Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's supposed to rain in an hour. Worst case I'll get a bag over it.

But anyway I tried to open the sunroof on my drive home today and it didn't open, so I just left it how it was since it wasn't closing while driving. When I get home the passenger side of the front panel is all of the way up, the drivers side of the panel appears "stuck" and in trying to get it closed I snapped both sides of the guides for the main panel.

How do I get my sunroof closed so that way when I have the money I can get it looked at or look at it myself?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
Well it's supposed to rain in an hour. Worst case I'll get a bag over it.

But anyway I tried to open the sunroof on my drive home today and it didn't open, so I just left it how it was since it wasn't closing while driving. When I get home the passenger side of the front panel is all of the way up, the drivers side of the panel appears "stuck" and in trying to get it closed I snapped both sides of the guides for the main panel.

How do I get my sunroof closed so that way when I have the money I can get it looked at or look at it myself?
This is happening to Frankie now.

"jiggle the handle" back and forth (the button and have someone push down. I can do it myself. I don;t know whats wrong, I have not investigated, I just keep it closed.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is happening to Frankie now.

"jiggle the handle" back and forth (the button and have someone push down. I can do it myself. I don;t know whats wrong, I have not investigated, I just keep it closed.
Well, I heard an audible "pop" of sorts and then it went right down. Just gonna leave it closed, and check it during the rain to make sure it's not leaking....

This just sucks, I hate knowing something on my car is broken.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
596 Posts
I had this happen to me and I had to remove the 4 nuts that hold the front panel in place and lift the glass out - look at where the shims are positioned before you lift it!
Once the front panel is out of the way, the back one should slide into place and the arms that hold the front panel will fold down into position.
At this point, you can replace the front panel, along with shims back in place and tighten the nuts then replace the trim that covers the nuts. Don't try to open it to see if it's fixed - it's not! But it is water proof if you got the front panel seated correctly.

I've done some searching on parts and they aren't easy to locate. Most places want to sell you an entire assembly for $1200! That ain't gonna happen with me! I'll silicone that sucker shut before I shell out that kind of cash!

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
I had this happen to me and I had to remove the 4 nuts that hold the front panel in place and lift the glass out - look at where the shims are positioned before you lift it!
Once the front panel is out of the way, the back one should slide into place and the arms that hold the front panel will fold down into position.
At this point, you can replace the front panel, along with shims back in place and tighten the nuts then replace the trim that covers the nuts. Don't try to open it to see if it's fixed - it's not! But it is water proof if you got the front panel seated correctly.

I've done some searching on parts and they aren't easy to locate. Most places want to sell you an entire assembly for $1200! That ain't gonna happen with me! I'll silicone that sucker shut before I shell out that kind of cash!
I wonder what some car with broken glass ... what they might sell parts for. I am going to need to fix Frankie. She was a hail car and I think the roof may have been broken and replaced. Always been misaligned.

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
Sorry, wrong picture above. That was an after.
Mine is the same, driver side bound up. I have a gap in the seam on the passenger side. Mine is clearly skewed.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, wrong picture above. That was an after.
That's exactly what mine looked like, but on the opposite side. Sadly, I ended up breaking the main piece to so like... F...gonna have to replace the whole thing If I ever want it to work, and my parts car is a flip over so no use in that moonroof either.

·
Registered
596 Posts
That's exactly what mine looked like, but on the opposite side. Sadly, I ended up breaking the main piece to so like... F...gonna have to replace the whole thing If I ever want it to work, and my parts car is a flip over so no use in that moonroof either.
Around here, the U-Pull It yards are all closing down and to get someone to remove the entire assembly isn't going to be easy. I'm still thinking about what I want to do.......

I know there are several other members in the same boat so surely one of us can come up with a solution?

·
Registered
2006 Outback LL Bean H6. Ivory interior, Moss green exterior. 132K
249 Posts
Around here, the U-Pull It yards are all closing down and to get someone to remove the entire assembly isn't going to be easy. I'm still thinking about what I want to do.......

I know there are several other members in the same boat so surely one of us can come up with a solution?
Wow, you guys are making me afraid to open my sunroof! I've only opened the pop up part so far. Be just my luck to get it stuck open.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, you guys are making me afraid to open my sunroof! I've only opened the pop up part so far. Be just my luck to get it stuck open.
Sadly it's the pop-up part that breaks all the time. However I can confirm, based off my previous outback the main section can still work even if the pop up part is broken.

·
Registered
15 Outback 3.6R
64 Posts
08 Outback: I did tear mine apart the other day and saw that the grease has dried up along most of the tracks. I re-lubed it and it seems to be working smoother but am still having issues with the front pop-up part. There was a very small plastic roller, on one side, that had disintegrated, leaving only the small metal roller. I have a strong feeling that this is the issue. I'll be looking for a way to recreate this piece. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
08 Outback: I did tear mine apart the other day and saw that the grease has dried up along most of the tracks. I re-lubed it and it seems to be working smoother but am still having issues with the front pop-up part. There was a very small plastic roller, on one side, that had disintegrated, leaving only the small metal roller. I have a strong feeling that this is the issue. I'll be looking for a way to recreate this piece. I'll let you know if I have any luck.
Hi, any luck with this?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi, any luck with this?
I had put this problem on the back burner for the summer. It gets so hot here that I'd rarely use it even if it did work!

I do intend to attack this problem again soon. On mine, it's the nylon/plastic part that has broken from age, heat or UV damage. I've been told you can't purchase these parts. That's surprising to me since this seems to be a common problem with our Outbacks?

If I do find a solution, I'll gladly share.

Warning: in an earlier post someone said the rear hatch would still operate even if the flip up front portion doesn't. My experience has been, each time I activated this after the parts broke on mine, the front flip up portion jambs in a bind and I was afraid it was going to break the glass! I had to unbolt the glass to get the slide mechanism back into position then bolt the glass back into place. Just a word of warning!

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
I do intend to attack this problem again soon. On mine, it's the nylon/plastic part that has broken from age, heat or UV damage. I've been told you can't purchase these parts. That's surprising to me since this seems to be a common problem with our Outbacks?
Well If I can get my hands on this little thing, I bet I can copy it and produce them. My rubber shop has all kinds of harder plastics and industrial urethane. Frank is currently doing the Same thing after sitting for 18 months. I don't want to open it. I bet I would need to but a whole dual sunroof from SuperRupair to get one. Unless there is a shattered sunroof. Then the mechanism may be able to be had for cheap.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
The plastic slides/rollers are "integrated" into rails. I've got the same issue (front portion won't pop up, but the main glass still moves).

You need to remove the whole assembly, drill-out the rivets and crimped end pieces of the rails, and MAYBE you can get the plastic slides to remove. This is also why Subaru doesn't sell those parts; it's not "serviceable".

I think some graphite-impregnated HDPE would be a great solution (sturdy and self-lubricating). Or just some HDPE with graphite-lube would be easier...

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
Most places want to sell you an entire assembly for $1200! That ain't gonna happen with me! I'll silicone that sucker shut before I shell out that kind of cash!
here this will help you feel better about that $1,200, a $9,000 part:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-OEM...A-/182728655206?fits=Make:Subaru|Model:Legacy

That's not a part I'd typically replace with new.
Last entire sunroof assembly I bought was $75. swap it out and done.
car-part.com

first one i found via google was $284:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/05-09-Suba...r-/183187165190?fits=Make:Subaru|Model:Legacy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts