Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Black 2010 OB 2.5i Premium CVT
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any HP gain to be expect from upgrading cams??

I found this.....

N/A power white paper, long, please critique. - NASIOC

Its a pretty good read....

It says a 10-20hp gain can be head from replacing the heads. But I dont know about the newer OB's!

Ive been considering going to a junk yard and removing some cams from a 2010+ legacy or outback(with low milage) and having them reground... then replacing the ones in my current OB.

Over all..... if I can get a 25-30hp gain without going turbo....that would be nice.....:)

Im trying to do it the cheapskate way. 1 HP at a time :) :29:

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
10-20hp gain just with high end cams? Highly doubt it 5-10hp maybe though when the cams are changed up this can also impact timing and a few other things which translates to getting it retuned professionally or you'll probably have an engine thats not very happy in most cases.

The stock cams are designed to give you the best all around performance with the stock tune - so if you change up the cams - then you might gain some power in the top end or bottom end of the RPM range and unless the car is tuned for them chances are it won't run all that great at the other end of the RPM range etc.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
There is an age old Joke with the non turbo Subaru engines - if you want more power replace it with a turbo motor. It's far easier and costs less than trying to get any additional power out of the stock non turbo engine.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Just get the 3.6. Best option for more power. With cams you will need to retune the car also.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is an age old Joke with the non turbo Subaru engines - if you want more power replace it with a turbo motor. It's far easier and costs less than trying to get any additional power out of the stock non turbo engine.
If I new the CVT could handle the turbo I would put one on it! LOL

Well I would probably go for a supercharger....No turbo lag and better on gas.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
A cam change will probably fail a smog check. It most definitely will throw a check engine light.
If a cam change would improve power, fuel economy and emissions, Subaru would have installed it OEM.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good information to know! Now i know not to waste my money! :)

Im probably going to end up putting a manual in the bitch and changing out the engine to a legacy GT/WRX. I absolutely LOVE my OB, I love the space....Not the seats so much any more....I cant afford to trade it in for a 3.6. Plus if I get a turbo. I can gain even more performance vs the 3.6 and maintain the same MPG(25).

I dont know. The 3.6's sell for a premium here. I would prefer the 3.6 to have a 6 speed AT if its going to have an automatic.
My wife just got a 2012 VW GTI 6MT and its a joy to drive!! It's full stage 1 right now with the ECU tuned(which is a significant upgrade in HP). It FLIES!!!

She does not let me drive very often.... :(

:( I want that from my OB

Going from the GTI to Outback to GTI to Outback....MAN.....The outback is a turd LOL

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
^^I'm even going to vote that plan down. The engine mount and cradle is different. Unless you're up for fabrication you're looking at a lot of work. I say drive it as is and pocket spare change. Maybe get the Subaru credit card to pocket some subi bucks. Who knows maybe 2015 will get the new 2.0 Turbo 296hp CVT that Japan just got???!!!

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
^^I'm even going to vote that plan down. The engine mount and cradle is different. Unless you're up for fabrication you're looking at a lot of work. I say drive it as is and pocket spare change. Maybe get the Subaru credit card to pocket some subi bucks. Who knows maybe 2015 will get the new 2.0 Turbo 296hp CVT that Japan just got???!!!

Doubtful. CAFE is coming again soon.

·
Registered
2013 Green Outback Limited 2.5, Past Subarus owned: 2011 Ruby Red Outback 2.5 Ltd with Moon and other goodies, 2007 Outback Premium 5sp, 2000 Outback Ltd AT, 1997 Outback Basic 5sp, 1990 Legacy LS
147 Posts
I have wondererd for sometime why Subaru can not develope this engine to produce 200hp without turbos or superchargers. It seems that just about every other mfg has a 2.5 litre engine that produces 200+ and gets good mileage to boot. The "all new" 2013 engine was bumped less than 0.5% to 173 hp from 170. Big whoop!

Come on Subie, let your engineers lose and give us a class leading engine to go along with your class leadng AWD.

One can hope...

Rick G

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
cams - wikipedia or google it. there are possible gains but with a cost. it's a trade off - not a black/white yes/no thing. if you live and drive around 6,000 rpm's all day then the cams will be nice. if you play sometimes and then do some daily driving, upgraded cams will be nice when playing and annoying for the practical driving. there are mid-grade cams...but that's minor gains (roughly like this - I *think* it feels a little faster when i do this) for a lot of effort and money.

Personally, having done it to multiple Subaru's, it's not worth it. If you want a fast car - go get one. It's a waste to put resources and effort into something that will never be fast anyway. If you want more now you'll want more later....unless you're into novelty.

IMO The best fit for cams is maybe when the engine is coming apart or you're doing a hybrid and swapping various motor parts and such across generations, but that's a different story.

If you enjoy the process and having a long sig on subaru forums and talking about gadgets - then go do whatever you want, that's a different discussion from the practical side of hp, speed, and performance. if you want a fast vehicle an OB is not a great fit, i wouldn't want my OB to be any faster the way that thing handles!! LOL though mine has 200+ hp.

Deltacams has been specializing in Subaru cams for a very long time. They often have off-the-shelf options for popular cars like this so you don't need to go buy your own used cams.

AWD, sit higher off the ground, they are wagons and therefore handle as such, roof racks, big beefy looking fog light imbued bumpers, etc - they aren't really billed as performance gas mileage machines at all so they're not going to be a good fit for everyone. the sedans can get much better gas mileage. my father in law drives a 2009 casually and gets 30+ mpg easily in his auto. sedan and no ground clearance but not bad for AWD auto.

over the course of 300,000 miles the Subaru will shine over the "german engineering" in the VW which gives you all the driving experience (which is really sweet, most folks will like the feel and drive of them better) at the cost of practicality, maintenance, cost, and reliability. different vehicles that fit different folks. the comparison goes the other way...i would never want a german vehicle, they're far too impractical for my usage. the extra hp or performance means very little to me.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
i'm not sure on the 200hp comments and why subaru doesn't. but...

i'm not well versed in performance but horizontally opposed engines have twice as many heads, twice as many cams, more cam sprockets to turn, longer timing belts, and more...that will physically add up to additional weight, rotational mass, and friction. the question is ...how much?

that Subaru went from HLA's to solid lifters for performance gains (which they did in 1997), suggests all of those extra components do create some significant losses.

last time they tried bumping hp - they expanded piston size and bore of the engine and the engineers created a 13 year headgasket problem that resulted in 100,000 mile extended warranties, possible class action law suits, multiple headgasket redesigns, 3 different headgasket failure modes....an ongoing debacle.

maybe they don't want the engineers touching much for awhile or they're still busy working on headgaskets. LOL

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
I have wondererd for sometime why Subaru can not develope this engine to produce 200hp without turbos or superchargers. It seems that just about every other mfg has a 2.5 litre engine that produces 200+ and gets good mileage to boot. The "all new" 2013 engine was bumped less than 0.5% to 173 hp from 170. Big whoop!

Come on Subie, let your engineers lose and give us a class leading engine to go along with your class leadng AWD.

One can hope...

Rick G
What you don't realize though is how much better the torque is in the new model. It feel like a **** of a lot more power than the EJ at times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts