Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
After reading through many threads, and talking to a few members, I just order the rear sway bar kit from Subaru Parts On Line, as well as getting a set of Michelin Defenders to replace the OEM Contis (NTB was having a buy 3 get 1 free promo). Are there any other upgrades that "should" be done to help with everyday handling, as well as the drifting on the highway?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi All,
After reading through many threads, and talking ot a few members, I just order the rear sway bar kit from Subaru Parts On Line, as well as getting a set of Michelin Defenders to replace the OEM Contis (NTB was having a buy 3 get 1 free promo). Are there any other upgrades that "should" be done to help with everyday handling, as well as the drifting on the highway?
You could "slam" it :>

·
Registered
91 Posts
rear sway bar instructions

The attached pdf provides installation instructions and torque settings for the 19mm RSB upgrade.

Just a note - no need to lift vehicle or remove anything other than the old RSB.

You should notice a positive difference in highway handling after you install your new sway bar. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Hi All,
After reading through many threads, and talking to a few members, I just order the rear sway bar kit from Subaru Parts On Line, as well as getting a set of Michelin Defenders to replace the OEM Contis (NTB was having a buy 3 get 1 free promo). Are there any other upgrades that "should" be done to help with everyday handling, as well as the drifting on the highway?
...flux capicitor...?

How about a strut tower brace? Some forum members have posted improved handling after installing one.

·
Registered
982 Posts
...flux capicitor...?

How about a strut tower brace? Some forum members have posted improved handling after installing one.
I've also heard good things about the strut tower brace although its not as good of a mod dollar for dollar as the 19mm RSB. It just depends on how you want to spend your money.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I've also heard good things about the strut tower brace although its not as good of a mod dollar for dollar as the 19mm RSB. It just depends on how you want to spend your money.
...I have heard that those things are expensive...especially if you go with the one from Subaru. Aftermarket would be the way to on this one.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
...I have heard that those things are expensive...especially if you go with the one from Subaru. Aftermarket would be the way to on this one.
I put in a front strut tower brace from TANABE, I think it was around $120. It helps under hard cornering, but it makes a very minimal difference for around town driving. I have considered the rear brace, but don't want to be limited in what I can carry in the back.

Honestly, aside from the 19mm RSB, the biggest improvement I have done is increasing the tire pressure to 36 front/34 rear. It really tightened up the "turn-in" lean that really annoyed me on the OB. It also made the car run more true/straight at highway speeds (ie: less squirrely). This is with the stock Contis, so since the OP has already changed out his tires, not sure if this will help.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I put in a front strut tower brace from TANABE, I think it was around $120. It helps under hard cornering, but it makes a very minimal difference for around town driving. I have considered the rear brace, but don't want to be limited in what I can carry in the back.

Honestly, aside from the 19mm RSB, the biggest improvement I have done is increasing the tire pressure to 36 front/34 rear. It really tightened up the "turn-in" lean that really annoyed me on the OB. It also made the car run more true/straight at highway speeds (ie: less squirrely). This is with the stock Contis, so since the OP has already changed out his tires, not sure if this will help.
...and this is why I love this forum...you get insightful, helpful, and relevant information from users who have made changes/mods ect that you are thinking of doing. :29:

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...and this is why I love this forum...you get insightful, helpful, and relevant information from users who have made changes/mods ect that you are thinking of doing. :29:
Yup! I'm really digging the posters here, much good and relevant info.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi All,
Getting a good alignment done will help with the drift. I think there have been posts about using zero toe angle front and rear. For everyday handling, you have probably done all you can do without getting into lowering the car or stiffer springs. You may "feel" the effect of a front strut bar if you really push it on the road. How many miles are on your stock tires?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Getting a good alignment done will help with the drift. I think there have been posts about using zero toe angle front and rear. For everyday handling, you have probably done all you can do without getting into lowering the car or stiffer springs. You may "feel" the effect of a front strut bar if you really push it on the road. How many miles are on your stock tires?
Will have the alignment done at NTB (I had the 5 year alignment package on my Forrester, so it transfers over). I have about 2000 miles on the Contis. With living in a snow prone area, I've heard too many bad things about the Contis and snowy roads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
Strat64
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing