Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded my 9005 headlight bulbs to the 9011 HIR bulbs this weekend. HIR stands for Halogen Infrared, which is a type of halogen bulb that reflects the infrared energy back to the filament to increase the brightness. These bulbs were first used on the Dodge Viper but the GE brand was very fragile, the newer ones are just as sturdy as the 9005.

You need to modify the bulbs by taking about 4mm out of one of the plastic tabs on the bulb base. This is very easy to do and took me all of 2 minutes per bulb. The 9011 HIR bulbs put out 2350 Lumens vs the 1700 Lumens of the 9005 bulbs, and the color temperature is a bit higher at 3600K.

After installing them I was a bit disapointed. I compared one 9011 bulb with a 9005 and could only see about a 10% improvement just by looking at the headlights. However, last night I was drigin on a 2-lane highway and the first time I flicked the high-beams on I went "holy crap!". They are much brighter then the standard bulbs. I was lighting up road signs and reflectors from several 1000 feet. Road signs were so bright they were almost blinding. When I got back to my dirt road, I could see the imperfections in the road surface much better.

These are hard to find but you can get them by emailing the good folks at CandlePower . At $34 a piece, a very worthwhile upgrade in my book.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 2.5l
78 Posts
HIR bulb upgrades

Bonjour mon ami,

Did you get the bulbs from Daniel Stern? I spoke with him last week and am hesitating about the HIR upgrade. Did you swap your low beams bulbs with the H1 high-efficiency ones?

My lights are getting dimmer each day and I suspect that I will start my 2001 OBW one morning to discover my bulbs gone. I plan on replacing:

Low Beam: H1 Sylvania Ultra High-Efficiency 50 plus bulbs
High Beam: HIR bulbs
Fog Lights: 9006 All Weather Bulbs

I'll post another reply when done. The guy at Candlepower that I spoke with really knows his stuff.

Daniel S

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: HIR bulb upgrades

Daniel S said:
Bonjour mon ami,

Did you get the bulbs from Daniel Stern? I spoke with him last week and am hesitating about the HIR upgrade. Did you swap your low beams bulbs with the H1 high-efficiency ones?

Low Beam: H1 Sylvania Ultra High-Efficiency 50 plus bulbs
High Beam: HIR bulbs
Fog Lights: 9006 All Weather Bulbs

I'll post another reply when done. The guy at Candlepower that I spoke with really knows his stuff.

Daniel S
Daniel Stern = Candlepower. When I emailed Candlepower, the guy who replied to me was actually Daniel Stern!

I think they are not supposed to sell you those bulbs if you are replacing 9005 bulbs with them...

My OBXT has H7 in the low beams and I upgraded them to Osram Silverstars +50% bulbs. They are nice, but probably not enough of an improvement to justify the price.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 2.5l
78 Posts
HIR bulb upgrades

Yeah, this guy knows his candles. I will probably order the HIR's and do the install myself (on my Dodge Viper of course ;-)....

As for the Silverstar 50's, he does say on his website that there are two types of Silverstars, the Canadian Tire type (blueish tinted rubbish) and the non-U.S. version which he says are much better. Which ones do you have?

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for them and what else available is either better or legal? Like me you're in the snowbelt so those expensive blue tinted garbage bulbs could actually reduce your visibility in the snow.

I was in St. Pierre de Wakefield a few weeks back on a dirt road near Lac Lockhart (east side of Lac St. Pierre) and I wished that I'd have upgraded my lights beforehand. That neck of the woods gets pitch-black.

Daniel S

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
Seems us oubacks in Oz get short changed again...the high beams are HB3 (9005), and will take 9011 HIR, but the low beams are listed as H7, for which I cant see an equivalent HIR fitting.
Hope I am mistaken....No sign of an outlet down here carrying 9011 or 9012 yet.
jp 05 OBW 5spd 2.5

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the same thing we have here, HB3 and H7.

For the H7s I used some Osram Silverstar +50%. But it looks like the stock bulbs are already premium bulbs, as the improvement was minimal.

That's OK though, I find the low-beams quite good, and it's really on the high-beams that I need lots of light anyway.

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
Iceman, OK, I will get a set of the HIR high beams, hope the dealer doesnt crack on them at service....nearly 5 years of warranty to run yet. I am also a Champagne Gold, 5MT, but only cooking engine.
jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is no way for the dealer to know unless he removes the bulbs. Also, they are the exact same wattage, so there is no way they could damage your wiring.

Glad to see someone else with equally good taste in cars :)

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
Just pulled one of my high beams, and it is marked HB3 60W 12V on one side, and 9011 65W 12V on the other, so putting another '9011' in should not upset anybody..? Looks like its Mr Stern's shop for me....
jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5 Safety

·
Registered
76 Posts
Replacing 9005 Hi Beam with 9011 HIR

Thinking about ordering these bulbs from Candlepower in the US. They ship to Canada, but wondering if anyone from Canada has ordered these......is there additional duty or taxes? thks.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,419 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
19 Posts
I see the 9011 HIR1 tabs must be cut in order for the 9011 to fit into the 9005 housing? These are the tabs on the replacement bulbs and not the housing correct?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
Correct. There's a link on the candlepower site on how to trim them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts