Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty...
So there are definately a list of upgrades I have in mind for my ride and I have started putting together a list of minor changes as well as some big upgrades.
I'm 24 years old and severely underpaid as an IT, so things wont get done as quickly as possible... but here we go...

Done already
-- 20% Tint all Around
-- Full Audio Build http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80-electrical-electronics/43780-2005-xt-sound-quality-build.html
-- JDM Rear Sway Bar

To do in no specific order
-- Wheels: Thinking about these right now...

-- New Suspension - I have been doing some research and I will be going slightly lower than the legacy GT ( i purchased this car thinking i was moving to vermont, but i wont be leaving SoCal )
-- On the interior I plan to paint the radio and shifter trim. I am thinking either black or carbon fiber.
-- Paint the Calipers, leaning on a baby blue color or something like this... http://image.hondatuningmagazine.co...an_rg_2_wheels_project_mu_brakes_calipers.jpg
-- JDM Double Dim Swap
-- Sti Down pipe
-- Sti Upipe
-- I would like to figure out what exhaust will get me closest to the STI sound (why i fell in love with subarus)
-- Stage 1 Tune from Infamous
-- Front Sway bar

Next couple of days I will be Plastidipping my badges, hoodscoop, grill, and bottom portion of the front bumper...

I need to finish up the "pretty" part of my audio install and get those picks posted.

I will also be adding pics to a flickr album of the car so others can maybe get some ideas or share some thoughts on how I can plan this list out.

Please guys - give me some input on the exhaust, suspension and whatever else you think i might enjoy.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,669 Posts
I love both the sound and look of my twin-tip Strommung muffler. deep, throaty - not buzzy. Not so loud as to p!ss off the neighbors, or attract cops. And twin-tip doesn't attract ricers at every light revving at me to race.

you can find sound files on line for lots of mufflers.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i found 2011 STI up,down and catback w/6k miles on them for only 500...
Up and down have the heatshields.
I can get them powder coated by a family friend for prob 10 bucks each...

You guys think this would be a good way to go?
My understanding is that i would need a stage 1 after this mod?

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Painted the scoop - i like the way it looks, but i need to do it again, the car was still warm when i did it and it gave the plastidip an uneven balance of color and texture. I am going to take it off next time.

Also painted the lower portion of the bumper near the front plate, i had my family look at it and they thought it came like that factory, i like the way it looks.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
Not sure on the fitment of the sti parts. There have been a lot of major redesigns in the last couple years.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
found out a guy i work with is a pretty well known mechanic with the locals in vegas/henderson.

Spoke to him and he said go with the sti up pipe and get an aftermarket catted down pipe.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Double post fail

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hah - so i did more research, talked to infamous and he basically said its not worth the money to upgrade the down, and intercooler on the car. At that point its stage 2 and with a downpipe and a tune im looking at a 15hp upgrade on a stock turbo from a stage 1.

Seems like i am going to end up just doing a upipe and a tune for now. looking at about 30hp upgrade.

we will see...

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
Disagree. It may be around a 15-30 hp jump over stage 1, but it's a much bigger bump in torque and the torque comes on significantly earlier with a better downpipe. It's worth it.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmmmm.

:RTFM:

·
Registered
'05 OBXT
453 Posts
It's totally worth it.

·
Registered
09 outback XT
51 Posts
you have any pics or the plastie dip on the bottom front bumper and hood scoop? Any advice on how to do it right? I was thinking about doing it to my badges and the crome front bumper part.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ill take some today with decent lighting.
Advise - Spray it on thick, but evenly.
people say to start with a light first coat, but i found that if u can do it evenly and thick, the subsequent coats look better.

·
Registered
'07 OBXT Ltd. 5EAT, Charcoal Gray; '70 Chevy K10 4X4, 396c.i., lifted; '63 Pontiac Tempest, 326c.i.
115 Posts
Let me know if you do go with a new up/down pipe and Stage 2 flash setup, especially if you keep your stock cans. I am curious to see how that sounds. I am very interested in doing this soon, but may wait a few months until I move down to SLC.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On hold.
Cracked Radiator spewing coolant this morning :(

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
I know the feeling! This just recently happened to me. Except it was a slow leak from a hairline crack until it decided to separate from the core on the highway...

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just got off the phone. so far i know very little other than.
2500-3000 worth of repairs and parts.
Radiator is toast
Power Steering pump (mis diagnosed by Infamous) toast
Main Coolant Tube
Hoses to and possibly the inter-cooler all together.

Someone in the background said something about the transmision...

Just gonna say, Whoever said extended warranties are worthless is a fool, especially when the warranty costs 1400 and its a turbocharged vehicle.

This is all going to cost me 100 bucks....
and i should have a nice rental car.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
okay so....

Radiator, power steering pump, intercooler all toast.

I have to pay 100 bucks for deductable and about 70 in hoses. (top and bottom main rad hoses, turbo inlet hoses)

other than that the mechanics said the car is freaking CLEAAAAAAAAAAAN and they are shocked anything is wrong at all.

Only problem now is that Mecury wants to look for the parts cheaper themselves.... we will see how that goes.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
The only thing that shocks me is that the power steering pump went out. That's not a common failure. That's exactly why I got the extended warranty. I wouldn't buy a used Turbo outback without one.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.