Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,752 Posts
Simple. Pick up phone. Call dealer. Tell them a sale is on the line and provide instructions.
Anyway, I missed it, question answered by an actual 2020 owner. Not like there was any doubt. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
735 Posts
I know that when I updated my maps with the 2020 maps, the updated ones covered all of North America. The update was done with a USB thumb drive. It might be that if you update over the air, it would only download a regional subset....

I am guessing that the data base includes all Tim Horton's restaurants.....

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
379 Posts
HA HA -- For the record, this is the random restaurant that I picked out in Edmonton. Note that the GPS map showed the buildings in that area:

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
379 Posts
Simple. Pick up phone. Call dealer. Tell them a sale is on the line and provide instructions.
Anyway, I missed it, question answered by an actual 2020 owner. Not like there was any doubt. ;)
The takeaway from this is dealers and SOA are like the internet. Don't believe everything you hear.

The dealers should know better, but I've seen this type of lapse before.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,012 Posts
The takeaway from this is dealers and SOA are like the internet. Don't believe everything you hear.

The dealers should know better, but I've seen this type of lapse before.
as I said in my earlier post:
"I feel like I would have to speak with 5 different reps to get a real answer from someone who knows."

clearly, I was giving them too MUCH credit. Maybe it takes 12, and then a post on this forum.

But then that is why we all love this forum. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well, now I’m just thoroughly confused. The Starlink customer service rep at SOA told me specifically that it does not function in Canada. Anybody with a US 2020 been in Canada and used their nav? I agree that it seems that it should work but I’d hate to pay for an option that doesn’t do what I ultimately want it to. Not to mention I’m not too keen on a sunroof, which they seem to make you bundle.
The Starlink functionality may not work in Canada, I don't know if Subaru has a roam-NorthAmerica agreement, that goes with this. This could be what they were referring to.
The maps have worked in CA/MX, going way back, at least since 2010. The 2020 is MUCH more seamless, than say in the 2010/2013 ranges, where you had to go in and change the region, for most cross-state or province transitions.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
437 Posts
StarLink uses the ATT wireless network which doesn't exist north of the border...but that's independent of the NAV system.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Autumn Green
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the input everybody. Based on the information provided, I am going to go with the nav and will be looking forward to my first roadtrip north of the border!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,823 Posts
Thanks for the input everybody. Based on the information provided, I am going to go with the nav and will be looking forward to my first roadtrip north of the border!
Oh, so you are not in Canada. In that case, I strongly recommend getting a standalone Garmin GPS. While the built-in navigation is adequate, that is the best I compliment I can give it in my experience of road tripping with it.

My Garmin is better in every way imaginable for actual dependability and finding things in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

New to the forum and Subarus and am currently considering an Onyx XT. The question came up at the dealership as to whether or not navigation would work outside of the US. Nobody at the dealership could give a definitive answer - which was kind of weird. Anyway, I live in the US but make frequent trips to Canada, and I’m wondering if navigation system will work there or other countries as well.

Thanks!!
On my 2018 the navigation updates are coded for North America. Period. So, although I haven't tried it I'm fairly certain that this includes Canada and Mexico. It would be very surprising if the 2020 was any different in that regard. A query to the Subaru headquarters via their web site should certainly answer the question definitively.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi,

New to the forum and Subarus and am currently considering an Onyx XT. The question came up at the dealership as to whether or not navigation would work outside of the US. Nobody at the dealership could give a definitive answer - which was kind of weird. Anyway, I live in the US but make frequent trips to Canada, and I’m wondering if navigation system will work there or other countries as well.

Thanks!!
Folks, I've just read all of the replies here in reference to this question about Canadian/U.S navigation functionality, and I didn't see this quick answer to this question:

Based upon my considerable experience with TomTom GPS units over the years, if you simply plan a trip to a Canadian address from your current U.S. location....

If TomTom (who makes the unit in the 2020 OB) has the mapping for both countries, it will plot the trip based upon the roads in the U.S. and Canada it will need to reach the destination - you'll get the total travel time & distance for the trip.

No map? It will tell you (in so many words) "duh - I don't know!".

Question answered.

If I'm missing something, please let me know.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts