Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Autumn Green
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to the forum and Subarus and am currently considering an Onyx XT. The question came up at the dealership as to whether or not navigation would work outside of the US. Nobody at the dealership could give a definitive answer - which was kind of weird. Anyway, I live in the US but make frequent trips to Canada, and I’m wondering if navigation system will work there or other countries as well.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Autumn Green
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I just gave them a call and they told me it does not work outside of the US.

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
231 Posts
I think the correct answer would be that it probably doesn't have the Canadian maps loaded to it. I would bet you can add this for a cost and i would think many northern dealers would get the customer need/ask/volume to have these available for install/download.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
379 Posts
Another thought: This dealer is near the Canadian border and exports cars to Canada at times. They should know.

You may want to contact them and see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,012 Posts
Thanks. I just gave them a call and they told me it does not work outside of the US.
I feel like I would have to speak with 5 different reps to get a real answer from someone who knows. I would take that with a grain of salt.
Can you scroll the maps and zoom in on something in canada?
I find it strange as most US maps for gps systems in the past I have dealt with group North American together, but I never used Tom Tom either. I dont see why it wouldnt work, other than if it didnt have the map info loaded (as stated by someone else above), which, Im sure could be rectified.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Autumn Green
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree and have spoken with four people there at this point :), and they’ve all told me the same thing. I think Apple CarPlay will probably be our best choice - that and a good old fashioned gazeteer.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
413 Posts
The 4th Gen maps include Canada, in my case on the East Coast DVD. - I've. used both that and Google Maps on our trip up there in 2018.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5 Hi-Yo, Ice Silver! Away!
193 Posts
That's strange because I have maps for Canada, USA and Mexico. Plus these were updated with the map update.
I thought the GPS in the car was like a regular Garmin / TomTom in that you get North American maps and those include both USA and Canada. I mean, Alaska (the place Russia sold to USA in 1867, so i guess it's one of the 50 states lol) is up north and you drive through Canada to get to it. Plus Subarus are the State car of Alaska and all.

Also my brother has an old Acura MDX 2007 with in car navigation that he used to make a road trip from Michigan to Ottawa and it helped him out in areas up in Canada where there were no cell signals and the White Walkers frequented the land.

I can plot a route to his home in Michigan easily with the car navigation plus I saved it as a favourite.

So if that Acura has maps of Canada, for sure the Outback does as well.

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5 Limited
6 Posts
Why don't you take an Outback for a test drive and type in a Canadian address? It should map out the route for you if Canadian maps are loaded.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,752 Posts
...Can you scroll the maps and zoom in on something in canada?...
Exactly. This takes all of 30 seconds to check. Zoom out, pan to Canada, zoom into a city and select a spot to navigate to. My 2015 NAV appears to be able to take me anywhere in Canada.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,012 Posts
Exactly. This takes all of 30 seconds to check. Zoom out, pan to Canada, zoom into a city and select a spot to navigate to. My 2015 NAV appears to be able to take me anywhere in Canada.
I would be really honestly surprised and puzzled if this cars nav doesnt also work in Canada. I dont know about the traffic, due to need for sirius radio - but the mapping in older outbacks def had it - like my 2013 and yours.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Autumn Green
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, now I’m just thoroughly confused. The Starlink customer service rep at SOA told me specifically that it does not function in Canada. Anybody with a US 2020 been in Canada and used their nav? I agree that it seems that it should work but I’d hate to pay for an option that doesn’t do what I ultimately want it to. Not to mention I’m not too keen on a sunroof, which they seem to make you bundle.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Touring XT
100 Posts
Go in to the map updates screen and it lists Canadian provinces and a map version for each. Also lists maps for Mexico.

If it doesn't work in Canada then they would have had to specifically disabled the function.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,752 Posts
Well, now I’m just thoroughly confused. The Starlink customer service rep at SOA told me specifically that it does not function in Canada...
I don't get it. Are you incapable of simply trying it out for yourself, as I suggested? GPS is a global system, all you need to confirm is the presence of map data. CS people are often not well informed.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,823 Posts
I don't get it. Are you incapable of simply trying it out for yourself, as I suggested? GPS is a global system, all you need to confirm is the presence of map data. CS people are often not well informed.
Looks like he doesn't have the car yet. That makes it a bit hard to try it out unless he makes. a trip tp the dealership and find a car with navigation on the lot. Far easier to ask on the forum.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts