Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I decided to gut my stock uppipe and just wanted to put some things I learned in the process out there for any other noobs looking to gut there uppipe. First thing I did was pick up an extra stock uppipe for 15$ in case I messed up getting the one on my car. Nothing’s worse than having your car be stuck because you broke a part. A lift is key here but I was able to do it with one jack under my driver side next to front tire. After you remove all of your heat shields spray every nut and bolt your going to have to touch because these cars are 10 plus years old and tend to have seized nuts. I have no experience at all but I followed the grim speed uppipe install video and was able to do it relatively easy. There’s a tab where the downpipe connects to the rest of the exuast and if you don’t unbolt it and pop the tab out of place the downpipe won’t move. I found using a flathead screwdriver to pry it in and out helps a lot. If your downpipe is having a hard time clearing the bolts on the turbo try pushing the downpipe with your feet from under the car. It’s a b*tch but it will come up with some help. When you get to th point that your uppipe is disconnected and ready to slide out get ready to have some fun.... there’s many recommendations online saying to take off a motor mount and jack up the engine but this is unnecessary. It takes some luck but if you twist and pull it will come out. Once you take it out and remove the egt plug it’s a lot easier to slide back in, but I ended up grinding a tab off the heat shield around the uppipe to make it slide in easier. There’s no good instructions on how to gut the uppipe and I would post a legitimate how to on it if I would have taken pictures but It’s honestly just a tedious job no matter what. I bought a long drill bit and followed the existing hole in the uppipe through the center and just made it wider and wider. Then I used a sharp flathead to chip away at the sides. Make sure your wearing a breathing mask and for bonus points you can attach a shop vac to the other side of the uppipe to minimize the debris and dust in the air because this stuff is toxic. Once most of the uppipe was gutted I took another sharp flat head and chiseled at the sides to smooth it out. Make sure your paying attention to what your doing because you don’t want to scar up and potentially crack the inside of your uppipe. Hit it with a wire brush and try to get rid of anything that could potentially get blown into your engine. KEY POINT I forgot to put a oil drain plug back into the egt bung and spent two days trying to find where my exuast leak was coming from. BE SURE TO PLUG THIS! For me everything went back togeter a lot easier than it came apart. I know it may not seem worth it especially for those of us balling on a budget but it’s so worth it to replace all your hardware and gaskets while everything is already torn apart. It seems super challenging but I have very little experience wrenching on cars and could confidently swap a uppipe in 2 hours after doing this. This was my first write up and my first post on this forum but I’m exited to be a part of this community! I’m sure the way I wrote this probably left a lot out so if you have any questions feel free to ask me and if this is in the wrong spot I’m sorry

1 - 1 of 1 Posts