either - do you mean you have poor FM reception?

my 2003 H6 Outback Sedan also has very poor FM reception...basically not hardly useable. I have a thread either here or USMB, or both about it and so far not clear resolution, but I have posted FSM pic's/info of the location of the booster for sedans - behind the back drivers side pillar/trim.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,213 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I installed a new JVC head unit in September, I didn't know I needed to connect the blue power antenna wire that is in the connector for the JVC radio to the blue wire in the connector that plugs in to the Subie factory wiring harness.

So, the first time I installed the JVC unit, I had weak FM and no AM. Then I connected the two blue wires on the radio connector and the adaptive car connector, and all was well, the radio worked great.

Some time after that, a month or two, when I tried the radio it would not receive anything at all, which is different than when the booster had no power.

I'm thinking the booster went bad, it IS ten years old. But I don't want to spend $140 for a new booster to find out I am wrong that the booster just went bad.

I guess I could look for a junk yard booster to test my theory. Unless anyone else has had a similar issue and knows some answers. :gasp:

At any rate, thanks SO much for all the input on the mirrors everyone.

Lee

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First Peaty, again, thank you SO much for the download link.

I've never taken the back of the car apart yet, and I didn't know how hard it was to get to the booster.

I have read though that there was someone who had to repair the coax connections at the booster to get it to work, that may be a known issue.

Do you know how hard it is to gain access to the booster? :confused:

Thank You,

Lee

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,213 Posts
I was thinking more of the connection at the back of the radio itself. As for the booster, I've seen it when taking apart the trim in the rear but never messed with it myself. It's hidden behind the trim in the rear hatch area. I've seen it on my Forester but not in an outback. This is assuming you have the on glass antenna in the back, my son's wagon is a base version and has the mast antenna in the A-Pillar.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel stupid now. :rolleyes:

I didn't even think of checking the antenna connection at the radio. I think that's a VERY good idea. :29:

And, my antenna is in the glass. I thought they moved it in to the glass in higher years, I didn't know it was linked to trim levels. Interesting :eek: ...

Lee

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,213 Posts
Well his is an 01 OBW, that could make a difference. I think the lower units get the mast antenna though. I know our 02' VDC wagon had the in glass antenna though. When you installed the radio did you solder the connections or do the twist and wrap deal? If you didn't solder that could be an issue too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I always solder everything.

If thats what it is, i'm going to get a 1' extension cable. It's just too tight getting in there to plug in the factory antenna cable.

The symptoms seem to indicate you might have a really good point about it being unplugged. :gasp:

Lee

1 - 19 of 19 Posts