Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted brighter lights than the stock yellow dome and cabin bulbs, so I upgraded them to the iBrightstar Dome Lights and, whaddaya know, their claim to being "Extremely Bright" in the product title was true o_O

SO, I was wondering if anyone else had this same "problem" and perhaps know of a solution to either dim them a tad by perhaps applying some sort of plastic/paper liner to the light itself (melting issues?) or the inside of the transparent housing plate. I had a similar problem with the super bright LED lamp I use in my tent that I "fixed" by placing a ping pong ball over it – maybe I need to just stop buying these blinding lights haha.

Just throwing it out there. I'm not sure if this comes with a simple solution I can find at the local Ace Hardware or if I should just get some new, less-intense lighting (also not a big or costly deal).

Reactions: LogicalPosition

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,494 Posts
Shower curtain makes a great diffuser for harsh lamps. Some dimming effect and a lot of softening.

Get a nice new one for the house and cut sections out of your old one as needed. Obviously it won't work with some patterns or colors but many have areas that can be used.

Yes, they can get too hot and have problems, but this is far from guaranteed. Be careful and have fun experimenting.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
Buy a lower wattage. That is literally what I did.

Those are 6W. I cannot even imagine. I don’t think I am running more than 1W anywhere, and my interior is plenty bright. One big reason I got low wattage LED everywhere was so if somebody accidentally left a light on while in the wilderness, my battery will less likely be drained. And this has turned out to be valuable. My daughter has left the dome light on at least 20 times overnight. The battery never drained. Also, I am running 6000K color everywhere. It had to grow on me, but I love it now.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
1,039 Posts
Buy a lower wattage. ...

Those are 6W. I cannot even imagine. I don’t think I am running more than 1W anywhere, and my interior is plenty bright.
I agree, buy lower wattage...

a 6w LED is equivalent to a 36 watt incandescent.. my stock dome is 8 watts, so 36 watts would be way too bright, and also risks overheating in the fixture, and draining the battery faster.. all bad

When I choose LED options, I first check the wattage of the incandescent lamp Im replacing. I then buy an LED that is about 1/3 the wattage. (LEDs are 6x brighter, watt for watt, so Im choosing double the output)

example, my stock dome light is 8 watts, so I chose an LED that is 2.5 watts to get double the lumens.

this post gives more details

cliff notes from that post:
dome and map lights are the same wattage and style of bulb, but the door lights are lower wattage (even though they fit the dome and map lights)

Also, the cargo light is not the same wattage as the license plate lights.. (even though they fit)

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stop buying super bright LEDs lol
Haha yea I know, I read super bright and thought "c'mon, how bright could they be?"

Everyone in my car at night:

Shower curtain makes a great diffuser for harsh lamps. Some dimming effect and a lot of softening.
What are the odds though that I'm going shopping for a new shower curtain today? Like seriously, it's weird that I wrote that down on the weekend to-do list last night.

Might simply invest in a lower-wattage bulb. I mean, these were only like ~$20 delivered

Thanks for all the input everyone!

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
A few years ago, I experimented with inexpensive generic lights off Ebay. Looking at receipts, I spent $40 and got many different colors and wattages. It paid off because I have exactly the lighting I want only because of the experimentation. I have enough bulbs left over to supply all my cars and siblings’ cars for the rest of our lives. The experiment turned into permanent placements, and I will not be buying brand name bulbs. I have had no problems with my lights for over 3 years. They just work. I think about my LED lights only when threads like this pop up.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
563 Posts
I bought the LED replacements from Subaru which cost stupid $$$. Put the first one in and yes is was a different color but just as wimpy light output as the stockers. Actually thought it was defective and put the other one in. :cry: Not recommended. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
The local auto parts store sells the same bulb Subaru sells you... the sylvania zevo bulb. I think they’re $9 or $10 each.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
741 Posts
I looked at the Subaru kit which came with either Sylvania/Osram or Philips. It’s been a few years and can’t remember which. I bought the same bulbs individually at Amazon instead for far less money and they have worked great ever since.

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
468 Posts
The clip from Raiders of the Lost Ark made my day! :ROFLMAO: Thanks BeanoSavage

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,966 Posts
Heh, the only thing the stock incandescents excel at is killing a weak battery by drawing waaaay more power than an inexpensive LED replacement. I replaced all my interior lights with LEDs having roughly the same equivalent output and reduced the load on the battery by 80%. The only place I bumped up the output a bit was the cargo light, where I put an LED panel. Even that draws less than the original incan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts