Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited Tungsten Metallic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a tear in our 2015 OB 2.5i Ltd on the left bolster of the drivers seat. I think I read others claiming this panel is vinyl, and only the perforated panels are leather. It's Ivory (Tungsten Metallic) and as a Ltd, multi-function electronic seat with heat. I suspect there was a crease and over time with me climbing in and out, the crease weakened and the vinyl split open .. about an inch now.

Any suggestions for repair? Are there places who can do a professional repair (I am in Canada) or is there a DIY solution that won't make matters worse?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
Any suggestions for repair?
You can still buy OE seat covers from Subaru parts. That might be the best solution in the long run. The seat pan and the seat back are two separate pieces.

Alternatively, a good auto upholstery shop should be able to repair it. At what cost, I don't know.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited w/ES, Wilderness Green
565 Posts
I had a tear in exactly the same spot on my 2015 Outback Ltd. I spent $10 on a 3M repair kit on Amazon and got almost perfect results. (And I'm pretty sure the panels are the bolsters are vinyl. Only the center panels are leather.)

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Fibrenew or ColorGlo would be able to repair it, although I'm not sure if either of those companies have a location close to Kingston. I've personally only used ColorGlo GTA and they were great!

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
681 Posts
Call around to body shops and ask them for a good upholstery shop.

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited 2.5i
1,131 Posts
Most used car dealers have a “seat guy” they use. I had one do a leather tear in my BMW and it was only $80

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the ideas

I emailed my sales guy at our Subaru dealer to see if he has any suggestions for upholstery repair in the area. I am hesitant to try the 3M kit since it's Ivory vinyl and my talent is limited. :wink2:

Thanks to the poster from Kitchener. I was figuring I might have to get the repair done in Toronto or Ottawa where there are more options.

I also have a small tear in the ceiling liner near the cargo area -- a tall plant with wooden stake poked a hole. Fabric is pretty flimsy.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2015 2.4l Touring With tech package
23 Posts
I used Blue Tent Upholstery here in Ottawa for a tear in the top of the driver’s seat in my other, not a Subaru, car. They did a great job. Also very reliable in that he sked the appointment ahead of time and had it finished a bit before he said it would be ready. However he didn’t repair the rip but rather replaced the small panel that had the rip in it. The match is so good you can’t tell it was ever damaged. The seat had to be removed to do the repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anything involving removing the seat to take the cover on and off involves a LOT more work than you might realize. I once tried to replace the seat cushion cover of a driver's seat (not a Subaru) and it easily took 24 hours of labor spread over many days for someone who didn't know what they were doing. Taking the seat out was a huge pain, especially due to airbag-related things to deal with. Then taking the seat apart to isolate the bottom piece was a huge pain. Then taking off the ripped cover was a massive pain, and putting the new one on was the biggest pain of all. Google "seat cushion hog rings". Then reassembling the seat and putting it back into the car. Often I would be stuck for hours at a time trying to figure out one tiny detail of how to do something, or have to run to the store for obscure tools. When I was finally done I swore that I would never DIY any car upholstery ever again. Professionals in this field are very deserving of what they charge, believe me.

If your tear can be sewn up somehow without taking the cover off, that's another story.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If your car is still under warranty, speak wit the dealership. It is unusual for a car this new to have a seat tear unless it was accidental damage. Or call SOA CS. Subaru is very good to work with on legitimate issues....

Reactions: huggy_d1

·
Registered
34 Posts
had same problem with my 2017 car. i fixed it with a place called COLORGLO GTA in vaughan. they were good, now another rip occurred along the line. the problem is with bad quality vinyl. i'm working with SUBARU canada on this - but they are resistant - i am pretty pissed. How r u??????

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Subaru Canada agreed to replace seat cover

To the previous poster and others interested, on Friday my Subaru service manager was able to get an okay from the district/regional manager to replace the seat cover under warranty. It's taken a few months to reach this stage, but I am pleased to hear this, especially since the lease is up June 3rd and we plan to buy out the residual and keep our OB. I was told to plan on having it in the shop for around 2 hours, and they will call me when the parts have been received to make an appointment.

This process started back in December, when they took pictures of the tear/rip when I was in getting my winter tires swapped on.

Best car and best car dealership experience I have ever had (in ~50 years of driving).0:)

Jimbo

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 outback in BC. Small tear left side of the driver seat. Same as everyone else apparently.
I'll ask the dealership what my options are when I next take it in for a service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts